G7 and Open Class

I have been reading so much about the G7 in the World Class Forum, but as I looked at the section in the powerpoint presentation on Class A and Open Class I began to worry about it's impact to Open Class. From the way it is written, it seems that to be an active participant in Marching Major League, an Open Class Corps must qualify as a Class A corp or they are basically left to fend for themselves. Also, there is no information as to how an Open Class Corps can move up in Class as there is in World Class. It also does not address new corps entering the circuit since in the current system, all corps start in open class then after meeting certain requirements, are allowed to move to World Class, how will this work in the G7 model? Any thoughts on this?

Edited for clarity...

Edited by txorchdork013

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the way it is written, it seems that to be an active participant in Marching Major League, an Open Class Corps must qualify as a Class A corp or they are basically left to fend for themselves.

Actually, the impression that I have from the proposal is that OC will be shut out of DCI. We're supposed to form some sort of regional tour, somehow.

Of course, this probably won't happen for many corps, so they will probably go extinct. With no tour, no DCI support, and no revenue streams from DCI, how will most of these outfits survive? The answer's simple: they won't. (Many feel that this is the precise goal of the G7; this will allow them to scoop up what talent, and revenue, they can garner from OC, and the other non-G7 corps. Yes, they really do exhibit that level of rapacious greed.)

Honestly, if the G7 proposal is enacted, it will be doomesday for most OC corps. That is why OC supporters have been amongst the most vehement opponents of this proposal.

Honestly, if the G7 proposal is enacted, it will be doomesday for most OC corps. That is why OC supporters have been amongst the most vehement opponents of this proposal.

which is why i'm pretty sure the G7 proposal will pass in some way or another... DCI seems to be constantly moving in a manner threatening to Div 2/3 corps... (f### calling them open class...i hate that designation)

DCA and SDCA may end up picking up the slack for the threatened open class Corps. DCI isn't the only thing on Earth.

DCA and SDCA may end up picking up the slack for the threatened open class Corps. DCI isn't the only thing on Earth.

My sentiments exactly! Have we allowed DCI to take the reins of responsibility of keeping smaller markets going and dictating how,where, and why these "open class" corps can (or cannot) perform, raise money, and be of benefit to kids from smaller centres? OC Directors should and will have to play a vital role in reinventing the mindset we seem to cling to about the Wizard of DCI. Living in a small mining town in Northern Ontario, far from the mainstream, and having worked a little with the Blue Saints organization, I am constantly amazed at the truely heroic efforts of Director Mark Ripley and his staff of volunteers to keep this activity alive for the hundreds of kids who have played, traveled, sweated, worked as hard as anyone, and now understand the drum corps experience even if only for a short time every summer. And I'm constantly amazed that that a large metropolitan centre south of us (you know who I'm talking about) cannot, in my opinion. 5-6 million people within a hours drive of each other! DCI is not the only thing on Earth, but maybe we need to start pushing the elephant out of the room, and making our own playground, as the SDCA has. Just my 2 cents worth.

My sentiments exactly! Have we allowed DCI to take the reins of responsibility of keeping smaller markets going and dictating how,where, and why these "open class" corps can (or cannot) perform, raise money, and be of benefit to kids from smaller centres? OC Directors should and will have to play a vital role in reinventing the mindset we seem to cling to about the Wizard of DCI. Living in a small mining town in Northern Ontario, far from the mainstream, and having worked a little with the Blue Saints organization, I am constantly amazed at the truely heroic efforts of Director Mark Ripley and his staff of volunteers to keep this activity alive for the hundreds of kids who have played, traveled, sweated, worked as hard as anyone, and now understand the drum corps experience even if only for a short time every summer. And I'm constantly amazed that that a large metropolitan centre south of us (you know who I'm talking about) cannot, in my opinion. 5-6 million people within a hours drive of each other! DCI is not the only thing on Earth, but maybe we need to start pushing the elephant out of the room, and making our own playground, as the SDCA has. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bravo!

I made it a point to attend a local DCI show this year in order to prove what I had been feeling - that the World class corps leave me, well, confused. And after having watched, marched and watched again since the mid 70s I am going to spend my money elsewhere.

