2000 - 2010 , what have we learned?

We've learned that increasing numbers to 135 and 150 have hurt the lower tier corps for membership.

We've learned that the top 12 corps have benefited based on their level of execution and performance (arguably the best top 12 I've ever seen ... and I saw some stupendous top 12's in my day.

We've learned that no instrument manufacturer really wants to corner the market by making a trumpet that is modeled after the G Bugle ......... IOW an open, fat, big bore, conical design with a smaller bell flare with larger inner diameter. These instruments would have a massive aftermarket as well.

We've learned that some some directors have been in their position for far too long and should be replaced (regardless of their past contributions to drum corps).

We've learned that the hybrid shows that are heavily influenced by BOA and WGI are being highly rewarded ..... and is taking this activity in the wrong direction.

We've learned that the top gigs are having financial difficulties during the economic downturn. So much so, that they are willing to rop from the rest of DCI just to stay afloat.

We've learned that some directors have finally spoken up about the lobster and seafood buffet's at DCI events for their staff and corps directors ..... it is things like this that contribute to the massive budget of DCI expenses.

We've learned that corps need personal trainers and medical staff on hand due to the marching technique (straight leg)the insanely difficult drill widely used today ... these techniques cause injuries to hipflexors, knees, hamstrings and other parts of the legs that were rarely a problem back in the day (even when we were doing whiplash drill. drill that was difficult at times but nowhere near what corps are doing now).

We've learned that Pyware has resulted in almost every corps drill being extremely linear and symmetrical. This leads to everyone looking the same and is boring as all getout.

We've learned that some of the greatest brass arrangers in our history have forgotten how to write a chart so the performers play the entire piece ............ let alone a large segment without it ripping motif's and passages to shreds (yet still succeeding with it).

We've learned that some of the judging community have been passed by the genre itself .... and should go back to school or retire before they do more harm than good for the activity.

We've learned that greed and ego are more important than keeping drum corps alive and healthy and growing. (eh, kiiiind of agree with this)

We've learned that some of the rules passed and tested have been huge failures. This being the case, why not revoke the rules?

We've learned that multikey does not project the same as sounds way better than G bugles. King has done a fantastic job with low brass instruments, but I have yet to see a trumpet that can push the same kind of sound as just about any G bugle I've ever played on.

We should have learned that with all the changes put in place this decade ........... the change to the activity has brought the inverse result of the leaderships hopes ............. DCI is going downhill by evidence of corps in existence. (certainly there are fewer corps in existence, but whether the activity is going "downhill" is a much bigger question and much more difficult to answer)

We've learned that a 10 year deal for a finals location might have looked like a great deal going in ......... but has turned into a nightmare that we now have to live with. had issues with the first couple of years in Lucas Oil Stadium, and have yet to see how these issues will be resolved as the rest of the contract plays itself out.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by liebot

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that "Boom-shaka-laka, Boom-shaka-laka" trumps Yowza.

Haha. NOT EVEN CLOSE! The boom-shaka-laka fit well with the theme and was familiar enough to everyone from the movie Stripes that it got a great reaction.

Yowza just made everyone groan.

I agree with much of what has been said here. My friends and I thought the great costume and prop race of the late 80's was going to put a lot of corps out of business with all the expense, but it really didn't. We thought it was too theatrical. Then the props died down a while. Now they've come back in the form of stages, chairs, mirrors, and doors. They will die down again.

There were some synth moments that were used tastefully thie year and many more that weren't. Hopefully the music judges did their darn jobs and rewarded/demerited appropriately. Just like the experiments with voice, this will find its niche.

The horns change was inevitable. There were many minor changes along the way that made it obvious that eventually we'd be at 3 valve instruments. They are much better in tune and the other reasons mentioned make them a good idea too.

I agree that 150 is TOO many. It looks ridiculously cluttered on the field and with the way corps move now they almost all look like they're in the way of someone else. It also disadvantages some of the lesser corps for members.

Some serious thoughts about what GE really is need to be determined and agreed upon. The directors themselves complain about how ambiguous it is but they approved the rules and sheets. Get back to the drawing board and fix it and stop complaining!

Edited by Wadep66

So many good points made here. I think that the biggest change (and not for the better) has been in drill design. In the wake of the "new paradigm" discussion about Blue Devils, I went back and watched 1993 Star agian. I was immediately struck with how elegant the drill was compared to today. There were graceful flowing lines and comprehensive sets where all the parts flowed together.

Today it seems like so much like lines that turn into a block that rotates into another block followed by a scatter drill with flopping around on the ground that turn into pods of marchers that reform into another block. It looks disjointed and there isn't a lot of continuity. And so many corps look the same.

I think the switch away from G bulgles was a good move in terms of quality and economics. Still, there's a part of me that misses the good ol' full-bore, G bugle face-peeling BYFBO blastissimo. But there's no denying the sound today is far more refined.

