Rules Change proposals for DCP-I XV

This is good on paper, but I do think the schedule editor should be retained, that way you can still switch, just on a week to week basis rather than a day to day. Also, would your model see corps having to attend all shows in that "mini-tour", or would they still be free to pick and choose?

For the sake of asking, how many directors routinely use the schedule editor once the season gets underway? I switched a couple shows last year with my lower-division corps, but not too extensively.

This was a quick thing that popped in my head. My idea is blended, you pick the mini tour, you are in it for the long haul... no more having a show in Montgomery AL and the next day, your at Las Vegas for the West regional final. Also, you pick you shows in between the mini tours.

As far as the tour editor, I didn't use it at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proposal: Entry limits at contests

Details: Contests will be categorized into 3 categories (small, medium, large), based on the location and venue available. Small events (at local venues w/ seating of 5000 or less- your typical high school show) would have a limit of 12 corps entering the contest, medium events (at large HS/small to medium college or municipal stadium- think any Texas show, Walnut CA, etc) would have a limit of 16 corps, and large events (any venue over 20,000, think the Bowling Green KY CLASS show) would have a limit of 20 corps. Entry would be on a first-come, first-serve basis, regardless of division. Separate World and Open/A class shows would still appear on the schedule as focus shows for the purpose of Sweepstakes points and establishing finals week seeding; there would be no limits on attendance at these shows.

Rationale: One of the "problems" we've always seen is the issue of trying to make the tour schedule more realistic, and 30-40 corps at a show is just not realistic. I've tried to address this in past seasons by simply adding more events to the calendar, but what usually happens is "Show A" has 25 corps and "Show B" has 5. With attendance limits in place, we could have more balance at various events.

Since there is no longer a "minimum" number of shows that corps need to attend to be eligible for spots in finals, extra caption points, etc as in past seasons, the issue of being limited in the number of shows you can potentially attend is reduced.

Example:

Schedule for Wednesday, Jan 15th:

Tour schedule:

East: Newark DE (large), Orono ME (medium)

Midwest: Fairfield OH (small), Carbondale IL (medium)

West: West Covina CA (small), Hillsboro OR (medium)

South: Huntsville AL (large), Melbourne FL (small)

Effect on the activity: Would diminish size of individual shows, which would be balanced by increasing the number of shows available. This would require a bit more programming by "The Management" on the front end, but not much beyond that. Would allow us to do "regional-split" touring as we've done in the past (ie having more shows in New England, doing both a California and Pacific NW tour simultaneously, etc).

Proposed by: Matt Briddell, director of Kadence

Proposal: Reinstate prior regional touring rules, but with more flexibility

Rationale: In earlier seasons, there were various rules for touring in the first half of the season. These included:

Corps must designate a region as their "home base"

Corps had to compete at the same regional championship as their "home base" region

Corps could not tour outside their "home base" region during the first half of the season

My proposal is as follows:

Corps must designate a region as their home base when they first register. When a corps is registered, they must compete in that region for the first week (defined as the initial weekend and the following full week) of the season and during the week of the regional championships. Beyond that, they are free to tour wherever they wish. There would be no touring restrictions after the regional championships are complete.

The regions would be set as follows:

East: New England states, NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA, WV, DC, Quebec, Ontario

Midwest: MI, OH, IN, KY, IL, WI, MN, IA, MO, ND, SD, KS, NE

South: NC, SC, TN, GA, FL, MS, AL, AR, LA, OK, TX

West: CA, OR, WA, MT, WY, ID, CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM, AK, HI Alberta, British Columbia, Mexico, Japan

Effect on the activity: Would lead to more realistic touring while still allowing and encouraging out-of-region touring, would lead to larger attendance at certain regional finals (esp. East and Midwest)

Submitted by Matt, Kadence

Proposal: Entry limits at contests

Details: Contests will be categorized into 3 categories (small, medium, large), based on the location and venue available. Small events (at local venues w/ seating of 5000 or less- your typical high school show) would have a limit of 12 corps entering the contest, medium events (at large HS/small to medium college or municipal stadium- think any Texas show, Walnut CA, etc) would have a limit of 16 corps, and large events (any venue over 20,000, think the Bowling Green KY CLASS show) would have a limit of 20 corps. Entry would be on a first-come, first-serve basis, regardless of division. Separate World and Open/A class shows would still appear on the schedule as focus shows for the purpose of Sweepstakes points and establishing finals week seeding; there would be no limits on attendance at these shows.

Rationale: One of the "problems" we've always seen is the issue of trying to make the tour schedule more realistic, and 30-40 corps at a show is just not realistic. I've tried to address this in past seasons by simply adding more events to the calendar, but what usually happens is "Show A" has 25 corps and "Show B" has 5. With attendance limits in place, we could have more balance at various events.

Since there is no longer a "minimum" number of shows that corps need to attend to be eligible for spots in finals, extra caption points, etc as in past seasons, the issue of being limited in the number of shows you can potentially attend is reduced.