So if it is SDCA or DCA or an entirely new animal count me in! I am much more satisfied watching younger kids learn a craft and put on a show than I am trying to figure out what "Second Chance" really means. (no offense to CC, just an example)

mike

I disagree that DCA and SDCA are viable options for current DCI Open Class Corps. Here is my reasoning:

DCA: Unless DCA is willing to a) give up September Finals which is well into the academic school year, b) become more formalized in the Midwest, South, and West, and c) develop a youth based classification, they will not be able to absorb many, if any, DCI Open Class Corps.

SDCA: The non-competitive crowd claps for a winner nature of SDCA along with the anybody can join a corps philosophy will not be that appealing to many, if any, current DCI Open Class Corps.

I disagree that DCA and SDCA are viable options for current DCI Open Class Corps. Here is my reasoning:

DCA: Unless DCA is willing to a) give up September Finals which is well into the academic school year, b) become more formalized in the Midwest, South, and West, and c) develop a youth based classification, they will not be able to absorb many, if any, DCI Open Class Corps.

SDCA: The non-competitive crowd claps for a winner nature of SDCA along with the anybody can join a corps philosophy will not be that appealing to many, if any, current DCI Open Class Corps.

...I dunno, either, if DCA would be the best *bet* but, surely, with some planning and added infrastructure a junior division could be added. "Nats" for such a division would, out of necessity, not be a part of the All Age finals, and would have to be a separate thing...

AFA the SDCA, I think you're right about the "rules" being in the way, but the small, indoor corps format could be a viable option under any number of sets of rules. Here, format is key...the thought of, say, 50 person ensembles performing in gyms, judged in a drum corps manner, limited to a six week competitive "season" that would fit into the space left by the end of WGI and the first week in August (ya gotta have some time to learn the shows, eh?) and also limited geographically so the costs would be minimal...with perhaps band director support so even the high schools would have entries...well, something like THAT would definitely work. I have about 450 kids in three programs and two thirds of them are priced out of DC, and the other third work so hard during the winter that very few participate in drumcorps due to burnout...something along these minimalist lines may be the thing to appeal to ALL of these kids?!

cg

Well if all else fails, maybe could Open Class Corps merge, and drill like crazy organizationally to be able to qualify as a Div.1 Corps. It would be really more of a confederation, each corps keeping its title and reaching out to their respective recruiting community, while the kids go and march under a single title. "The Confederates!" lmao (only half-joking there)

This would have to be presented to the marching populace/recruiting bas as the only way for Open Class to survive until a new model is presented. Those who would want to march with Impulse would be classified as belonging to Impulse if/when the corps splits if/when the new model is introduced and each corps can resume duties in their own area.

So here in So. Cal we would have Impulse, Incognito, Mystikal, Gold (although they would probably want to go it alone.. they have the numbers... not sure what would happen with the instruments though). What the heck BDB or SCVC would do is beyond me... since they're sponsored/tied to G7 corps.. except for move to world class which would defeat the purpose of their existences.

Velvet Knights. Thunder and Crusaders would have to merge.. Forte, Revolution and Genesis would merge. Music City... is kinda stranded Idk what they would do except merge with Racine Scouts, (Colt Cadets?) and Legends

Spirit of Newark, Raiders, Spartans and Legends could be candidates for a merger.

Stentors and Saints they've got several options.. merge and/or move to NE or the north mid-west.

As far as fund-raising, my knowledge is nill in that area...

just throwing it out there. It would probably be a herculean task but if the Crossmen are willing to help I'm sure they could give some pointers on how it's done.

Edited by Impuls!vebari

Apparently, the DCA folks have no intention of moving Finals up on the calendar - or moving them to a location that is more in the center of the country. So moving the OC corps to DCA is a non-starter.

Could we form new regional circuits, for the OC corps to compete in? Maybe. But it will need to happen in very short order. The tour would probably have to get organized quickly - perhaps in less than a year. If it takes more than that, then a bunch of the outfits could fold, because of lack of member interest, lack of income, or other factors.

Unless we have at least 2-3 years to organize a separate tour, then the G7 proposal could be a death knell for the OC corps in this country. Maybe a few outfits could survive, but it would be very, very few.