Madison Scouts 2011

Where is the accountability?

The accountability is that each judge puts their name and reputation on every score they give out. If she's got the stones to give Madison a smaller number than Crossmen and take the heat, I don't have a problem with it. Just means that the boys have to do a better job of selling her.

btw, she's not a big fan of Rosemont, either.

Some pretty big shows this week, gonna be fun to watch, will finally get to see some good head to head matchups live at the La crosse show on friday, can't wait!

Great show Sat. night guys! Can't belive people were crying after your performance, it was flippin SWEET! And yes, they are marching 20 Contras! :worthy: Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1

An interesting thin happened last night at the Madison show. A big, tough guy from Chicago was sitting behind us and all we heard all evening was how great the Cavaliers are this year ---- until Madison marched. When they playd Requiem/Empire State of Mind, he literally had tears rolling down his cheeks. After that, all he could talk about was Madison and it being the best show he's seen all year. There was a lot of that going around last night. The boys did a great job. The show has changed quite a bit since I last saw them in Indianapolis and it's all for the better. Way to go Scouts. Gained back a little this evening in Dubuque.

• Like 3

the Madison show was the first time i truly missed marching. i saw it many times during everydays and was happy that i aged out with the show i did. until last night it was the first time i wished i was able to be on that field playing that closer. there was constant clapping from requiem solo to the big hit in esom, then it was a standing roaring applause. which is what it is all about.

Your concerns are not all that important in my view. The entertainment value and crowd reaction are going in the right direction -- the fans cannot get enough of this show. Keep up the great work SCOUTS! Vic Russell

THIS is what it's all about! :thumbup:

Ok, so then - why? Give me a rational reason why drum corps is not an appropriate medium in which we should commemorate 9/11. Explain.

Just realized I never responded to this, and that probably made you think I was some sort of irresponsible, no-accountability troll, and we can't have that, can we?

I don't think drum corps should commemorate 9/11 for the same reason I don't think drum corps should tackle any "big" topics (abortion, the death penalty, cancer (cough--cadets 2008--cough))--they're usually bad at it. I have always appreciated drum corps shows that are just 12 minutes of cool music and good marching on a football field, and usually find anything more than that (stories, overarching themes, "messages") distasteful and insulting. It's difficult enough to convey any sort of concrete theme through a drum corps show; usually people have to resort to overdoing things, to making stuff ultra-demonstrative, basically to beating you across the head with the theme or "point." And that approach is particularly troublesome and dangerous for themes to which a lot of people have highly-charged emotional responses (Magic's pirate show--not a lot of risk. . . Cavaliers' PTSD show (which I also found troubling)--slightly more risk). It often comes off as cheap, trite, or hackish, and there's also a sense that the people writing the show are somehow taking advantage of your emotions, plucking your heartstrings to get a response.

It's also bothersome to me because for people that are/were close to ground zero, it's still a very sensitive subject. I'm not sure that a drum corps show lends the right gravitas that the situation requires, and for me personally I don't think a drum corps can give the subject the appropriate reverence.

But that's just me, and I'm sure that there could be a drum corps fan somewhere who lost their entire family on 9/11 but thinks Scouts' tribute is great. And I wouldn't necessarily want to persuade that person to see things my way, but it's my opinion that a drum corps show is not the appropriate place. Take it or leave it, or feel free to point out all the flaws in my reasoning.

FWIW, this show will never touch Cadets 2002 in terms of "oh-my-god-this-is-terrible" jingoism/overdoneness, as euponitone pointed out.

• Like 1

I don't think drum corps should commemorate 9/11 for the same reason I don't think drum corps should tackle any "big" topics ... they're usually bad at it...

I basically agree with you, although I think that the great majority of attempts in any artform to deal with serious subjects fail, resulting in "cheap, trite, and hackish" work. As there are fewer drum corps shows than novels, films, songs, paintings, etc., it's even less likely there to see successful artistic responses to difficult thematic material.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I basically agree with you, although I think that the great majority of attempts in any artform to deal with serious subjects fail, resulting in "cheap, trite, and hackish" work. As there are fewer drum corps shows than novels, films, songs, paintings, etc., it's even less likely there to see successful artistic responses to difficult thematic material.

I think that's a valid point.