Finals Review.

or, it can speak to how many people feel.

Lots of people like Nickelback, but that doesn't make them artistically noteworthy in the long run.

If there's anything history has taught us, it's that true visionaries are rarely ever understood or popular in their time. They think too far ahead to be accepted by a large majority of their peers. This is true in the arts, science, and many disciplines, even our own drum corps activity. Few would have predicted after finals in 1993 that Star's show would have become the fan favorite that it has in the intervening 17 years.

Am I saying the Blue Devils 2010 show is one of these? Not necessarily. Only time will tell. But I think it would be rather foolhardy to ignore the fact that hindsight is always 20/20, and none of us have that yet.

Personally, I think the past 3 years the Devils have shown that they're pushing the depth of design to levels never seen before in the activity. At the beginning of the summer, I absolutely hated the musical book. But every time I saw the show it grew on me a little more, and by this point I must admit it's one of my favorite shows of the decade. The complexity of the production they put onto the field makes me feel like I'm unraveling another layer of the mysterious story woven by a masterful artist and executed flawlessly by some of the most talented performers in the world. This happens again and again, every time I watch it, which I find incredibly intellectually stimulating. I struggle to find this in other corps as of late, where it feels like I've hit the "bottom of the design hole" (so to speak) after only 3 or 4 viewings. It's the Nickelback of drum corps. Eleven and a half minutes of power chords.

Is this what the audience-at-large wants? Right now, no, probably not. Is this where the activity is going? Only time will tell. But at least in the short term, a large panel of highly trained adjudicators likes what they see, and I would tend to agree with them. The folks in Concord are taking a radically fresh approach to the activity, and whether it lasts or not, I certainly appreciate the tenacity and bravery to look at things in a different way.

You may now resume your "We don't need no stinkin' design, play loud on G bugles because I'm goin' deaf!" discussions and commentary.

First of all, thanks for the review Rubble. The parts I read were pretty enjoyable and its great to get another perspective on the season. I honestly haven't seen enough of anyone's show to be able to agree or disagree with anything, except that I do agree that the Bluecoats ending could have had just that little "something" added. I don't know what or how that could have been, but after watching it a couple times, I just wish there was something more.

Maybe thats a good thing?

Anyway. On to the BD/rest-of-the-world debate.

Honestly, I saw the show on the Fan Network and thought it was cool as hell! Visually. The things they did with the mirrors were awesome! The music was forgettable, but I can forgive them for that, they haven't done much for me musically since the Sweeney Todd organ theme they played in 2008.

They deserved their victory. They pleased fans who had the right mindset and personality. Not everyone can like this show! It's not a question of open-mindedness (usually) as much as it is that the music just isn't as accessible as other corps' may be. In the OP's case, I don't think he went in there with a closed mind. He just didn't enjoy it much. No big deal.

• 3 weeks later...
' ... farting in a trash can ...' Brilliant! While their show was not my favorite, they really did play it with conviction. I just hope this kind of show doesn't become 'the new normal' for the activity.

Personally, I enjoy farting.

However, farting continuously into a metal trash can in excess of 9 minutes would drive ANYONE crazy!

I could totally see a BD alum from 2010 reading this and thinking: "Gee..............can't really make out what this guy typed because of the gleam coming off of my 2010 DCI World Champion ring..........."

I could totally see a BD alum from 2010 reading this and thinking: "Gee..............can't really make out what this guy typed because of the gleam coming off of my 2010 DCI World Champion ring..........."

Well, they do get bigger rings than anyone else, and they do like to wear them at all times, so I can see it happening. :tongue: (Disclaimer, it was a joke)

I see other Posters mentioning "Design" as opposed to interpretation of the Musical Book. Allrighty then...

BD '10 was WAY over my head musically, but Design-wise neither they, nor any other Corps, has come close to approaching The Cavaliers '08 "Samurai". IMO, THIS was a show which, in years to come, people will watch and wonder "how did this not win?".

• 1 month later...
I see other Posters mentioning "Design" as opposed to interpretation of the Musical Book. Allrighty then...

BD '10 was WAY over my head musically, but Design-wise neither they, nor any other Corps, has come close to approaching The Cavaliers '08 "Samurai". IMO, THIS was a show which, in years to come, people will watch and wonder "how did this not win?".

Because 2008 was awesome, for all the top 6 corps except maybe one (that had a less-than-stellar script). The shows are just so much fun to watch and listen to. Hell, a bronze in 2008 is just as good as the gold in a few other years (IMO). Awesome summer for drum corps.

• 3 months later...

you know for those criticizing the farting into trash can comment, if you read it he wasn't saying that BD sounded like they were farting into a trash can. It was what is called an analogy. He thought the end of the show was great but that the rest was not (his opinion). Just like 7 minutes of FITC followed by 2 minutes of Layla Solo would be something great that was preceded by something not so great.

Never once did he say BD was analagous to farting in a trash can

• Like 1