Madison Scouts 2011

Call me dumb, but what does TSTSNBN stand for?...A little more information please.

The site that shall not be named.

What is Giant?

Giant is a piece that I guess Boston used to play as a concert

number. I don't remember who wrote it or anything, I only remember

that it was one of three charts we played with them in the arc.

THINLY RELATED....

While looking for clips of Madison from Old Bridge, NJ last night I ran across a recently uploaded clip of the 1995 Scouts Finals performance.

The audience is obviously eating it up and Rondinaro and Cesario are falling all over themselves.

How did we get to the point that THAT would not be considered a good show? (Not that every corps ought to play that kind of show, but that our criterion has become such that that show cannot, on its own merits, be competitive.)

In a time when the activity struggles to pay the bills, shows like that will sell tickets, regardless what you thnk of it "artistically".

In 1995, I had no desire to see DCI Finals, which was about a 9 hour drive...until I saw Madison in Allentown the week before. That performance alone was the reason I attended Buffalo and to this day it is the only time I ever was literally jumping up and down DURING the performance. I was 20 rows up on the 45 and as loud as Madison was that night...the crowd was louder and I never heard the last chord of the show. The Old Bridge show was signifcant in that it was performed only 37 miles away from the great city that their show is about. People sitting near me had tears in their eyes, the guy in front of me turned around and showed me the goosebumps on his arms. This is a performance in JUNE..On Tuesday, the Scouts will have a free day in NYC and then the next night will be in Jackson, NJ..can you imagine what that performance will be like?

In 1995, I had no desire to see DCI Finals, which was about a 9 hour drive...until I saw Madison in Allentown the week before. That performance alone was the reason I attended Buffalo and to this day it is the only time I ever was literally jumping up and down DURING the performance. I was 20 rows up on the 45 and as loud as Madison was that night...the crowd was louder and I never heard the last chord of the show. The Old Bridge show was signifcant in that it was performed only 37 miles away from the great city that their show is about. People sitting near me had tears in their eyes, the guy in front of me turned around and showed me the goosebumps on his arms. This is a performance in JUNE..On Tuesday, the Scouts will have a free day in NYC and then the next night will be in Jackson, NJ..can you imagine what that performance will be like?

I can say in all honesty that I have NEVER seen a crowd reaction like the one for the '95 Scouts. That place was like a rock concert and that show was intensity and energy top to bottom. From the rotating company front to the end of the show, the crowd drowns out the corps. You seriously could feel the stadium shaking. Most insane, uninhibited crowd reaction I've ever seen. People were screaming, people were crying, people were (as you said) jumping up and down...I wouldn't be surprised if people were doing cartwheels and backflips in the aisles. It was a visceral, emotional response.

This is the first Scouts show since then that I think can even come CLOSE to that. '97 wasn't far off, but I think this show can get closer than '97 did.

95 by far was the biggest extended crowd "roar" I've ever heard at a DCI event. 92 VK had a huge reaction, but it was quick. 97 Scouts, as you mentioned, got the crowd but don't forget 99 either. It took the fans quite a while to settle back in after their hair was blown dry on that one long chord toward the end and that was a pretty solid screaming standing O at the end with the cross to star formation.

As for this year, all I've seen is on "certain other sites" but I get chills every time I see the closer. Can't wait to see what all is added to this show by the time I see it in Atlanta. I'm pumped....and I'm older school Scout so I'm more pumped that they have a show on the field that just grabs you, #### near forces you to scream and yell in happiness, leaves you humming the tunes and makes you happy you just spent money to watch a show. The scoring thing is cool, but to me I'm just happy to see that swagger back and see a show that seems to be one of the biggest talking points of this early DCI season so far.

95 by far was the biggest extended crowd "roar" I've ever heard at a DCI event. 92 VK had a huge reaction, but it was quick. 97 Scouts, as you mentioned, got the crowd but don't forget 99 either. It took the fans quite a while to settle back in after their hair was blown dry on that one long chord toward the end and that was a pretty solid screaming standing O at the end with the cross to star formation.

As for this year, all I've seen is on "certain other sites" but I get chills every time I see the closer. Can't wait to see what all is added to this show by the time I see it in Atlanta. I'm pumped....and I'm older school Scout so I'm more pumped that they have a show on the field that just grabs you, #### near forces you to scream and yell in happiness, leaves you humming the tunes and makes you happy you just spent money to watch a show. The scoring thing is cool, but to me I'm just happy to see that swagger back and see a show that seems to be one of the biggest talking points of this early DCI season so far.

95 for sure is one of those all time , down in history shows...loved it....not so fond of this year although glad they are doing well..something about certain corps , like them or not you want to see them do well and be respected..and Scouts for sure are amoung the few.

I know! How about if the corps does a show that gets the crowd going and entertains them. Maybe a show that is something like say… a fan favorite. Would that work? Is there a place for that in drum corps? Is entertaining the paying customer allowed?

Or should they do a show for the narrow-cast group of people that are smarter than everyone else (and love to let you know it), that most people don't understand or care for?

Is that meant as an insult to the musical intelligence of "most people"? (If so, it worked!)

I was at 95 finals, there were standing O's through out the show and it was pure chaos from the pinwheel through to the end of the show.

What is Giant?

Giant is Boston's corps song, sung by the members before each performance while standing arm in arm. The melody is from the 1957 James Dean movie "Giant", and the words were written by corps members sometime around 1962, I think. It is a very emotional piece, regarded as sacred by the corps members and alums.

The reverence with which Boston treats its corps song is another example of something these two drum corps have in common.

How many corps even have a corps song anymore?