2010 Bluecoats Baritone Solo

Go here. It's the Asphalt Cocktail page of John Mackey's website. His whole site is great, acutally.

Thanks. That really does help appreciate even more the effort of the solo in the show.

I posted the sheet music up merely to share the experience with others who love this activity as much as I do. Bashing electronics and whatever else, making arguments is really not the intent of this thread. WITH that said, I agree with both sides. YES it would be nice to have a good recording without the electronics.. However, I'm pretty open-minded with modern marketability and always looking for new ways to event myself as a player. I mean, I play euphonium as my primary, I have to do something or else I won't be noticed. I think the effect is really innovative, at least in this activity, and provides the listener with something unexpected. This summer actually made me more interested in the idea and making me want to pursue it more on my own. I mean really, check out the stuff that Roland Szentpáli is doing with his tuba recordings, WOW!!

I think it's kind of interesting that Bluecoats did something this year that Don Ellis was doing...what....40 years ago?, and some in the drum corps community are complaining about it being "too modern", even though Ellis is one of the undisputed non-marching gods of the activity.

If Ellis were alive, and interested in drum corps at all, I'd have to believe that he'd want to see the hornlines experimenting with some of the technical elements they're now beginning to play with. I'm not generally a fan of synths, but if corps are going to use them, at least I want them used to create sounds that couldn't be heard naturally - like what was done with this solo. :thumbup:

I want to thank this player for posting his solo. It is rare to have one of the performers on this site commenting about their own show. And thank you for transposing the solo to 'G'.

Now I have a request: if at all possible, can you record your solo to a metronome beat and post it (without the additional electronics)? All of us old guys/wannabes want to see just how high you've set the bar.

Thanks again.

I posted the sheet music up merely to share the experience with others who love this activity as much as I do. Bashing electronics and whatever else, making arguments is really not the intent of this thread. WITH that said, I agree with both sides. YES it would be nice to have a good recording without the electronics.. However, I'm pretty open-minded with modern marketability and always looking for new ways to event myself as a player. I mean, I play euphonium as my primary, I have to do something or else I won't be noticed. I think the effect is really innovative, at least in this activity, and provides the listener with something unexpected. This summer actually made me more interested in the idea and making me want to pursue it more on my own. I mean really, check out the stuff that Roland Szentpáli is doing with his tuba recordings, WOW!!

Patrick, you are an amazing player and thanks for sharing your solo. Follow your passions wherever they take you

and you'll be just fine.

I don't know how long that link will last.. So if it gets taken down, just search YouTube for Patrick's Solo - Bluecoats 2010

I'll try to get a recording of it with a met, I'll just have to find some time. Just started classes back up last week.

I don't know how long that link will last.. So if it gets taken down, just search YouTube for Patrick's Solo - Bluecoats 2010

I'll try to get a recording of it with a met, I'll just have to find some time. Just started classes back up last week.

Did you ever push up the Bb Treble Clef version I sent?

Honestly, if people want to see/hear things differently, then get on staff with a corps or start you own. We should be a little more appreciative of what we do have considering the current state of the activity and how difficult it is to keep it going.

if the only people that could post about shows were people that marched or taught that particular show, there would be no message board.

do you also get angry if fans question the play call on 4th down and 1? perhaps if they wanted a different play they should just become NFL coaches?