Madison Scouts 2011

For example---based on Mr. Cop flying from Los Angeles to Madison. The director said flying to Indy is cheaper than flying to Madison....well....

Given their January camp dates, a flight from LAX to Madison is $280.80. LAX to Indianapolis on the same dates is $359.80. Perhaps more research is needed on the Scouts part. I believe that $280.80 is less than $359.80. So, that assumption by the director that it's cheaper to fly to Indy is wrong, at least from LAX.

and you do realize with flyer points or setting it up earlier, prices may have changed right?

and, having flown to both, I'd rather fly to Indy, and I really have no desire to go there again

• Like 1

and you do realize with flyer points or setting it up earlier, prices may have changed right?

and, having flown to both, I'd rather fly to Indy, and I really have no desire to go there again

Just saying....the premise is wrong in this case. And since the director sees cheaper air fares as a big incentive, why should a kid who is actually from Madison spend money flying to Indy? At least Blue Stars had their spring training in the same area code as LaCrosse.

• Like 1

Just saying....the premise is wrong in this case. And since the director sees cheaper air fares as a big incentive, why should a kid who is actually from Madison spend money flying to Indy? At least Blue Stars had their spring training in the same area code as LaCrosse.

None of the Madison kids "have" to fly from Madison. The corps sends a shuttle from Madison to Bloomington for every camp.

• Like 2

So it's Madison in name and address only. There is a Madison, IN.

Ok...umm Cop.

What I see is an open, public, statement from the executive director, who has a Kentucky area code. In the statement, he essentially disses the city of Madison, Madison Public Schools, Dane County Regional Airport, the city of Whitewater, the town of Baraboo, the University of Wisconsin and our weather. So with that, can you tell the residents of the city of Madison, which I am not, although I do live in Dane County, why a portion of their already high enough taxes should go to the city of Madison giving money to the organization? They won't answer, since there are only about 12,000 people (about 5% of the population) who have ever heard of the Scouts, they are totally in the dark that this past year, the corps has spent no more than two entire days in the city itself. Why should the locals donate to what is to them, essentially an invisible entity?

Are these great things that are going to be done in Madison going to be visible to all? Announcements that this event or service is provided by the MDBCA, Inc? If they're not, then the public won't know. They need something visible, not a group that pulls into town for a day for their home show and a month later to get their picture taken in front of the capitol.

Locals tend to support what they can see. It's not just here, it's much of drum corps, at least world class. Instead of a local talking to another local about what they have seen a group do, they are now wondering whatever happened to them. And that's a sad statement on the activity that the locals are left hanging.

For example---based on Mr. Cop flying from Los Angeles to Madison. The director said flying to Indy is cheaper than flying to Madison....well....

Given their January camp dates, a flight from LAX to Madison is $280.80. LAX to Indianapolis on the same dates is $359.80. Perhaps more research is needed on the Scouts part. I believe that $280.80 is less than $359.80. So, that assumption by the director that it's cheaper to fly to Indy is wrong, at least from LAX.

All of your posts are irrelevant. What's your beef? Are you a disenfranchised citizen of Madison? What motivates your posts?

• Like 1

I want to thank Chris Komnick for his detailed post in this thread. While I may choose to believe some of his points, and dismiss others, I think it was very nice of him to at least post SOMETHING to address speculation out here. I'll accept the information that he gave for what it was, be thankful that he posted it, and not TROLL HIS ### OFF so that we never get a peep of information going forward. While I respect dissenting opinions, and might even have few of my own, I think it's kind of rude to figuratively kick the messenger in the gonads in a public forum. What the heck!!!!

Ok...umm Cop.

What I see is an open, public, statement from the executive director, who has a Kentucky area code. In the statement, he essentially disses the city of Madison, Madison Public Schools, Dane County Regional Airport, the city of Whitewater, the town of Baraboo, the University of Wisconsin and our weather. So with that, can you tell the residents of the city of Madison, which I am not, although I do live in Dane County, why a portion of their already high enough taxes should go to the city of Madison giving money to the organization? They won't answer, since there are only about 12,000 people (about 5% of the population) who have ever heard of the Scouts, they are totally in the dark that this past year, the corps has spent no more than two entire days in the city itself. Why should the locals donate to what is to them, essentially an invisible entity?

