2010 Bluecoats Baritone Solo

The Bluecoats baritone solo is one of the coolest things I have ever heard.

AND HE NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your solo was really bad. In fact the worst I have heard all summer... scratch that... my life

Both Jay Z and I hated your auto tune, and in a lot of ways I've never really even liked you as a person.

Your facial hair is also really ugly, and your ego is disgusting.

heheheh ... good to see the "family" atmosphere I remember from my years in the Bluecoats (and still experience in all my interactions with fellow alumni) is still going strong.

:lle::thumbup:

Blloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved the bari solo as well as the mello solo.

Too bad the jerk behind me decided to voice his opposition to amplification during the mello solo. Very loudly I might add.

Ruined the whole moment for me.

geTbys-1.jpg

Here is the Baritone solo from Asphalt Cocktail that I played. Isn't EXACTLY as Doug wrote it, but I put my own spin on a few measures.

Try it out! It was an incredible experience working on and playing throughout the season.

You did an amazing job. I think I saw you guys 4-5 times this season and you nailed it each time. AMAZING!! Also, LOVED the Coats show. My Fav show of 2010. You guys were amazing. Congrats on a fantastic season and bringing home some bling!!

Would have been GREAT if we could have heard it un altered , instead of that octave divider.

Great playing though.

became one of my 3 LEAST favorite moments of 2010

1-Cavies soloists trying to scream into a mic.

2- Bluecoats bari soloist ruined by octave divider

3-Jeffrey .

You get more and more ridiculous with each post.

Kid posts his solo (a really GREAT solo) and your reaction is to throw out a "compliment" followed by announcing it was one of your least favorite moments.

Class. You have it.

Listened to the Gadsden version of the solo- If you've ever ridden the 90+ MPH "Phantom's Revenge" Coaster Kennywood Park, it's the bari equivalent of that. I was told I screamed like a little girl when I rode it from the near vertical 90 +MPH drop to the moment it stopped...

The question is, Is the Octave Divider basically a modern digital version of Ellis' analog Ring Modulator? If it's doing something similar, it's not a crutch.

-to play this solo, whether you're amped or not, you're in such an extreme register at times that you're playing it with your pedal to the floor anyhow. If you held back dynmaically and try to get coy or try and get conservative with the air column in the bari, you'll get a "Massive Epic Baritone Fail". I'm certain Patrick can back me up on that. He's not tryng to pinch it out at a whisper into the mike- he PLAYS the solo like a man. :thumbup:

-Also, if the timbre is altered like I'm thinking it is, that's also something very alien that you're dealing with in what I term your " mental musical performance loop". Play- listen, decide, adjust, this is constantly going through your head at an insane rate as you play when you're on top of the game. You're sounding totally different than you've ever sounded, and you've got to adjust your way of thinking about how it's to sound and how you react to adjust if it's not correct. It'd take a lot of getting used to and acclimation time to be comfortable with that. From what I've read, Ellis was constantly practicing and experimenting with the Ring Modulator and Echoplex so he could use it with ease. I'd think the same would apply with this octave divider until you felt mentally comfy. Just my 2 cents.

Listened to the Gadsden version of the solo- If you've ever ridden the 90+ MPH "Phantom's Revenge" Coaster Kennywood Park, it's the bari equivalent of that. I was told I screamed like a little girl when I rode it from the near vertical 90 +MPH drop to the moment it stopped...

The question is, Is the Octave Divider basically a modern digital version of Ellis' analog Ring Modulator? If it's doing something similar, it's not a crutch.

-to play this solo, whether you're amped or not, you're in such an extreme register at times that you're playing it with your pedal to the floor anyhow. If you held back dynmaically and try to get coy or try and get conservative with the air column in the bari, you'll get a "Massive Epic Baritone Fail". I'm certain Patrick can back me up on that. He's not tryng to pinch it out at a whisper into the mike- he PLAYS the solo like a man. :smile:

You couldn't be more spot on with that statement! Any dip in air-stream and the notes just wont happen. The same goes with mental awareness, it just wont work without it. I'm not sure of the effect, you'd have to ask Doug Thrower for that one. I know he got the idea from a Tenor Sax player that uses it on one of his albums that utilizes 3 different effect pedals.

Also, if you check out the Atlanta Regional on the fan newtwork, there is another example of the solo ALMOST without effect... It's very faint, very baritone heavy.

PS: Thank you to all that have complimented!! It's very cool to read what people have to say about it.

Edited by idlethreats

Your solo was really bad. In fact the worst I have heard all summer... scratch that... my life

Both Jay Z and I hated your auto tune, and in a lot of ways I've never really even liked you as a person.

Your facial hair is also really ugly, and your ego is disgusting.

heheheh ... good to see the "family" atmosphere I remember from my years in the Bluecoats (and still experience in all my interactions with fellow alumni) is still going strong.

:blink::tongue:

Blloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait... what? That was a Bluecoats thing? Uh-oh.

No wonder I don't have friends outside of drumcorps. :smile:

Well...one thing's for sure...

Ya ain't playing that solo on a 2 valved G bugle anytime soon....unless you can master some false tones.