Madison Scouts 2011

I don't know about everyone else, but it was more than obvious to me that Madison's obvious weakness right now is their upper brass (kind of ironic for the men from Madison, I know). This year's show was so LOW and middle voice focused, it would be silly to revisit Malaguena just yet unless they can rope in some serious talent level in their soprano/trumpet line.

" Into Malaguena DARKLEY" ?

" The undescovered Malaguena " ?

Ok, now I'll go think of something without the sarcasm :smile:

I'd like to see a show with modern drill but with an old school format. Opener, drum solo , production # , closer. And if ANYONE could bring back a color pre, I think it would be Madison. Well, can dream can't I ?

I could see them playing to old Pharts and winning alot of hearts. Even more than this year.

In other words, a lot of people want Madison in 2011 to be Madison in 1980.

Makes me wonder if a lot of folks here want meatloaf and mashed potatoes every night for dinner. Comfort food has a place, but no one should be eating it every day.

Madison got a year of comfort food to get themselves back into finals. But if they keep going back to a well from 30 years ago for programming ideas, they'll soon establish themselves as the best consistent 9th or 10th place corps in drum corps, and I imagine Mason and company recognize that. Why not hope for them to establish some NEW classics rather than just being their own alumni corps show?

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1

It's great to see Madison back! There are too many to choose from. Like someone else mentioned, they do have a file cabinets worth of stuff to do. If any one could get away with with a kick ###, full blown drum feature it would be Madison. It would be nice to see a drumline get more than 32 counts of "dance and ram." I'm all for progress, but the part of 72-93ish drum corps that I miss the most is the full length drum solo.

In other words, a lot of people want Madison in 2011 to be Madison in 1980.

Makes me wonder if a lot of folks here want meatloaf and mashed potatoes every night for dinner. Comfort food has a place, but no one should be eating it every day.

Madison got a year of comfort food to get themselves back into finals. But if they keep going back to a well from 30 years ago for programming ideas, they'll soon establish themselves as the best consistent 9th or 10th place corps in drum corps, and I imagine Mason and company recognize that. Why not hope for them to establish some NEW classics rather than just being their own alumni corps show?

Yeah, kinda reminds me of all the doom and gloom "Scouts are doing Slaughter???!" angst of many on here a year ago. Amazingly enough, it worked! Now the prognosticators are back with the "ok, you did it for one year, but now it's time to move on" mantra.

Most here said that Slaughter/Rhapsody couldn't POSSIBLY get them back into finals! Yet, here they are. So I wouldn't put a lot past this design team.

Most here said that Slaughter/Rhapsody couldn't POSSIBLY get them back into finals! Yet, here they are. So I wouldn't put a lot past this design team.

I don't remember anyone saying that. The general feeling a year ago was that Mason and his staff would be able to put together a better show than the previous team because they had better skills - the programming was almost secondary.

But now that they've used two blasts from the past to re-establish the corps, they're going to have to start looking forward if they want to move up the ranks. Why the hell would anyone want their corps to only repeat stuff from the past? Surely the alums aren't that afraid of the corps looking forward.

Edited by mobrien

I know! How about if the corps does a show that gets the crowd going and entertains them. Maybe a show that is something like say… a fan favorite. Would that work? Is there a place for that in drum corps? Is entertaining the paying customer allowed?

Or should they do a show for the narrow-cast group of people that are smarter than everyone else (and love to let you know it), that most people don’t understand or care for?

A Drum Corps Fan's Dream - Part Tres