No Open Class DVD?

I do not remember the numbers, but the pretty packaging was the expensive part. That stuff just collects dust. These kids have all their videos and music on the ipod, itouch, and laptops. This was not a DCI "powers that be" decision. We made the choice. The kids were ok with it....what else matters?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the business of Web 2.0. In spite of netflix and Youtube, monetizing content on the internet is a very tough game. As for new generation of viewers, you are right here, but how many of you will actually buy as opposed to free download etc... Netflix offers streaming for FREE. Hulu is FREE. Fancast is FREE. Not so easy to collect $20 per head...

However, I will buy the BDB DVD when they make it.

I can tell you that Netflix is absolutely NOT free. I get money taken out of my account every month by them, which means it is not free. I agree that this is the way of the future. I do not buy books, newspapers or magazines anymore, I simply download them onto my Kindle. I still pay for the content, but I am not paying for the paper, ink, shipping, storefronts, sales employees, etc. I think the OC Directors are spot on with this and expect that the WC corps will be going this way very shortly.

Uh, then how did they get the picture up on the jumbotron?

It's not rocket science Richard. That was a stationary camera, placed high in the stands. It was the only "angle" available. You'll note I said "in use on or around the field". Those are the cameras that were not in use... the cameras that usually get the field level and tight shots of the corps. These are the shots that make the DVD for sale different and better than the video you can shoot with you home video cam. The one camera used for the jumbo-tron was used exclusively for that purpose... not for recording purposes.

I just feel that having something tangible still means something to people. Like I could have my hard drive wiped and forever lose that video of a 2010 show. However, the 2009 DVD I will always have. That's just my opinion on it I guess. Perhaps I'm old fashioned in that respect.

When I was told it, I was perfectly cool with not being on a DVD this year. It's more money that was used for us to get from Dallas (or wherever you come from) to Indy.

The OC Directors decided not to have a packaged dvd for purchase. I do not remember the numbers off the top of my head, but the profit will be greater by this move. This is a case of the OC taking an initiative to make our class stronger. By taking these steps it does give the G7 a case to cast off the OC corps.

Thank you for clarification. No matter how alarmist threads get in here you offer inside perspective. I'm still dismayed at this:

"By taking these steps it does give the G7 a case to cast off the OC corps."

Is this an admission of the view DCI takes towards OC behind the scenes? I just want a little background I guess. Lately DCI's actions have seemed intentionally suicidal. Driving OC to the breaking point at a time when more kids need this experience regardless is frankly mental. G7 or not there was never a warm fuzzy feeling for the little guy. I really hope the governing body of DCI chooses not to cater to the elite few. Time will tell.

Oppps "By taking these steps it does NOT give the G7 a case to cast off the OC corps."

Edited by tnmaiello

I believe that you are correct. And this is complete BS. I actually produce DVDs, and given that we have source material, it is really fairly inexpensive. For instance, authoring can be done for low thousands, a glass master about the same, and then each copy could be around $0.17... Seventeen cents! If we just authored and then gang blasted recordable dvds, the quality of the actual disk (*not the video quality*) would definitely be lower, but the cost would be very inexpensive as well. My guess is that DCI just does not support OC well. We are stuck. And $19.99 is a very high price. Should be closer to $5-$10, if movies are any indicator. I used movies that are not that popular as a reference point here.

you also have to add shipping and handling to the DVD order. There is most of your cost. No S & H on a download.

I just feel that having something tangible still means something to people. Like I could have my hard drive wiped and forever lose that video of a 2010 show. However, the 2009 DVD I will always have. That's just my opinion on it I guess. Perhaps I'm old fashioned in that respect.

If there is a rule of thumb which people should follow in this day and age of digital downloads, it's BACK UP YOUR DATA.

If you have only one copy of your files, you are playing with fire.

At the minimum, people should purchase an external hard drive, plug it into one of their USB ports, download an application like Microsoft's SyncToy, and set it up to automatically copy your data to the hard drive on a regular basis.

The ideal setup is a backup strategy called 3-2-1 Backup. Those of you who listen to Leo LaPorte hear about this a lot. This strategy means:

3 copies of your data (including the original)

2 different types of storage media (example - hard drive and recordable DVDs)

1 copy is off site (as in NOT in your home)

An easy way to meet the off site copy is to subscribe to an online backup solution like Carbonite or Mozy. It's a yearly subscription, but your data is backed up constantly AND securely. Plus, if your PC does go on the fritz, you can transfer your backup account to the new PC and download all your data.

A lot of us these days have tons of drum corps audio, photo, and video files which we either recorded ourselves, ripped from physical media (which was later lost/destroyed) or purchased. Backup up those files will save a lot of headaches and tears later.

Oppps "By taking these steps it does NOT give the G7 a case to cast off the OC corps."

Amazing what happens when you don't type one word. :D