Returning to Finals Competition, after a 17 year absense

Star 2011 in World Class  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Should Star of Indiana return to DCI in World Class Competition?

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • No.
    • I'm indifferent.
  2. 2. If they come back, do you think they'd make Finals immediately?

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • No.
    • It'd depend on the program, the kids performing, the staff teaching and the judges judging.

Marie Czapinski's waffles :thumbup:

I'll never view waffles the same way again.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love to see it happen, but the people that need to be involved to make it happen are occupied elsewhere.

Some of those guys with Star were WAY over the age limit.

I know it was mentioned already, but DCI rules would forbid a drum corps returning to the field of world class competition after taking 2 years off due to inactivity, and they would need to spend 2 years in open class.

Another thing to look at is the expectations that people have for a corps like the 27th Lancers of Star of Indiana returning to the field after attaining such a legendary status in their history. We would expect top 12 world class placement immediately. An example is what happened with VK. They had so much hype and support going into their return, and they have been doing a great job at building a new corps, but that is exactly what you're doing, and you have a lot of questions and unknowns that go into starting a new drum corps.

Take it from me. I've learned a lot, and it's taken me 4 years to just get to the point where we feel ready to start a season.

I love Star, but its not worth the potential damage to the corps' name.

Rob

I heard they are doing another Blast! type show in 2011.

I sure hope so! BLAST! is incredible!

I LOVE the idea. I'd be there helping in any/every way possible.

However....

:(

This is a topic that has been buzzing around the Star Alumni for the past couple of years, especially right before our performance last week. What you saw this past Friday night at DCI Semi's is most likely Star of Indiana's last full size, public performance. The powers that be, and many of the Alumni are happy with letting STAR slip back into history. When the discussion starts within the corps about starting up Star of Indiana again, the response that keeps the ball from gaining much speed is "Why?". Why would we do that? Most of the reasons end up being selfish pride, or emotional wants. There are plenty of great corps out there for kids to get the experience they need. Drum corps doesn't need Star to come back. (it'd be way cool, but then again, I'm admittedly one of the selfish)

Another way to look at it - There are PLENTY of corps out there that have someone that was related to STAR already instructing in key positions. Star of Indiana may not be on the field competing - but Star of Indiana influence is very much still in drum corps....

I love STAR - I love drum corps - I hope that what we did this past week lived up to everyone's expectations.

See you in Rochester, NY!!!!!!

Very well said. The influence is definitely all over the drum corps world.

I'll never view waffles the same way again.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hey, I like Marie and I like waffles. What is the waffles reference, anyhow. Have I missed a new cultural meme?

Can I get the waffles with a side order of hash browns?