Random DCA brainstorm thought

I agree there could be some great ideas out there. really, in more than a few ways, especially on the DCI front, turning back some more recent ideas and going back in the past a little would actually be good. regional circuits. support for Open Class.

we do see cooperation with DCI and DCA corps outside the NE like never before ( tho no clue if they get paid for going to the shows or not...i'd say probably not much).

but...even with great ideas, there are going to be certain things that each circuit has going for themselves that do not mesh with the other...and trying to cram them into one will only make it worse

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for me, who marched in the 70's, I don't want what we had in the 70's. I like corps today without the amps and synths. That's all! I like everything about corps except amps and synths.

quote name='Jeff Ream' date='Aug 19 2010, 12:43 PM' post='2888812']

exactly. people who marched in the 70's want drum corps like they had it.

same for people from the 70's.

and the 80's

and the 90's.

and so on and so on.

I agree there could be some great ideas out there. really, in more than a few ways, especially on the DCI front, turning back some more recent ideas and going back in the past a little would actually be good. regional circuits. support for Open Class.

we do see cooperation with DCI and DCA corps outside the NE like never before ( tho no clue if they get paid for going to the shows or not...i'd say probably not much).

but...even with great ideas, there are going to be certain things that each circuit has going for themselves that do not mesh with the other...and trying to cram them into one will only make it worse

------------

Agreed - - BUT don't you think we ALL have vested interests in each other's worlds............ they are not entities in and of themselves.................. Cooperation is great, but that isn't what I am looking for...

I am looking for discussion, ideas, FROM ALL of us. Not just DCI leading the way or DCA - - bring it to the table TOGETHER and lets figure it out.

If we can't at least do that...............then we are all talking out of our #####.

i'm not talking competition. where have I gone on to say anything about how scores should be handled?

both circuits can and should help each other in the ways where they can. But...a junior corps and an all age corps are different beats, and at times, no matter how hard you try and force them to be, they will have to go their own way and do their own things. that is what I have been trying to get at all along.

------------

Agreed - - BUT don't you think we ALL have vested interests in each other's worlds............ they are not entities in and of themselves.................. Cooperation is great, but that isn't what I am looking for...

I am looking for discussion, ideas, FROM ALL of us. Not just DCI leading the way or DCA - - bring it to the table TOGETHER and lets figure it out.

If we can't at least do that...............then we are all talking out of our #####.

Brainstorm thought --

What if DCA took in every single corps in DCI that was not in the G7, and formed its own national all age circuit with an under 21-division?

Very cool idea! :innocent: How do we get that ball rolling?

Brainstorm thought --

What if DCA took in every single corps in DCI that was not in the G7, and formed its own national all age circuit with an under 21-division?

Just saw a similar thread on "open Class division" read Arena corps guys comments. pretty cool ! the title is G-7 and Open Class

Edited by toneslinky

Liz, you and Jeff are both right in what you are saying.....

However - - unless we are all willing to come together DCA, DCI, minicorps, ALUMNI's - - everyone and hash out a solution..................something - - we will all be left with nothing.

You can see the demise already with the state of DCI itself now - not including all the others.

Do I have a solution ? Nope. But I do know - - as with this and other threads.............there is NO coordinated effort to save any remnants of the activity because each party is in their own "well we have done it this way since the dawn of time, and we can't possibly change our thinking now" mode.

IF DCI or DCA were smart -- either one of these organizations or both could create a task force to put the whole "future of drum corps" issue on the table and at least get a coordinated, documented effort to do something, anything.

A task force doesn't cost a lot of money and you would have volunteers to sit on it in less than a minute coming out of your ears.

And it gets people talking face to face about the same concern DRUM CORPS - without the veil of message boards and comfort of the behind your screen computer zone.

NO ONE is willing to even do that. So what does that tell you?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the each party has a vested interest in what they others do....... so why not talk to each other and figure out ways to make sure we are ALL here in 10 or 20 years.

But instead of talking, each organization just keeps doing what they have known how to do, while money gets tighter, membership in most cases dwindles and some areas turn into something that doesn't even look like drum corps any more.

Just because it is not posted on this forum doesnt mean these discussions havent already started.

Your assumption about both circuits refusing to talk to each other is WRONG.

thanks for posting that Jay. that continues to be said and it is not true at all

As for me, who marched in the 70's, I don't want what we had in the 70's. I like corps today without the amps and synths. That's all! I like everything about corps except amps and synths.

I marched in the 80s and feel the same way. The amps and synths are not anything I care to hear or see.

Mike.....kids want to tour. going weekend only is going to chase kids away from marching...then those corps are dead with no kids.

I believe that there are far more "kids" who want drum corps to be a part of their summer....not all-consuming.

<snip>

...... but DCA does not need to get in the business of trying trying to run all age and junior corps too.

Jeff, it wouldn't be all age AND junior it's all-age with Open Class, Class A, and Class C-21 with a ceiling at age 21. They can even compete in the same show and have a 1st through last representing all three classes just as they do now with open and "A," since it would be the same judges with the same rules using the same sheets.

I believe the Open corps would dominate the top slots with the C-21's and A's mixing it up. Sort it all out by class at Rochester.

And, of course, those who wish to tour may still do so, just as they can now.

Joe