Rules Change proposals for DCP-I XV

This is the place to make your rule change proposals, voting on the rules will begin next week... so have all of your ideas submitted before Monday. Please post in the following format:

Proposal:

Rationale:

Effect on the activity:

Submitted by:

for example... from last year:

Proposal: Add INT as a competing corps with a corps cost of 1 point.

Rationale: Because they rock the house and blow the doors down at shows all across the country. They need to be recognized

Effect on the activity: Would allow DCPI to recognize the greatness that is INT, as well as expanding cost options for lower-tier corps

Submitted by: Matt Briddell, Kosmos- with the encouragement of Mike Boo

Please note that me and JohnD have final say on all rule changes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proposal: Predetermined amount of Caption Changes

My proposal would allow corps to have a alloted amount of changes to use per season. Once a corps had used them all up, they were locked with those captions for the duration of the regular season. The alloted number of changes could be finalized by committee (but less than amount of weeks) . However, I feel that the graduated point increase should stay in place as we know it. That would prevent people from choosing the max number of points from the outset. However, with this change you would also be able to make unlimited caption changes per event during the regular season. During finals week, we would keep the same system of possibly changing 2 captions per day as we currently abide by.

Rationale: To increase the Strategy involving Caption Changes and when to change captions.

Effect on the activity:

From a gameplay standpoint, this would change the way corps directors look at making changes. This would also eliminate the "1 per week" rule for caption changes. Directors would also have to plan changes in advance since there would be less changes than weeks (a midseason rewrite). Corps may choose to save thier changes until late in the season, allowing more corps to have success early in the season.

From a Technical standpoint, There is already coding for changes that is used during finals week. This could be rewritten to be a total number for the season.

Submitted by: James Hensley, California Knights

Would have to talk to John to see how hard it would be to add that programming to what we already have in place. And would need some clarification... for the number of changes... for instance.. lets say we choose 10 changes. Does that mean 10 total captions, or that you can submit 10 total caption sets...

The reason for the 3 caption change limit per week was to make it more realistic... so you dont have a corps going from scoring a 68 one week to a 85 the next by changing all of their captions around.

Edited by CincinnatiGloryMello

In a way, it seems like we already have a "maximum" number of caption changes with the weekly limits. Plus, as far as the "maximum points" thing you mentioned, there's an easy way around that- just figure out what your "maximum score" captions would be, set those, then just knock one of them down by five points and build it up as the season progresses.

In a way, it seems like we already have a "maximum" number of caption changes with the weekly limits. Plus, as far as the "maximum points" thing you mentioned, there's an easy way around that- just figure out what your "maximum score" captions would be, set those, then just knock one of them down by five points and build it up as the season progresses.

Pretty much what people do now.

Proposal: Predetermined amount of Caption Changes

My proposal would allow corps to have a alloted amount of changes to use per season. Once a corps had used them all up, they were locked with those captions for the duration of the regular season. The alloted number of changes could be finalized by committee (but less than amount of weeks) . However, I feel that the graduated point increase should stay in place as we know it. That would prevent people from choosing the max number of points from the outset. However, with this change you would also be able to make unlimited caption changes per event during the regular season. During finals week, we would keep the same system of possibly changing 2 captions per day as we currently abide by.

Rationale: To increase the Strategy involving Caption Changes and when to change captions.

Effect on the activity:

From a gameplay standpoint, this would change the way corps directors look at making changes. This would also eliminate the "1 per week" rule for caption changes. Directors would also have to plan changes in advance since there would be less changes than weeks (a midseason rewrite). Corps may choose to save thier changes until late in the season, allowing more corps to have success early in the season.

From a Technical standpoint, There is already coding for changes that is used during finals week. This could be rewritten to be a total number for the season.

Submitted by: James Hensley, California Knights

This is the way it used to be back in the day. The problem we had was with directors waiting until the end of the season, seeing what the winning directors captions were and then copy those with a slight twist, and go from last to finalist in a week. This difference this time is that we don't post all captions with scores like we used to but it still wounldn't be that hard to figure out if someone wanted to.

I don't have a rule change per se but I would like to discuss the notion that our tour schedule were to be realistic. This season we had quite a few corps hopping the pond quite a few time which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't back to back nights. Do we want to have realistic tours or not? If so lets come up with a system that having a unrealistic tour has some concequences.

My inital thought, is this would all be on the honor system because to program the scheduler to prevents such tours would WAY too much work. Back to back show must be within 1,000 miles, 2 days 2,000 miles, etc. If flying over seas there must be at list one day in between shows.

If challenged by another director and the show was determined to outside the guidelines, said corps will encure a one time only 1 point penalty on their next show.

Now if we determine that any schedule is cool then..............................this message will self destruct in 10.........9...........8..........7..........6..........

I don't have a rule change per se but I would like to discuss the notion that our tour schedule were to be realistic. This season we had quite a few corps hopping the pond quite a few time which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't back to back nights. Do we want to have realistic tours or not? If so lets come up with a system that having a unrealistic tour has some concequences.

My inital thought, is this would all be on the honor system because to program the scheduler to prevents such tours would WAY too much work. Back to back show must be within 1,000 miles, 2 days 2,000 miles, etc. If flying over seas there must be at list one day in between shows.

If challenged by another director and the show was determined to outside the guidelines, said corps will encure a one time only 1 point penalty on their next show.

Now if we determine that any schedule is cool then..............................this message will self destruct in 10.........9...........8..........7..........6..........

I definitely agree with the need for more realism in the touring schedules. There were a couple of corps who wreaked some minor havoc with the Sweepstakes contest by doing one show in England one day and a show in Texas the next- forced me to come up with a spur of the moment ruling on how to score them. This is an issue I've tried to address through writing the actual schedule, but I think I'm going to submit a formal proposal later today. Either something to the effect of "Corps must declare a region they'll compete in and stay in that region for a certain amount of time" or "Corps must take X days off between shows when touring outside of their region"

I was all for the "regional" system when it was shot down before... but the problem is going to be, how to enforce it? It would have to be the honor system, or like Bill mentioned... being called out by other directors then having a one time penalty or something.

Proposal: Expand list of caption choices from three years to five.

Rationale: Having over 100 corps/year selections to choose from would have a two-fold effect: it would make life more difficult for the "spreadsheet savants" (myself included) while increasing the maximum number of top caption sets available. This, combined with the generated scores used in off-season, would allow more players to be within one or two tenths of the top caption picks and have a shot at the gold.

Effect on the activity: Increase competitiveness by making high scores attainable by more players.

Submitted by: Kevin Pogue, Glory of Music

Edited by hostrauser