On the plus side, we've seen that drum corps can still be exciting, innovative and entertaining. The examples that immediately jump to mind are the Cavaliers' Spin Cycle and Frameworks shows, and Phantom's Sparticus - the single most exciting performance I've ever witnessed.

So it's been a mixed bag, just like every other decade I can remember. As the song says "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Curvilinear drill died when Michael Gaines came on the scene. BD and BK still do it to a certain extent, but they're a dying breed. It's too hard to clean and it's more difficult to achieve the contrary motion that makes drill look harder than it actually is (i.e., two lines marching towards each other at a 6-to-5 looks hardere than a curvilinear form with everyone doing a reshape at ~6-to-5).

Learned? This activity has unlearned more than it has learned over the past decade....particularly:

- why we used G bugles, and why marching groups all over the globe were convinced to switch to them

- why DCM's spirit of cooperation between member corps was the envy of all circuits

- what really draws revenue in the drum corps business

However, I expect the next decade to be far more educational.

with flopping around on the ground that turn into pods of marchers that reform into another block.

Yes, as much as I like Carolina Crown, I don't get why they keep doing the ground flop thing. Cavies did it a few years back but then quit. Maybe we won't see this next year.

We've learned that increasing numbers to 135 and 150 have hurt the lower tier corps for membership.

We've learned that the top 12 corps have benefited based on their level of execution and performance (arguably the best top 12 I've ever seen ... and I saw some stupendous top 12's in my day.

We've learned that no instrument manufacturer really wants to corner the market by making a trumpet that is modeled after the G Bugle ......... IOW an open, fat, big bore, conical design with a smaller bell flare with larger inner diameter. These instruments would have a massive aftermarket as well.

We've learned that some some directors have been in their position for far too long and should be replaced (regardless of their past contributions to drum corps).

We've learned that the hybrid shows that are heavily influenced by BOA and WGI are being highly rewarded ..... and is taking this activity in the wrong direction.

We've learned that the top gigs are having financial difficulties during the economic downturn. So much so, that they are willing to rop from the rest of DCI just to stay afloat.

We've learned that some directors have finally spoken up about the lobster and seafood buffet's at DCI events for their staff and corps directors ..... it is things like this that contribute to the massive budget of DCI expenses.

We've learned that corps need personal trainers and medical staff on hand due to the marching technique (straight leg) widely used today ... these techniques cause injuries to hipflexors, knees, hamstrings and other parts of the legs that were rarely a problem back in the day (even when we were doing wiplash drill.

We've learned that Pyware has resulted in almost every corps drill being extremely linear and symmetrical. This leads to everyone looking the same and is boring as all getout.

We've learned that some of the greatest brass arrangers in our history have forgotten how to write a chart so the performers play the entire piece ............ let alone a large segment without it ripping motif's and passages to shreds (yet still succeeding with it).

We've learned that some of the judging community have been passed by the genre itself .... and should go back to school or retire before they do more harm than good for the activity.

We've learned that greed and ego are more important than keeping drum corps alive and healthy and growing.

We've learned that some of the rules passed and tested have been huge failures. This being the case, why not revoke the rules?

We've learned that multikey does not project the same as G bugles. King has done a fantastic job with low brass instruments, but I have yet to see a trumpet that can push the same kind of sound as just about any G bugle I've ever played on.

We should have learned that with all the changes put in place this decade ........... the change to the activity has brought the inverse result of the leaderships hopes ............. DCI is going downhill by evidence of corps in existence.

We've learned that a 10 year deal for a finals location might have looked like a great deal going in ......... but has turned into a nightmare that we now have to live with.

I could go on for a few hours ............. but I dont' really feel like it.

I would say overall, we've learned that we're going in the wrong direction. For those who don't agree .......... I don't know when you were born, how well you know your history or what your opinion is of a "successful business model", but DCI is NOT success and has continued a downward spiral since the turn of the millennium. My best wishes to everyone outside the top 12 ..... I hope you find ways to continue your quest and stay healthy going forward. The odds are against you ... and that above all is what I have learned in the past decade. :thumbup:

www.kleenex.com

Never do these again:

Yowsa

Singing

Drum Speak

Prancing Bunnys

Mirrors

Talk Shows

Narration

Synths

And --- Body Movement....

Curvilinear drill died when Michael Gaines came on the scene. BD and BK still do it to a certain extent, but they're a dying breed. It's too hard to clean and it's more difficult to achieve the contrary motion that makes drill look harder than it actually is (i.e., two lines marching towards each other at a 6-to-5 looks hardere than a curvilinear form with everyone doing a reshape at ~6-to-5).

