No Open Class DVD?

According to my son who marched in OC Finals with Forte, there's no OC Finals DVD. It's going to be posted for download only on DCI's Fan Network. He was told this way the OC corps can get more of the profit by not paying for the cost of producing a DVD. They have OC Quarterfinals already for download for about $19.99 or $2.99 per corps.

I believe that you are correct. And this is complete BS. I actually produce DVDs, and given that we have source material, it is really fairly inexpensive. For instance, authoring can be done for low thousands, a glass master about the same, and then each copy could be around $0.17... Seventeen cents! If we just authored and then gang blasted recordable dvds, the quality of the actual disk (*not the video quality*) would definitely be lower, but the cost would be very inexpensive as well. My guess is that DCI just does not support OC well. We are stuck. And $19.99 is a very high price. Should be closer to $5-$10, if movies are any indicator. I used movies that are not that popular as a reference point here.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that you are correct. And this is complete BS. I actually produce DVDs, and given that we have source material, it is really fairly inexpensive. For instance, authoring can be done for low thousands, a glass master about the same, and then each copy could be around $0.17... Seventeen cents! If we just authored and then gang blasted recordable dvds, the quality of the actual disk (*not the video quality*) would definitely be lower, but the cost would be very inexpensive as well. My guess is that DCI just does not support OC well. We are stuck. And $19.99 is a very high price. Should be closer to $5-$10, if movies are any indicator. I used movies that are not that popular as a reference point here.

I don't see you mentioning licensing costs anywhere in your analysis.

The whole idea of pressing DVD's is already so '00s.

Streaming or downloadable content is the future. Netflix knows it (notice how they're not named "DVD-in-the-MailFlix"). If the OC directors voted to get rid of the physical disk in a box content, it only shows that they understand how the new generation of viewers get their content.

I called DCI (317-275-1212) and the rep said they will not be selling Open Corps video. They will have video download available in the next few months. I ask why. She stated she was not given any reason for that decision. I am so very disappointed in DCI for this decision. It seems that when it comes to Open Class, DCI and the G7 are both on the same page.....

Does nobody read the threads before responding? See Tom's post earlier, the OC corps themselves voted to go this route because it saves them money *and* gives more money back to the corps when they sell digital downloads.

This is a *good* thing!

Mike

Aren't they aready paying the licensing costs to do the video downloads? Are there additional or different licensing costs to make a DVD versus electronic download?

Yes - I don't know the specific costs involved, but licensing-wise, they're considered two completely different animals.

Mike

I don't see you mentioning licensing costs anywhere in your analysis.

You are right, but I believe that DCI already owns the content. At any rate, my analysis was on the processing alone as you mention.

The whole idea of pressing DVD's is already so '00s.

Streaming or downloadable content is the future. Netflix knows it (notice how they're not named "DVD-in-the-MailFlix"). If the OC directors voted to get rid of the physical disk in a box content, it only shows that they understand how the new generation of viewers get their content.

I am in the business of Web 2.0. In spite of netflix and Youtube, monetizing content on the internet is a very tough game. As for new generation of viewers, you are right here, but how many of you will actually buy as opposed to free download etc... Netflix offers streaming for FREE. Hulu is FREE. Fancast is FREE. Not so easy to collect $20 per head...

However, I will buy the BDB DVD when they make it.