Rules Change proposals for DCP-I XV

Proposal: Random caption point increases (1-5) each week.

Rationale: Would keep the game fresh: no one could plan out they entire season because no one would know what the next week's total available points would be, including championships week.

Effect on the activity: Increased randomness, less predictability in off-season.

Submitted by: Kevin Pogue, Glory of Polaris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proposal: Increase base starting point values by 10 to 145 (World) / 5 to 110 (Open) / and 0 (A).

Rationale: World Class corps should be scoring 97s/98s by finals, not 95s; more spacing is needed between the classes; the challenge of A Class is the minimal number of caption points in play, no need to ruin that effect.

Effect on the activity: Negligible

Submitted by: Kevin Pogue, Glory of Music

Proposal: Increase base starting point values by 10 to 145 (World) / 5 to 110 (Open) / and 0 (A).

Rationale: World Class corps should be scoring 97s/98s by finals, not 95s; more spacing is needed between the classes; the challenge of A Class is the minimal number of caption points in play, no need to ruin that effect.

I agree with the bump to World Class, but let's consider that in DCI, Open-class corps are achieving similar results. I'd agree with your increase for open-class, but also suggest an increase for class A as well. I'd do this:

World: Start at 140, end at 145

Open: Start at 115, end at 120 (this would be a reversion to the way D2 was a few seasons back)

A: Start at 95, end at 100

I agree with the bump to World Class, but let's consider that in DCI, Open-class corps are achieving similar results. I'd agree with your increase for open-class, but also suggest an increase for class A as well. I'd do this:

World: Start at 140, end at 145

Open: Start at 115, end at 120 (this would be a reversion to the way D2 was a few seasons back)

A: Start at 95, end at 100

The problem is that in DCI, an Open Class 90 is not comparable to a World Class 90. In DCPI they are, since every corps uses the same caption possibilities list. That's why I want spread between the three divisions.

Remember when Divisions II and III in DCI were allowed to advance to Division I Quarterfinals? Their scores would go from 92-95 in Division II/III to 75-80 in Division I.

I like this a good bit, I was actually going to write a similar proposal, actually... I believe it was the exact.

I also agree with a more 'realistic' tour schedule, with a more regional Regionals.

At the start of XIV I really didn't know any different, so I plotted my tour based on if I wanted to be at this show, I had to hit these two shows on the way there. Was fun too - some of the shows were small (5 or 6 corps) and some were huge! When I charted it I had no clue what they were going to be.

Even if it doesn't change, I still plan on plotting my XV tour in a similiar fashion (I'm real glad I didn't have to worry about travel costs and fuel, etc.).

Proposal: Random caption point increases (1-5) each week.

Rationale: Would keep the game fresh: no one could plan out they entire season because no one would know what the next week's total available points would be, including championships week.

Effect on the activity: Increased randomness, less predictability in off-season.

Submitted by: Kevin Pogue, Glory of Polaris

In theory, yes. Reality, no. The director that keeps the best slate should be rewarded, now major contest will be decided on the randomness and not skill. I'm trying to think of something to throw a wrench in our thinking but this isn't it.

Proposal: Tour routes. Instead of selecting your tour, show by show, you select a week long tour in the week prior to a major regional or focus show. This can even be done for the complete tour.

Example: Instead of picking between: Oxford, MS, Sacramento CA, and Madison WI on the 12, Memphis TN, Boston MA, San Francisco on the 13th. ETC...

You will now pick between a west tour (Sacramento, San Fran, etc) for 4 shows. A south tour (Oxford, Memphis)... Mid West, North, Europe etc...

Rationale: To eliminate unrealistic "pond hopping" and "regional hijacking"

Effect on the activity: A change to the tour selection page but the code should remain the same, also... this will eliminate the tour selection editor. As far as coming up with the tour, Matt shouldn't have to do any major changes... He already thinks this way

Submitted by: Cloudhype, Mystré

Proposal: Tour routes. Instead of selecting your tour, show by show, you select a week long tour in the week prior to a major regional or focus show. This can even be done for the complete tour.

Example: Instead of picking between: Oxford, MS, Sacramento CA, and Madison WI on the 12, Memphis TN, Boston MA, San Francisco on the 13th. ETC...

You will now pick between a west tour (Sacramento, San Fran, etc) for 4 shows. A south tour (Oxford, Memphis)... Mid West, North, Europe etc...

Rationale: To eliminate unrealistic "pond hopping" and "regional hijacking"

Effect on the activity: A change to the tour selection page but the code should remain the same, also... this will eliminate the tour selection editor. As far as coming up with the tour, Matt shouldn't have to do any major changes... He already thinks this way

Submitted by: Cloudhype, Mystré

This is good on paper, but I do think the schedule editor should be retained, that way you can still switch, just on a week to week basis rather than a day to day. Also, would your model see corps having to attend all shows in that "mini-tour", or would they still be free to pick and choose?

For the sake of asking, how many directors routinely use the schedule editor once the season gets underway? I switched a couple shows last year with my lower-division corps, but not too extensively.

In theory, yes. Reality, no. The director that keeps the best slate should be rewarded, now major contest will be decided on the randomness and not skill. I'm trying to think of something to throw a wrench in our thinking but this isn't it.

One way would be to pick corps and not know the years... The years would be random. For instance

BD 07

BK 07

SCV 09

Cad 08

MAD 10

Cav 08

etc....

You would build your scores based upon past experiences, but would have to adjust to the trend of each caption.