No Open Class DVD?

Jeff: You and my Dad need to get together and play some checkers while reminiscing about Black and White TV :thumbup:

i'm not that bad. However, I know what my limits are with technology...ask my wife every time i go to brun a cd and ask her for help again. :hmmm:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

setting up an account on DCP is a lot less involved, and requires not nearly as much technology to be purchased. after all, see the above post.

as far as price, i always bought the total bundle. really not that much more than just the WC offering ( back when you got the cd and dvd)

oh and no need to lecture, you're talking to a guy who supports OC more than sometimes OC themselves do.

Well you set up an account on DCP, there really isn't much more to it than pressing a button to save the file.

I can understand you not wanting to download them. HOWEVER, if there is a viable option for you to purchase the media, and at $2.99 not $50.00 (doesn't take a genius there to figure that one out) then really you shouldn't complain.

Take this "hypothetical situation" into account. DCI decides t produce a DVD next year, but will ONLY sell them in Michigan city between 4 pm and 8 pm the first night of competition. Are you going to them complain that you should get to order them in INDY? Or that you should be allowed to purchase it online using the online technologies that allow for that?

The OPEN CLASS directors said NO, we are NOT wanting to waste money on producing this. Our kids don't care, they want to just download their show on play it on the iphones and ipods.... They wanted to save money, since FANS are no longer really giving to Drum Corps. And I can 100% speak truth to that, as for more than 8 years now running that aspect of the drum corps, I know who, how much, and how often alumni and fans support corps. :) I also speak to other directors about it as well.

So, if you want to see the RETURN of the DVD's put together a campaign and raise the money to do it for the kids. AFTERALL!!!! if everyone here wants to moan about the "history" of drum corps, you should know that Drum Corps did a great deal for you in YOUR life, now its time to GIVE BACK TO THE ACTIVITY! And that means EVERY year :)

Guys REALLY?

If you want a video, then please as fans, put together a pool of money and produced it for the Drum Corps. I can say that FOR SURE, the OC directors would greatly appreciate the fact that you are willing to pay for it. In the end, trust me DVD's/Videos are there to also be a base for fund-raising for the corps in question. All this nonsense about wanting a DVD and not buying ANY media because you are not a fan of downloading just goes to prove that you could care less about the corps, nor the kids.

Listen up, STOP COMPLAINING! Raise the money and produce the Videos yourself, or better yet financially back the OC corps. Until that happens, OC directors MUST take the appropriate steps to NOT loose money and put themselves at risk of not having a summer touring organization. Its a smart business move. Plus its cheaper this way... ESPECIALLY if you just wanted a copy of ONE SPECIFIC corps performance. You then don't have to waste money on purchasing the WHOLE DVD.

BRAVO for yet another GREAT way to cut costs and make Open Class more solid in the financial aspect.

Are you even remotely serious?

Practically, everyone here financially backs the OC, and spends money, or we would not be here. Producing a video without rights to content, legal access even shoot content, is basically either really hard, or illegal. I doubt seriously about the "smart" business move, but we don't have the financials to make the claim. We also don't know what the decision process was, or what the "vote" was. Most of the "complainers" here spend a fair amount of money and regret the decision not to offer a product that they can willingly consume. In fact, there is money left on the table by not servicing demand. And I have suggested other ways that DCI could offer a DVD without any real extra cost to them. Read up on it in the WSOP forum.

As for not paying for downloading, I will not pay for download, except under very specific conditions. So far, FN does not offer them to me. MediaBox may... But to make the leap that because of the my stance on downloading means that my $6,000 that I spent this year on my kids in corp, the 3 weeks that my wife spent serving food on tour ( and I paid another $550+ for the privilege), the countless hours at shows lugging equipment on and off the field, the time spent at the City Council meetings in support of our local corp, or the countless hours spent prepping fields, fixing equipment, and driving corp members around, and opening our house to them for living conditions, does not count for support. Then you are sadly mistaken.

I don't need to support the Fan Network at all, there are lots of other ways to support drum corp. But, with one rather myopic decision, DCI/the directors/ decided to eliminate my favorite way to enjoy drum corp during the year. BTW, I don't support Netflix, will not support Hulu when they start charging, and own a pretty large DVD, BluRay, even laser disk and CD collection.

Well you set up an account on DCP, there really isn't much more to it than pressing a button to save the file.

