Blue Devils Guard

Lots of corps do body movement and many more than BD. How about Bluecoats and their dance segment? Crown brass laying on the backs and doing hand and leg movements. Troopers lining up on the fifty and falling over. I don't know how you score that - guard, visual, GE - but I didn't see anything BD was doing in terms of creative movement that was all that different from what lots of other corps were doing this year and have been doing for many years.

But there was a difference. Most body movement done by brass players has been static, i.e. stand in place and do some movement. BD this year was different. The movement was in conjunction with transitioning from place to place. IMHO, much more than any other corps.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The color guard caption judges the color guard - if the corps' horn or drum line picks up equipment then it is fair game to the guard judge. BUT (and this is my opinion) the horn line dancing is move GE and Visual performance than anything else. They are not color guard members just because they are doing something other than "traditional" marching. The guard is trained to dance and execute dance and equipment work; the horn line/drum line is (again my opinion) being trained to provide a different visual aesthetic which is different from the color guard.

Blue Devils 3 nights of 'perfect' guard scores are reflective of their training and execution of their outstanding written equipment/dance book. They had some issues, yes, but none the less they were hands down the best guard in finals 2010 and deserved every bit of their 20 points.

But there was a difference. Most body movement done by brass players has been static, i.e. stand in place and do some movement. BD this year was different. The movement was in conjunction with transitioning from place to place. IMHO, much more than any other corps.

You have to look no further than your very own Cavaliers for some great examples of horn players using body movement / dance movement / gymnastics to enhance a show. They've really wowed the audiences throughout the past 10 years with some of their moves which have hardly been "static" or "stand in place".

Are you suggesting that the BD's hornline movement is somehow random or 'just people running from place to place'? I suspect that every movement they make is strictly choreographed, rehearsed, and perfected - much like a rectilinear form is.

My tuppence worth.

How they managed to be the highest scoring guard is a mystery to me .....

You must have vision problems, because BD's guard was clearly the best this year.

I know that in BD 99, guard clapping in rhythm was docked from the perc. score for not being together enough.

Body movement counts towards visual performance and (depending) visual ensemble. It contributes to vis/music GE through showing variety and enhancing the musical phrase in a similar way to guard work, but its a unique entity. Guard caption is focused on the guard the whole time, whatever they are doing (Don't know how that affects the Cavies brass/Scouts guards during those special features)

If a guard member has a drop in front of a mirror, is the negative impact doubled? :)

Or, rather, because a mirror is an "anti-subject" does the reflected drop cancel out the actual drop?

(Of course, BD honks will say there were no drops in BDs guard so the question is moot :thumbup: )

If a guard member has a drop in front of a mirror, is the negative impact doubled? :)

And another thought on this...

With our "build up" judging system, shouldn't BD's guard have gotten a perfect 40 because of the doubling effect of the mirrors? Shouldn't their score have actually been something like 118 instead of 98?

This is fun!

Edited by garfield

(Of course, BD honks will say there were no drops in BDs guard so the question is moot :thumbup: )

Moot is an understatement. HAHA