Madison Scouts 2011

Happy 73rd Birthday Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps

The first rehearsal was held on February 8, 1938 in the basement of the Christ Presbyterian Church with equipment borrowed from the Masons. The instruments were bass, snare and tenor drums along with brass G-bugles. The drum major's baton was a broom stick and only three scouts had uniforms. Still the spirit was there and the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps was born. Mr. E. J. Hess was the first director and Mr. C. H. Beebe, Scoutmaster of Troop 20, was appointed quartermaster. C. H. Beebe became the Executive Director shortly thereafter.

From the 1938 Annual Report:

The Madison Boy Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps was started on February 8, 1938. In the short time of less than one year they have established themselves as one of the leading musical organizations in the Council Territory.

Offices of the Corps are: E.J. Hess, Director; Jack Waidley, Drill Master; Glen Wood, Bugle Instructor; Mr. Imhoff, Drum Instructor; C.H. Beebe, Custodian; and F.D. Blumenfeld, Treasurer.

The members of the Corps are all Scouts in good standing from fifteen Madison Troops. Troops having representatives are: 1,2,3,6,7,12,13,20,21,23,29,30 and 33. All of the Scouts must advance regularly, in fact they have set the pace for all Scout advancement in the Council. In addition to this they have piled up a total of 3278 hours of civic service to Madison and surrounding communities.

Source: Annual Report 1938 / Four Lakes Council - Boy Scouts of America

Where is the LIKE button?

Edited by bass5
  • Like 3

I hope your talking about the sound quality.

Sigh... Why does Web video have to suck, so much?

Huh...I wonder what year that was. His voice sounds a little different. The whistle though...spot on.

• Like 1

Huh...I wonder what year that was. His voice sounds a little different. The whistle though...spot on.

That whistle was more effective in waking me up than any alarm clock I've

ever had...wish I could program that into my actual alarm clock. And as far as his

voice, it may be the recording.