2010 Bluecoats Baritone Solo

Would have been GREAT if we could have heard it un altered , instead of that octave divider.

Great playing though.

became one of my 3 LEAST favorite moments of 2010

1-Cavies soloists trying to scream into a mic.

2- Bluecoats bari soloist ruined by octave divider

3-Jeffrey .

Dumb contribution to a thread started by the soloist wanting to share something very cool.

Patrick,

So glad you had the experience you had these last few years. It made an old man smile seeing you being your BA self up there wailing away when i saw the broadcast in the theater. I was having some pretty bad shoulder pain that night, but I stayed long enough to see you play before leaving.

Proud of all you've done with yourself and your playing in your drum corps years. Can't wait to see where your professional life leads you.

Take care my young friend... and Kudos... you and your drum corps were awesome this summer.

Alan, this means more to me than you probably know. Thank you for being there in the beginning and sparking a mentality of excellence and passion for music.

Dumb contribution to a thread started by the soloist wanting to share something very cool.

I don't know. The word "great" was in his post twice. I think his admiration for the soloist is unreserved. Pity you can't (or won't) distinguish the performing from the performance.

I didn't see the show once all summer, but congratulations to the Bluecoats. And that solo does look sick. A bari player I marched with tells the story of BD's soloist in "Everybody Loves the Blues" from 83 and how he had no idea you could do that with a bari horn. Could this be that kind of moment?

That was probably my favorite moment of the whole year.

I just watched it again on the fan network, and while I think the effects are appropriate, and contextually correct, I'd like to hear a recording of it without the effects, just to add some appreciation.

If you go to YouTube and search for the Gadsden, AL encore then you'll find one.

I think this might be the only recording out there of the solo WITHOUT the mic. The mic stand actually broke during the show, making me improv my position to maintain the effect. So that is why it isn't out there during the encore performance. Not the best quality video but again, it is probably the only one out there.

If you want to fast-forward, it starts at 7:52.

Edited by idlethreats
YouTube link removed

he had no idea you could do that with a bari horn. Could this be that kind of moment?

That solo's well, doable if you don't flinch and get any thought in your head that it's impossible... it's a marvelous hell-beast of a ride and I'd need to sit down and work it out and think it out for a couple hard-core woodshedding sessions screaming at myself to get the right feel for it, then practice it all ding-dong day for weeks on end to get it into some kind of sembalnce of consistency- I'm also glad to read Patrick put his own spin on it- my guess is he took some rides and placed them into his personal strengths, which is extremely cool.

Thanks for sharing this, Patrick. It gives me a personal challenge to mess with that I need to have. And hey- Don Ellis experiemented with Ring Modulators and stuff back in the late '60's... it also made for a different challenge to play with all that rolling into the picture as well, I;d think.

Patty,

Your solo was really bad. In fact the worst I have heard all summer... scratch that... my life

Both Jay Z and I hated your auto tune, and in a lot of ways I've never really even liked you as a person.

Your facial hair is also really ugly, and your ego is disgusting.

jk...kinda

you rock

go Blue

Okay, so anyone who didn't like the electronic effects added to the solo and who posts something saying so is personally attacking the actual soloist?

Nah, I don't think so. I hated the electronic effect. In fact, the culmination of all the electronics kind of ruined this show for me. I still love most of it where there is no electronic effect, but man, there were a LOT of electronic effects this year.

I thought Bluecoats were awesome this year, but I wish the staff hadn't made the decision to add all the electronic effects to it. I'm happy Bluecoats finished in the top 3 this year, but I'm not going to lie or hold back my feelings on the electronics to spare someone's feelings who is obviously an intelligent person. I think you can tell if someone is aiming "hate" your way or if they are just talking about their opinion of something. Great job on that solo though man. I too wish I could have heard you without the electronic alteration but that's life I guess. My view is not important. As long as you had an awesome summer, that's the important thing. It's nothing personal, I just despise electronics in drumcorps. Go BLUU!! :sad:

Edited by Cardman