No Open Class DVD?

i will admit i'm bummed, i'm really not into the downloading craze.

shame, i liked a lot of the OC stuff I saw this year.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you that Netflix is absolutely NOT free. I get money taken out of my account every month by them, which means it is not free. I agree that this is the way of the future. I do not buy books, newspapers or magazines anymore, I simply download them onto my Kindle. I still pay for the content, but I am not paying for the paper, ink, shipping, storefronts, sales employees, etc. I think the OC Directors are spot on with this and expect that the WC corps will be going this way very shortly.

Simple misunderstanding. Netflix online is free to Netflix subscribers. It was great guns for about 2 qtrs, but has been disappointing since. This is from Reed Hastings and their VP marketing, whose name I don't want to post here. As for books, newspapers etc... there is no video component that requires high speed... I think that OC directors should take a look at hollywood, who focuses on high quality entertainment, and maybe on broadcast TV. The streaming that is available now just cannot deliver the high levels of quality that BlurRay can. As for the overhead, you are right it is cheaper to put something on the internet. But for those of us interested in a high quality experience, 5.1 sound, and true high definition, streaming video is a very poor substitute. As for me, DCI will not get a penny of mine using this distribution model. BTW, I won't pay for Netflix to stream their video either.

I do not remember the numbers, but the pretty packaging was the expensive part. That stuff just collects dust. These kids have all their videos and music on the ipod, itouch, and laptops. This was not a DCI "powers that be" decision. We made the choice. The kids were ok with it....what else matters?

We do pretty packaging in China for about 20 cents a copy.

As for what else matters, what about the fans? I am glad that the kids like it, but we play a lot of DVDs in this household, and my kids all have them. None of my 3 in the activity like this at all. And, there is no better screen in the house than a high definition TV running at 1080P, and about 60 inches.

I know how to back up my files silly gooses. I'm a child of the digital age. However, I'm still wary of just keeping stuff digital. I still like tangible things like that. Makes me feel better about myself I suppose.

you also have to add shipping and handling to the DVD order. There is most of your cost. No S & H on a download.

Right again. Shipping is about $1, and handling depends on how you want to charge. Amazon charges $1.99 for shipping and handling anywhere in the US. Not a major cost, and usually borne directly by the consumer. One a previous note, our legal tells me that for most royalties, the costs are similar or the same for DVD or streaming. The actual DVD royalty is paid by the company making the player, and that is passed on to the consumer. Downloads are not free, but disk space and internet connections are usually covered elsewhere as are PCs. Content storage is not free either for the distributor. And DRM costs for those content owners that do not want pristine digital copies floating around the net are not free.

My bottom line, for a ton of reasons, DVDs and BluRays are very nice to have and most important. Digital Copies are nice, but you still either have to connect your PC/IPSTB to a HDTV, or burn to disk or watch on the PC, which is not that popular in the US. Streaming is a distant 3rd option, which really is too bad for those of us that want high quality music and video. It is the 2nd cheapest, but most cost analysis should include lower demand for the streaming and digital only models.

I am not thrilled video download. They could have offered it in one of the WC bundles instead of the CD. I would rather have a bundle with WC and OC VIDEOS than the attached CD involved in the bundles DCI is currently selling. Also, by the price we have all paid for the DVD's DCI sells, they are definitely making a profit from sales vs. cost of production.

As for downloads, music I have no problem downloading music. In fact, as I previously stated, I would prefer this so I can have only the corps I want on the CD.

Plus, there was also the disappointment of getting the OC, as well WC, on bluray. This I do not have the technology to do. I can burn a DVD, but not bluray. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who is willing to pay out more for that extra in video and audio quality.

Edited by txorchdork013

Anyone know what the format is for the audio downloads?

So far the only places I can play wp3 is the PC and my car. Don't want to buy a new friggin' stereo if I want to hear this in the house. (Yeah would be interested in some corps.)

My problem with downloading is I have a crapload of CDs, here there and everywhere with music and personal pics. I follow Gadgets advice of having at least two copies. Problem is I have so many partial CDs it'll take me a weeks worth of vacation time to merge everything to make sense of it all (and cut down on the pile of CD holders).

PS - did have to reload my home PC from scratch last month due to a virus. Thank goodness for "Burn Baby Burn" (CDs that is).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

See Tom's post earlier, the OC corps themselves voted to go this route because it saves them money *and* gives more money back to the corps when they sell digital downloads.

Sounds good....but they need to communicate this both externally and internally.

I called DCI (317-275-1212) and the rep said they will not be selling Open Corps video. They will have video download available in the next few months. I ask why. She stated she was not given any reason for that decision.

The folks answering DCI's phones should be made aware that they are selling open-class video....just not in DVD form.

Aren't they aready paying the licensing costs to do the video downloads? Are there additional or different licensing costs to make a DVD versus electronic download?

I believe the licensing for video downloads is similar to physical copies (both require synchronization licensing). But I don't know all the details with regard to video....audio is my area of interest.

You are right, but I believe that DCI already owns the content. At any rate, my analysis was on the processing alone as you mention.

DCI does not own the content - the original composers of the music have some rights in that regard. But I think I see your point....if the licensing costs for downloads vs. DVDs are the same, then the question is whether production costs can be brought low enough to make it practical. I'm just not sure about that "if" I underlined back there....