Finals Review.

Blue Devils

I have always loved weird shows. Star 93. Blue Knights 02. SCV 01/10. The list goes on. BD has also had some of my favorite shows every year since 06. With that said, if I had a black ***, it's precisely what I would tell this show design to kiss. Yes, I'm familiar with the source material, and I was hoping that this would be a really cool take on merging the melodic with the dissonant. It ended up being... well... not that, even after multiple viewings. The membership should be congratulated wholeheartedly for their absolutely incredible performances. One of the best guards of all-time. GREAT hornline and drumline. This wasn't their fault. Even the big rock-out section toward the end would have normally gotten me really into the show, but given the context, it just wasn't happening. It's like farting into a metal trash can for 9 and a half minutes, then playing the guitar solo from "Layla." Sure, it's pretty awesome on its own, but seriously. You just farted into a metal trash can for 9 and a half minutes beforehand. And on that note, I'll stop talking about this show. *sigh*

Disclaimer 1: I have not seen any shows this year...

Disclaimer 2: I, too, find this description hilarious....

Having said that, I have heard similar complaints about BDs show this year. I do, however, find it ironic that you mention that you love Star 93, as (IMHO) you could say almost the same thing about THAT show. I guess I am one of the 3 folks who never got into that show, and the main reason is that it seems like 9.5 minutes of "Wha?" followed by 2 minutes of Awesome.

Carry on...

</DriveByPost2010>

Because of the fact that my sole income is from SS, I do not have the wherewithal to attend many DC shows. Marching with The Classic Cavaliers has given me the opportunity to view some DC performances. Consequently, I look to the DCP Reviewers to keep abreast of what's going on. While I am grateful to ALL of you who take the time & effort to report - this was, for me, the GREATEST REVIEW EVER!! Opinionated? Perhaps (though I don't think so) This was an, above all, Honest Review from the Reviewer's perspective. NO "Hidden Agendas", no "My Favorite Corps" bias, just an honest report of what was seen, heard, & felt. BRAVO!!!

Honest Review from the Reviewers perspective

I think just like with Star 93, this BD show will become a classic and referred to for years as a watershed in design and performance. I also think that it should have been atleast two points up on Cavies and perhaps the highest score ever. The comments about the trash can reflect the limited musical horizons of some.

or, it can speak to how many people feel.

I know what you mean..sort of like the opening scene in "2001..A Space Odyssey" when the apes were banging the monolith with sticks. They probably thought it was a fart in a trash can as well! Gotta love those lower primates!

so people who disagree with your view is a lower primate?

wow Plan, and here I thought you were being classy in victory.

so people who disagree with your view is a lower primate?

wow Plan, and here I thought you were being classy in victory.

Victory has nothing to do with this, but it does have to do with class. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you would confront me about my "lower primate" comment and yet say nothing to the original poster (and others) calling what they called BD's musical production. You may want to look through the rest of the review and see whether that tone was used elsewhere. I guess I'm just suggesting that if you are going to police the thread, you should do a balanced job of it.

well Plan....Mom always said if you can't say something nice, if you do say something, make it funny as hell.

:innocent:

And here i was hoping for you to praise my review as i toned my hatred of BD's show.

but here;'s the thing dude....do you go after people who take shots at other corps? no. Just BD. Drum corps is full of passionate people. some people may say things you find offensive. Same here. Personally I find being told I'm not educated, a hater, a lower life form, etc for not liking BD offensive.

No matter how hard you try, you can not play the DCP BD police. People dislike the show. accept it. live it.

But really....who is worse...the person saying the comment about the fart in a trash can, or the "defender of the faith" who comes in and calls people lower life forms?

cause really, for all of your bluster about how above it all you want to be, you sink to the level, if not surpassing it at times.

well Plan....Mom always said if you can't say something nice, if you do say something, make it funny as hell.

:innocent:

And here i was hoping for you to praise my review as i toned my hatred of BD's show.

but here;'s the thing dude....do you go after people who take shots at other corps? no. Just BD. Drum corps is full of passionate people. some people may say things you find offensive. Same here. Personally I find being told I'm not educated, a hater, a lower life form, etc for not liking BD offensive.

No matter how hard you try, you can not play the DCP BD police. People dislike the show. accept it. live it.

But really....who is worse...the person saying the comment about the fart in a trash can, or the "defender of the faith" who comes in and calls people lower life forms?

cause really, for all of your bluster about how above it all you want to be, you sink to the level, if not surpassing it at times.

Jeff,

I would like you to find any post in my history that maligns a corps...any corps!!! I am just not going to say something that I can't say to the kids themselves. They work too ####### hard to have a bunch of internet cowards (that would never confront them to their face) say hurtful things about their work, their effort! My guess is that the worst you'll find me saying is a corps' show is too much like everyone else's.

I don't care if someone dislikes BD or their shows, I really don't. Hell, I've been with them for 3 years, I think I know that's a useless battle. But I confront those that use hurtful, destructive language. And I feel very comfortable going after such posters. They deserve to get what their giving. But in balance all their doing is typing...think about what those kids are doing! And in answer to you comment about ONLY defending BD...again I ask you to trot out some examples of the kind of language DCP is comfortable using on other corps like they use on BD...I'll wait!

Also you can be passionate without being grotesque. I popped in for one reason only, and it certainly wasn't to make fans out of this crowd. It was because of the phase that some thoughtless blockhead used to describe the work of a great corps. You can easily not like something without dishonoring it or those that are presenting it.