Rules Change proposals for DCP-I XV

So far, the only proposals I see that may cause a problem with getting them implemented would be the tour routes one submitted by Mystre. Not sure how we would arrange that in the schedule editor.

Matt, we already have the programming in place for the show limits (but it is limited by class totals... not overall). Would just need to test it again.

As far as adding seasons to the Off Season selections... I have data all the way back to 2006. So that would be 5 years of choices... if decided on, I may be able to find the data for the previous years. But getting that data into the database is a very time intensive task.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I volunteer my time if there's anyway I can assist remotely.

If the proposal passes for 5 years of data... I have that... so as long as its not more than 5, we are good. We would use 06, 07, 08, 09, and 2010 data.

I don't have a rule change per se but I would like to discuss the notion that our tour schedule were to be realistic. This season we had quite a few corps hopping the pond quite a few time which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't back to back nights. Do we want to have realistic tours or not? If so lets come up with a system that having a unrealistic tour has some concequences.

My inital thought, is this would all be on the honor system because to program the scheduler to prevents such tours would WAY too much work. Back to back show must be within 1,000 miles, 2 days 2,000 miles, etc. If flying over seas there must be at list one day in between shows.

If challenged by another director and the show was determined to outside the guidelines, said corps will encure a one time only 1 point penalty on their next show.

Now if we determine that any schedule is cool then..............................this message will self destruct in 10.........9...........8..........7..........6..........

Just FYI I have always put together realistic tours for all my corps each season. Any overseas plans had days in between traveling from US to Europe or Europe back to US. And I have corps (3) are separated by 2 oceans to begin with.

Proposal: Elimination of finals week caption changes during the off season

Rationale: By eliminating the caption week finals changes, we create the possibility that a max set at finals might not indeed make finals due to poor scoring Quarters or Semi scores. This will create a risk vs reward situation in caption selection.

Example... You have 2005 INT for brass with a cost of 17 points. INT scored an 19.1 at finals and is a prime caption for value but at quarters, INT scored an 17.2 in that caption. You are know stuck with INT 05 and their 17.2 for quarters, you can not use INT 04 (17 points) and their 19.2 at quarters (but scored a 17.8 at finals) and simply change at the next round.

By removing the caption change, you have a risk of not making finals despite having the best caption set for finals. History has shown this to have happen on several occasions in FDCI.

Effect on the activity: Balance to the league and new strategies come into off season play.

Submitted by: Cloudhype, Mystré

It could still happen now in DCPI and does...even with the 2 change per day. There is always risk of letting go of a caption for Quarters and hoping you get it back for Finals (someone takes that set). I would not be in favor of this. We still need to give directors options at finals week. I do not want to go back to anything like FDCI lock in captions (oh man those were locked in mid-season).

It could still happen now in DCPI and does...even with the 2 change per day. There is always risk of letting go of a caption for Quarters and hoping you get it back for Finals (someone takes that set). I would not be in favor of this. We still need to give directors options at finals week. I do not want to go back to anything like FDCI lock in captions (oh man those were locked in mid-season).

It happens in the live season but not the off... I've made top2 twice my 3 off seasons and never had a caption duplication during finals week and in my 3rd season, I was 6 minutes late with my change (therefore it did not get put in) or else I would of been 3 for 3 in the top 2 for my off seasons (That is the same two directors in the top two for 3 straight off seasons). One of those seasons, I would of not made finals with my set if I had to use it all week. I can't speak for Matt but he could of been in a similar boat.

Well be happy with the same ol same ol top 12 in the off seasons then.

Make your set for finals week and stick with it... That will create a more of a feel that we have in the live season. We have 15 options through out the season, that is more then enough.

Edited by CloudHype

It happens in the live season but not the off... I've made top2 twice my 3 off seasons and never had a caption duplication during finals week and in my 3rd season, I was 6 minutes late with my change (therefore it did not get put in) or else I would of been 3 for 3 in the top 2 for my off seasons (That is the same two directors in the top two for 3 straight off seasons). One of those seasons, I would of not made finals with my set if I had to use it all week. I can't speak for Matt but he could of been in a similar boat.

Well be happy with the same ol same ol top 12 in the off seasons then.

Make your set for finals week and stick with it... That will create a more of a feel that we have in the live season. We have 15 options through out the season, that is more then enough.

I don't agree. It happens more in off since you KNOW the scores coming plus every one gunning for the same 6 sets of scores the final day before Finals. I know the last off season I would not have done as well if I didn't have that last change during finals week that I found...it just gives options. Anyway I think if we make the other changes of increasing the points and increasing to 5 years will help the whole deal for off season. But again personally would like to keep the change options open during finals week (if needed).

Are we also generating scores for FINALS night in WC? That can help too with random placements.

I think we usually do generate finals scores for the Off season... would have to look back in the past rules proposals.

Proposal: Extend caption change deadline from 4:00pm CST to 7:00pm CST

Rationale: Allow participants living in timezones outside Central Standard Time (more specifically outside U.S. time zones) elbow room (per se) to submit captions. For example, Pacific Standard time runs 2 hours behind CST, meaning captions are due at 2:00pm, which for most people is during normal working hours. In Japan, this measures out to 6:00am in the morning. Adding three hours to the due time can allow a bit of a comfort zone for these time zone residents to submit captions. 8:00pm CST I think is more suitable, but during the live season, this might run over into score announcements of east coast shows.

Effect on the activity: Most directors would not be affected by this change and during the live season, the deadline would still fall before show score announcements. As scores for DCPi are not announced until the following day, this should not affect the tabulating process either I would think. Residents in Europe would not be affected as the deadline already fell well into the night.

Submitted by: Edward Escobar, Raincross

Proposal: During odd-seasons, instead of picking a corps/year combo for each caption, we can take an average finish for the last 5 real years and have that as the basis for a corps' captions. The year generated for a corps would be based on random selection by the system.

Rationale: No more selecting just "the best" and riding them out. Makes off-season a bit more realistic, and allows for some more random finishes.

Effect on the activity: Mystre doesn't jump from 30th to 5th in finals week. :innocent: Actually, gives rookies a chance to play without feeling overshadowed by the greatness that is Mystre, Kadence, The plethora of Knights, and the Lakers. :tongue:

Submitted by: Toby, Great Lakers/WYAA