Its funny that you put it that way. I agree that old school curvilinear left us around 2000, but I think it's spirit is still around in a lot of corps. Writers like Pete Weber, John Vanderkolf, Jamie Thompson, Jeff Sacktig, and to an extent Myron Rosander(because its apparently the only way he can write) still do a darn good job of integrating curvilinear forms and progressions in with more modern stuff. (Additionally, Michael Gaines wrote some incredible large form curvilinear drill, we just don't remember those moments) IMHO, BD is one of the biggest killers of curvilinear drill today (I can't include SCV2010 in that because they didn't seem to have any discernible style). BD used to have some gorgeous curvaceous drill and now they are doing this thing where they might do 2-5 sets curvilinear and the fall to a scatter, just as a previous poster noted.

Also, modern drill actually is harder to march, not just looks harder. Because of the very exposed lines of the 80's & 90's, that drill was much harder to clean, but, frankly, I think kids with modern training could make easy work of it.

Back to the subject at hand. I agree with several of the previous posters that the switch to any key brass has been a huge advantage to the activity. Corps can recycle lines more often and they are getting a much better product to boot. I've played G bugles, good ones too. They are clunky and out of tune. Yes, the larger bore size, additional metal, and longer bore allowed them to project more...or at least allowed the player to blow harder before exceeding what the horn could handle. At first, you could really notice the difference in volume between lines, but now as manufacturers are making better horns (they get to use DCI as a test laboratory) and the corps figuring out how to play louder, I think the volume level is equaling out. (IMO, Crown2010 is the loudest horn line I've ever heard, and with the best overall sound too!)

Recruitment restrictions. Love the age thing. This has helped everyone. Switch to 138 was a good idea. I don't know if any corps have picked up an extra bus for the switch to 150. I'm not entirely sold on its virtues given the loss of so many smaller corps. Time will tell on that one. I think it may be cyclical (as regional corps die out, there will be a short period with very few and then the absence will show the need for more small corps.

Amplification...well... In 2004, I was one of those anti-amp people (yes, I have a t-shirt). The learning curve on that one has been pretty long, and I don't really think everyone has figured it out yet, though we are getting closer. Some great victories for amps include the weird drum from BD2004 (timpanist played it & we wouldn't have heard it otherwise), Cajons from Madison2008, and an ever increasing group of corps that are figuring out that the amplified sound of mallets should REINFORCE their acoustic sound, not cover it up. An issue that is exacerbating any problems is the sound guys. I know that not all of the board workers have a background in live sound, but they almost all behave like it. WAAAAY too loud. Its like going to an outdoor symphony concert with a sound guy that used to tour with guns 'n roses. I don't know if anybody has done it, but having a guy in the stands w/a walkie would really help things out.

Amplification will turn out for the good in the long run...I think the reinforced mallet and pp instrument sounds are a boon to the activity. It may just be a few more years until everyone gets it.

Amplification of voice. It can be used well, such as Crossmen2006. It can also be brash and ugly. I think we've seen the extent of its use and will only see limited use in the future.

Electronics. Open can of worms: I think it will turn out to be a great thing. Right now so many design teams are still figuring it out that its not always a positive addition. For instance: so many corps use CRAPPY piano patches. Best one of the field was Crown (also had a great guitar patch). I think their use of piano and guitar added to the production in a positive way, which is what everyone should be aiming for. Madison's piano moment (rhapsody b4 drum break) was simple and short. It reminded us that they're playing a piano feature while not smacking us in the face with it. Unfortunately, their patch was not that great (very tinny). I agree with many that the thunderous goo is bad. It has its place, but ideally we shouldn't be able to hear only that during a tuba moment (spirit). Also, STOP SYNTHING SOUNDS THAT CAN BE CREATED ACOUSTICALLY!!!!!!! That is just lazy. Designers are showing their creative bankruptcy with that. I don't want to hear a synthesized brake drum sound when you have one on a rack. Yes, you can make it louder with a synth..that is what amplification is for.

Design. Everything is getting more theatrical. YAAAAAAAY. I love the good old shows from the 80's and 90's where you can just sit back and enjoy, but so many shows today now offer an additional level that can be more intellectually rewarding (the sit back shows are viscerally rewarding). Only trick here that several corps have missed on is that the rest of the show has to be able to stand without the theatrics. They must only add to a great program, not be the cornerstone of it.

I have more thoughts, but have to run.

I think the switch away from G bulgles was a good move in terms of quality and economics. Still, there's a part of me that misses the good ol' full-bore, G bugle face-peeling BYFBO blastissimo. But there's no denying the sound today is far more refined.

I miss the "G" sound in the trumpets. The sound of the trumpets now to my ears are too tinny, too bright for my taste. The trumpets played in ensemble, enmasse, sound too muted when heard among the other lower register brass sections. Even on recordings, the upper regster trumpets do not have that full, richer, more full bodied sound the " G " keyed sopranos once did, imo

Oh well..... time marches on.