Random DCA brainstorm thought

thanks for posting that Jay. that continues to be said and it is not true at all

I agree... what Jay said. There has been more communication between the organizations in recent years than I can ever remember from back in the day.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that there are far more "kids" who want drum corps to be a part of their summer....not all-consuming.

<snip>

Jeff, it wouldn't be all age AND junior it's all-age with Open Class, Class A, and Class C-21 with a ceiling at age 21. They can even compete in the same show and have a 1st through last representing all three classes just as they do now with open and "A," since it would be the same judges with the same rules using the same sheets.

I believe the Open corps would dominate the top slots with the C-21's and A's mixing it up. Sort it all out by class at Rochester.

And, of course, those who wish to tour may still do so, just as they can now.

Joe

you'd be wrong Joe. with how drum corps has been marketed to the under 22 crowd, it's all about the tour. if there were that many kids that just wanted to do drum corps, corps wouldn't be begging for bodies at any level, and several corps that have folded would still be around.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm telling you it's reality. I'm still out there working with kids. I encourage kids to go to any corps at any level...and they all say "if I can't do the tour, it's not worth it".

and if you take away that option, even a partial tour, those corps that want to be weekend only corps would die out due to a lack of bodies. it's just a reality of the times.

I mean...think about it...if weekend only junior corps...or DCA corps....were that great of an option, why aren;t there more? why have corps died off?

if there were that many kids willing to do it, why aren't Brigs and Cru still out there with decent sized corps? or Sun? or half of the junior corps that used to be in NJ?

you'd be wrong Joe. with how drum corps has been marketed to the under 22 crowd,

<snip>

BINGO, Jeff..........marketing attracts the kids that it's aimed at. It still leaves all the kids that Hy Dreitzer, Tru Crawford, Joe Genero, and others attracted.

I'm thankful that there are still folks like you working with kids.....

I'm going back to "work" in September....volunteering during activity period on Tuesday and Thursday at a small coed non-public high school in North Jersey...I'll be teaching video editing as part of their participation in MSG Varsity.

They don't have a band or a football team, so I may eventually show them a short video I made at the Totowa, NJ Memorial Day parade of an all-girl glock and drum corps from a NYC HS (Mother Cabrini)....... I'll hook them one way or another.

Regards,

Joe

Just because it is not posted on this forum doesnt mean these discussions havent already started.

Your assumption about both circuits refusing to talk to each other is WRONG.

--------------------------

You didn't read my post................ I was talking about the organizations starting task forces to deal with the issue of the future of drum corps.

I am well aware they "talk" to each other. That isn't what I was getting at.

I believe that there are far more "kids" who want drum corps to be a part of their summer....not all-consuming.

<snip>

Jeff, it wouldn't be all age AND junior it's all-age with Open Class, Class A, and Class C-21 with a ceiling at age 21. They can even compete in the same show and have a 1st through last representing all three classes just as they do now with open and "A," since it would be the same judges with the same rules using the same sheets.

I believe the Open corps would dominate the top slots with the C-21's and A's mixing it up. Sort it all out by class at Rochester.

And, of course, those who wish to tour may still do so, just as they can now.

Joe

-----------------------

These are the kinds of ideas that need to be hashed out and discussed. Awesome!

Nothing is impossible, and if there is a TRUE interest in saving all aspects in the activity, then we can put aside the we did this, but we can't do that attitude and move forward.

--------------------------

You didn't read my post................ I was talking about the organizations starting task forces to deal with the issue of the future of drum corps.

I am well aware they "talk" to each other. That isn't what I was getting at.

I read YOUR post and fully understood what you meant and I will repeat that BOTH organizations ARE doing more than "talking" about the future of our 2 circuits and ways we can work together in the future.

Notice I said "circuits", Not "drum corps".

"Drum Corps" will always be "Drum Corps", Its NOT always about the 11 minutes the fans see on the field that makes it such a special activity.

Some people will understand what I mean and others wont.

See everyone in Scranton!

Well, this certainly turned into a vibrant and chaotic discussion. Cool.

I would expect nothing less from a LEE RUDNICKI thread... See you soon old friend...