Example:

Schedule for Wednesday, Jan 15th:

Tour schedule:

East: Newark DE (large), Brockton MA (medium)

West: West Covina CA (small), Hillsboro OR (medium)

South: Huntsville AL (large), Melbourne FL (small)

Effect on the activity: Would diminish size of individual shows, which would be balanced by increasing the number of shows available. This would require a bit more programming by "The Management" on the front end, but not much beyond that. Would allow us to do "regional-split" touring as we've done in the past (ie having more shows in New England, doing both a California and Pacific NW tour simultaneously, etc).

Proposed by: Matt Briddell, director of Kadence

We had this in FDCI, only problem we had, sometimes Dr. Jeff would have to create more shows.

I like the idea and I think it can work hand in hand with a "tour route" idea. Maybe we can call label the "regional split" with the cities... Like Mobile (Gulf Coast split), Nashville (Tennessee valley split). That might eliminate the need for a tour route system except for Regionals.

Later in the season, we call it like (Madison Focus Split) (Denver focus Split)

Edited by CloudHype

We had this in FDCI, only problem we had, sometimes Dr. Jeff would have to create more shows.

I like the idea and I think it can work hand in hand with a "tour route" idea. Maybe we can call label the "regional split" with the cities... Like Mobile (Gulf Coast split), Nashville (Tennessee valley split). That might eliminate the need for a tour route system except for Regionals.

Later in the season, we call it like (Madison Focus Split) (Denver focus Split)

We've done a 2-leg tour late in the season a few times in the past; as I recall we did this the last time finals were out west.

We're going to be requiring directors to register their corps before the tour schedule is released (instead of the other way around), this should prevent the "having to add or eliminate shows" issue.

We're going to be requiring directors to register their corps before the tour schedule is released (instead of the other way around), this should prevent the "having to add or eliminate shows" issue.

:lle:

Is Season XV here yet? :thumbup:

Proposal: Random caption point increases (1-5) each week.

Rationale: Would keep the game fresh: no one could plan out they entire season because no one would know what the next week's total available points would be, including championships week.

Effect on the activity: Increased randomness, less predictability in off-season.

Submitted by: Kevin Pogue, Glory of Polaris

I brought this same proposal last year and it was shot down quicker than a malard during hunting season. I think this is the rule that needs to pass.

In theory, yes. Reality, no. The director that keeps the best slate should be rewarded, now major contest will be decided on the randomness and not skill. I'm trying to think of something to throw a wrench in our thinking but this isn't it.

The skill is working the CURRENT captions. You have 136 point and then are given 3 more. How do you work that? Skill?

Why bother having a season when everyone picks their 140 captions, works backwards 5 points and just progress through the season knowing what your outcome is going to be. May as well go straight to the end of the season and be done with it.

More like a live season, you don't know what the final outcome is therefor you just work with what you have.

The skill is working the CURRENT captions. You have 136 point and then are given 3 more. How do you work that? Skill?

Why bother having a season when everyone picks their 140 captions, works backwards 5 points and just progress through the season knowing what your outcome is going to be. May as well go straight to the end of the season and be done with it.

More like a live season, you don't know what the final outcome is therefor you just work with what you have.

Vs... Figuring out the max for any point with a set of captions with in 3 changes. I have a set for every point possible, all within 3 changes of each other. Trust me, I could do it, not that hard... just screws the new guys over. Matter of fact, I make very few changes in my off seasons, maybe one or two captions per change. Points going up a down... fun times.

No difference what so ever if you know how to constantly place in the top 6 now... you could (and more then likely) make top 6 again.

FDCI had a randomization to your caption. Two corps could have the same caption set and get a different score but the difference was tiny and you could pick a different set to counter your week caption. Much harder to figure but would require a reworking of the numbers and new code on JohnD's part. From what I understand, Dr. Jeff had some pretty extensive code going on.

Change the total points, have more years to work with and you will find more fresh faces near the top. When a max set at finals gets you 27th at quarters... That is what we need. Also, no changes in finals week would cause an uproar but trust me, I had finals set that would not make finals if I used it during quarters. When a corps all of the sudden pops a big number at finals, like early 2000's Crown in guard... you wouldn't want a point less at quarters. You have to decided if the weak quarters score is worth the reward. THAT is what we need.

Matter of fact, I'm going to purpose that now.

Edited by CloudHype

Proposal: Elimination of finals week caption changes during the off season

Rationale: By eliminating the caption week finals changes, we create the possibility that a max set at finals might not indeed make finals due to poor scoring Quarters or Semi scores. This will create a risk vs reward situation in caption selection.

Example... You have 2005 INT for brass with a cost of 17 points. INT scored an 19.1 at finals and is a prime caption for value but at quarters, INT scored an 17.2 in that caption. You are know stuck with INT 05 and their 17.2 for quarters, you can not use INT 04 (17 points) and their 19.2 at quarters (but scored a 17.8 at finals) and simply change at the next round.

By removing the caption change, you have a risk of not making finals despite having the best caption set for finals. History has shown this to have happen on several occasions in FDCI.

Effect on the activity: Balance to the league and new strategies come into off season play.

Submitted by: Cloudhype, Mystré

Edited by CloudHype