Crossmen

Based on the threads of past, and the G& discussions, what if Crossmen had an all star staff (the names you always hear about) would they be a top six corps?

well, it's kind of a given top staff names will draw bodies.

say Rennick were to leave Phantom...how many drummers would look to see where he goes before applying?

Interesting,,,,but if one were to look at the 2010 staff rosters for the top 5 DCI corps. It is littered with people who taught the Crossmen between 2003 and 2005.

I think it is much more than teachers/arrangers.

Since semi finals of 2004 the corps has been a bit of mystery. Many good people have come in with great intentions, but is simply will not spark and come to life.

I do hope they will thrive once again.

I would argue that, with respect to recruiting HS kids, Xmen have an all-star design cast to draw bodies.

Aaron Guidry and Wes Cartright have BOA titles. And Leon May has been writing drill for Crown during their rise. And several of the staffers built Ronnie Reagan into a powerhouse band.

As for tech staff, they apparently don't have an all-star cast. (Xmen were durrty at semis)

Yes. If you brought in the Blue Devils staff, but didn't tell a single person, I guarantee the Crossmen would make finals. Year 2, probably top 6.

Names are big, I agree, but believe me, it's the staff itself that take corps as far as they go. Talented members aren't nearly as important as quality teaching.

They sparked VERY well at the August Toledo show...they were on fire - very entertaining. I submit that they've been underscored this season -

I think they were scored about right. Great and entertaining show (where I actually found myself humming the tunes post-show), but the fact remains there was tons of dirt in the feet that translated directly to the hornline sound and guard collective. Drumline was about where they usually are in the pack.

Also, as per the "big names" topic:

Everyone keeps mentioning the "Texas talent pool" and how Crossmen should be easily in the top 12 with that talent to choose from, but almost always people forget that MANY Texas kids would rather go to out-of-state corps (myself as example) because of being a long-time fan/having a long-time dream of marching somewhere.