Madison Scouts 2011

Weather is beautiful in Madison, WI. Low humidity, 60's at night with alot of stars, 80's during the day with alot of sun. Can't beat a weekend with alot of good people, and a whole BUNCH of Drum Corps! THE KILTIES!, Colt Cadets, Legends, TROOPERS, Colts, The Boston Crusaders, Bluecoates, Cavaliers, THE MADISON SCOUTS! It's just gonna be a great weekend. Gotta love it.

GO! MADISON SCOUTS!

• Like 3

Can't wait for the show tomorrow. Amazing lineup. :thumbup:

So, this will be my first time to Madison and to this show. Any advice from veterans on getting to the stadium, parking, etc? I'm only about four hours from Madison--anything worth coming up early for and spending the afternoon doing just in case I never make it back?

For the record, I just don't think that a drum corps show is the most appropriate medium in which we should commemorate 9/11. That's my only real point. That and I thought their depiction of it (the pointing at the sky, fake crying, etc.) was kind of overwrought. I have the same feelings about Cadets '02, although I didn't actually see that show live.

And, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'd be happy to change my evaluation of the New York, New York hit from "it's crappy" to "I didn't care for the arrangement and the transition into it seemed very stilted and ineffective." I'm not really sure the connotation of the two statements is that different, though. I did not enjoy that moment of the show. Or any of the other moments, really, except for ESoM, which I thought was fantastic. So sue me.

Meh...i kinda sorta agree with you (which is pretty normal for us). I watched the corps rehearse in jersey, as well as at the show, and thought some of the same things. Maybe it's because i've seen the new york thing done so much, but the first half of the show doesn't do all that much for me. It's not bad, but it's not exceptional either. As far as their performance, it was definitely a huge step up from years past, but just to my eye, they have a long way to go with their marching (brass was good though)

As far as the 9/11 tribute thing, i didn't really mind it. If anything, it was actually more subtle than when my own corps did it in 2002 (ok, that show was probably the most un-subtle thing ever), so really, by comparison, i thought it was nice. And then of course, there's ESoM, which if you check out my review on the show, was by far the moment of the night. In fact, most reviews that i've read about madison have said that being the corps that comes on after that piece is nearly impossible, which i totally understand... As someone who isn't impressed by much in drum corps anymore, i'll take a solid, if unspectacular show with an incredible emotional ending like that anyday though...

And obviously...i have no beef with madison - they never beat my corps while i was marching, and they aren't beating them now, so no ulterior motive there. They may well have my favorite moment of the year, but that wont make me predict them to come in the top 5 or something....

• Like 3

they have fallen to 7th :sad:

Sucks to fall to 7th from 10th doesn't it?

:rock:

• Like 4

So, this will be my first time to Madison and to this show. Any advice from veterans on getting to the stadium, parking, etc? I'm only about four hours from Madison--anything worth coming up early for and spending the afternoon doing just in case I never make it back?

The Scouts Alumni Annual Picnic thing (public invited) at 3pm on the school grounds - food, music, games and lots of people!

Last year I ran into several people I'd not seen in very, very long time. It was a spectacular day and I expect this one to be even better. Last season parking was no trouble at all and there was plenty to do to fill time before the 6:30pm kickoff.

Middleton is on the west side of Madison and roads coming up from the southside is pretty easy, coming down from north is a bit trickier (I came in from the NE and circled all the way around below the city to get up to the west side, hehe!).

I hope to see all of you there - great location, great crowd, awesome lineup - going to be a glorious day for a Drum Corps show!

Alumni, fans and family:

We look forward to hosting the 59th Annual Drums on Parade (drum corps' oldest show) and we think we have a great lineup of activities for you. There are still a few tickets available to the show, but you'll need to get them from the gate at this point.

The festivities include:

FRIDAY – JULY 8

MSARP 5-Year Anniversary (everyone welcome)

6p – Stadium Bar – Madison, WI (near Camp Randall)

Food and drink specials, performances on the big screens, good times!

SATURDAY – JULY 9

6th Annual – “GO FOR THE GREEN” Charity Golf Outing

9a – Pleasant View Golf Course – Middleton, WI

Proceeds benefit the Madison Scouts

3p – PRESHOW TAILGATE (everyone welcome)

Live music, food & beverages - located in the park right next to the stadium

Proceeds benefit the Madison Scouts

6:30p – DRUMS ON PARADE

Tickets still available but must be purchased at the gate

This is a big fundraising weekend for the Madison Scouts and we hope you can join us to make it a big success!

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

• Like 1

Go to the Capitol, so much is going on every weekend. Art Fair on the Square, Farmers Market, just to name a few. There is a free zoo, a couple big lakes, and state street for a really good GYRO! Oh, there is also some beer here in Madison, we the Alums. will be at the Stadium Bar across from Camp Randall tonight, you could always come hob knob with alot of Drum Corps History, it is open to the public, starts at 6pm. Enjoy the weekend!

Edited by thirdcoast