I can understand you not wanting to download them. HOWEVER, if there is a viable option for you to purchase the media, and at $2.99 not $50.00 (doesn't take a genius there to figure that one out) then really you shouldn't complain.

Take this "hypothetical situation" into account. DCI decides t produce a DVD next year, but will ONLY sell them in Michigan city between 4 pm and 8 pm the first night of competition. Are you going to them complain that you should get to order them in INDY? Or that you should be allowed to purchase it online using the online technologies that allow for that?

The OPEN CLASS directors said NO, we are NOT wanting to waste money on producing this. Our kids don't care, they want to just download their show on play it on the iphones and ipods.... They wanted to save money, since FANS are no longer really giving to Drum Corps. And I can 100% speak truth to that, as for more than 8 years now running that aspect of the drum corps, I know who, how much, and how often alumni and fans support corps. :) I also speak to other directors about it as well.

So, if you want to see the RETURN of the DVD's put together a campaign and raise the money to do it for the kids. AFTERALL!!!! if everyone here wants to moan about the "history" of drum corps, you should know that Drum Corps did a great deal for you in YOUR life, now its time to GIVE BACK TO THE ACTIVITY! And that means EVERY year :)

Easy there. You are talking with people that support and spend a lot of money. I was at Qtrs, Semis, and finals for OC. In addition, about 7 other shows. Been there for several years, and will continue to do so. But, to answer your question:

If DCI were to request that I buy the DVD before semis or finals, I would buy it.

IF DVI did so at QTRs, then I would buy it. But, I would likely be one of a very few as QTRs is so POORLY attended. (dont have the gate, but it was the worst attended show that I was at all year, and then Semis was the 2nd worse.

If DCI raised the price of the DVD another few dollars, I would buy it.

IF DCI only offers Fan Network, then I likely would spend FAR less as I view little value in a "product" that I have to download, store, cut to a disc, walk it to a player, and then play it. And, there are multiple ways to improve a DVD or Bluray, like angles, directors comments etc... BTW< I am not sure if FN even lets you download legally, just assuming here that they do.

And iPhones and iPods offer new ways of meeting and creating demand, and I applaud DCI for their efforts there. But, we need a good replacement for DVDs, and downloads are a pretty poor one.

You sound like you are either a director or that you run the books for a corp. Either way, thanks for your efforts. I lead companies, and came up through the engineering and marketing ranks. Take a look at places like YesVideo and mediabox, and you will see a way to meet the consumer demand for a DVD without a lot of effort. And the costs can be passed on to us. And, rights could still be maintained by DCI, just like they do on easy to rip CDs, downloads, and iTunes. BTW, MediaBox already offers a way to make your own CD, and will likely offer a video version for either DVD or BlurRay. Right now, MediaBox encodes in h.264. Great technical choice, and great for the future, but most legacy DVD players will not play it, and transcoding is beyond a lot of users.

You sound like you are either a director or that you run the books for a corp. Either way, thanks for your efforts. I lead companies, and came up through the engineering and marketing ranks. Take a look at places like YesVideo and mediabox, and you will see a way to meet the consumer demand for a DVD without a lot of effort. And the costs can be passed on to us. And, rights could still be maintained by DCI, just like they do on easy to rip CDs, downloads, and iTunes. BTW, MediaBox already offers a way to make your own CD, and will likely offer a video version for either DVD or BlurRay. Right now, MediaBox encodes in h.264. Great technical choice, and great for the future, but most legacy DVD players will not play it, and transcoding is beyond a lot of users.

I will look into those services. I also understand the LARGE investment of money that is required to participate. I personally marched for a LENGTHY time myself, and now do run a corps/manage them. And I have to remind you I have to do so pretty much FULL time without any pay.... So I do understand the financial strain that MANY undertake and do in order to give the best opportunity for their children and to be fans of the activity.

I in NO WAY meant for you to do something illegally.... What I stated was that if there is a way in which YOU A A GROUP OF SUPPORTERS can figure out to produce the DVD, then take the lead..... DCI will extend its hand as will the OC Directors. Do the research, and show how you will fund the necessary costs, and make it happen. If we want the activity to grow, there is leg work that has to be done....... Not only do I do leg work for my own corps, but I've done the leg work and supported MANY OC corps, its all in the nature of the game.

Again thanks for everyone's SUPPORT and care about this subject. But Unfortunately the status quo will be kept until there is a better alternative proposed to the OC Directors.