Madison Scouts 2011

You guys are not giving Robert W. Smith NEARLY enough credit. Prime is great, yes. But Smith is just as talented if not more as far as I'm concerned.

Go check out the Suncoast sound shows from the 80s, some of those were ground breaking in terms of show design and arrangment

No comparison since then... Smith's work in the 80s was great, but Prime was the best, imho. I hope this works for them, I haven't cared for recent Glassmen arrangements. Oh well...

No comparison since then... Smith's work in the 80s was great, but Prime was the best, imho. I hope this works for them, I haven't cared for recent Glassmen arrangements. Oh well...

Here's my take on it.

Is Jim Prime brilliant-YES

Is Robert W. Smith brilliant-YES

Both would be great. As for RWS's arrangements for the Glassmen...let's take a look at the choice of repertoire. Some of it has been awesome, some not so much. There is only so far that a brilliant arranger can take a great piece of music.

The other side of it is the talent of the horline members and teaching staff. This is not a knock on the Glassmen, but could it be that the arrangements did not shine because the instruction wasn't as great as it needed to be, or the performance? Just some thoughts.

Let us not forget also, Scott Boerma wrote a brilliant arrangment of Malaga in 1994, which was even better in 1995-possibly one of the best closers ever, and in 2004, well...let's just say it left a lot to be desired.

There are so many factors that play in....let's not just look at the man's work with one organization, there's more to it than that.

I think the boys are in good hands, no worries.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced

Yes. And with all the rest of the 2010 staff still intact, they should be fine.

Here's my take on it.

Is Jim Prime brilliant-YES

Is Robert W. Smith brilliant-YES

Both would be great. As for RWS's arrangements for the Glassmen...let's take a look at the choice of repertoire. Some of it has been awesome, some not so much. There is only so far that a brilliant arranger can take a great piece of music.

The other side of it is the talent of the horline members and teaching staff. This is not a knock on the Glassmen, but could it be that the arrangements did not shine because the instruction wasn't as great as it needed to be, or the performance? Just some thoughts.

Let us not forget also, Scott Boerma wrote a brilliant arrangment of Malaga in 1994, which was even better in 1995-possibly one of the best closers ever, and in 2004, well...let's just say it left a lot to be desired.

There are so many factors that play in....let's not just look at the man's work with one organization, there's more to it than that.

I think the boys are in good hands, no worries.

So, I wonder if Glassmen is getting a new arranger then? Maybe Prime is going to Glassmen? Interesting...

I think this is good news. Everyone seems to be upset. Why not wait until we actually get to hear some music first! :laughing:

Edited by dciboy2000

So, I wonder if Glassmen is getting a new arranger then? Maybe Prime is going to Glassmen? Interesting...

I think this is good news. Everyone seems to be upset. Why not wait until we actually get to hear some music first! :laughing:

Smith hasn't been at Glassmen since 2006? Don Hill has been arranging for Glassmen ever since.

Smith hasn't been at Glassmen since 2006? Don Hill has been arranging for Glassmen ever since.

Whoops.. :laughing: I knew that too, lol.

I know I will get flamed but I'm gonna say it - MALAGUENA!!

I won't go so far as to slam the choice, but this one really has been done a lot. Surely there is something new. But, that said, I'm always entertained by Malaguena.

I won't go so far as to slam the choice, but this one really has been done a lot. Surely there is something new. But, that said, I'm always entertained by Malaguena.

As much as I love Malaguena, and believe me, LOVE is putting it lightly, I don't think it needs to be put back on the field for at least another 5 years. It's still too "fresh" in everyones mind.

I honestly hope they don't go the latin route at all. The past few times the corps has gone latin, it doesn't live up to the hype or the energy of the mid-90's. Not a knock against the members or the corps, I just don't think it needs to be done.

I would love to see them come out and take another shot at some Don Ellis, the Ellington Harlem Suite-better known as "A Tone Parallel to Harlem," Remembrance, Lemon Squeeze, etc.

I know the rumor is that they are going to bring back some classics that haven't been done many times on the field, just stay away from Make His Praise Glorious, Pioneer used it last year, and I don't think we need that tune 2 years in a row.

Just my thoughts.