Are these great things that are going to be done in Madison going to be visible to all? Announcements that this event or service is provided by the MDBCA, Inc? If they're not, then the public won't know. They need something visible, not a group that pulls into town for a day for their home show and a month later to get their picture taken in front of the capitol.

Locals tend to support what they can see. It's not just here, it's much of drum corps, at least world class. Instead of a local talking to another local about what they have seen a group do, they are now wondering whatever happened to them. And that's a sad statement on the activity that the locals are left hanging.

This post is right on the money. The Scouts aren't the Madison Scouts anymore. Why hasn't the name been changed to the Indiana Scouts, or the Bloomington Scouts? Yea...either one sounds awfully silly. It seems like a bad strategy to me to say that the Scouts are from Madison Wi when they aren't. Perhaps the Scouts should take a look at why they were kicked out of so many facilities instead of moving the corps 400 miles away. If the Scouts want the full support of Bloomington & Indiana, wouldn't a name change help in that effort? This whole thing seems like a 3 card monty type deal to me & is very confusing. It is sad that the Scouts members don't get to enjoy the city of Madison...State Street, the Parthenon Gyros, & all the rest. Madison is a great city. I'm sad that the Scouts are no longer from Madison, Wi.

<he essentially disses the city of Madison, Madison Public Schools, Dane County Regional Airport, the city of Whitewater, the town of Baraboo, the University of Wisconsin and our weather.>

Setting aside the whole 'they are/are not from Madison' argument, I've got to say, Frankbeme's characterization of the Ex Dir's recitation of the corps' woes with Madison as 'dissing' is hyperbolic. We all remember hype - which in my day became a dirty word, being that it means a false sense of intensity.

False indeed is the assertion that anyone is dissing another through a report of the facts. Komnick used no swear words...no inflammatory rhetoric. He simply reported the facts about what had befallen the corps in and around Madison over the previous few years.

Dissing - like hype - implies a emotional, I'm a victim position that I did not in any way get from the Ex Dir's report.

This post is right on the money. The Scouts aren't the Madison Scouts anymore. Why hasn't the name been changed to the Indiana Scouts, or the Bloomington Scouts? Yea...either one sounds awfully silly. It seems like a bad strategy to me to say that the Scouts are from Madison Wi when they aren't. Perhaps the Scouts should take a look at why they were kicked out of so many facilities instead of moving the corps 400 miles away. If the Scouts want the full support of Bloomington & Indiana, wouldn't a name change help in that effort? This whole thing seems like a 3 card monty type deal to me & is very confusing. It is sad that the Scouts members don't get to enjoy the city of Madison...State Street, the Parthenon Gyros, & all the rest. Madison is a great city. I'm sad that the Scouts are no longer from Madison, Wi.

1. Make a huge donation.. I mean HUGE, since they do have that endowment under the Madison Scout name, you would have to off set those millions..

2. Then present your idea of the name change, let me know how that goes for you..

side note: The Los Angeles Dodgers spend their spring training in Glendale AZ as well as the Chicago White Sox.. Change their names right?

New York Yankees practice in Tampa Florida... I'll call them for you..

Edited by Cop

side note: The Los Angeles Dodgers spend their spring training in Glendale AZ as well as the Chicago White Sox.. Change their names right?

New York Yankees practice in Tampa Florida... I'll call them for you..

The difference is that they all play 81 games in their home city. You're really grasping for straws when there's no comparison.

Edited by FrankBeMe

The difference is that they all play 81 games in their home city.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bitter%20Party%20of%20One

You really think Vanguard and Blue Devils stay in the Bay Area and do 81 shows?

PM me and lets not hijack this thread..

BACK ON TOPIC... Scouts were very young last year as far as World Class Corps.. Looks like we have some solid growing years with this outstanding group in place.. Look how far those guard men came in two years!!

Go Madison!

Edited by Cop