Madison Scouts 2011

Post number 1,000 needs to be in the Madison thread.

Go Scouts!!!!!

:thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

(we now continue with our regular programming)

• Like 1

Can you please point out some examples of "honks" saying the corp got hosed by the judges. I don't recall seeing posts like that, but I may have missed them.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sorry, can't find the post, but I do recall reading here on the forum that folks booed the Scouts' placement in Allentown (which some did, enough to be noticed by the rest of us in the audience); the poster stated that he heard folks complaining that the scoring had been "rigged" on the way out of the stadium. Around that same time I also recall getting into it with some posters on facebook who complained that the Scouts "got hosed" (using those exact words) in A'town. Iirc, Madison did reasonably well at that show, and were scored/placed pretty fairly.

Over the winter there was a thread out here about audience response as a possible scoring component. When I stated that I felt hometown favoritism would be difficult to overcome, I got an almost immediate response from a honk who stated that under such a scoring system the MADISON SCOUTS (in those homer capital letters) would probably "do well at anyone's [hometown] show (I think he may have followed it with one of those little smiling thumbs-up emoticons for emphasis)." It doesn't translate well in the retelling, but it was clear in the context of the thread that the guy was saying that the judging community doesn't give Madison their due, even though everyone everywhere realizes how fantastic they are. I can respect that poster's passion and loyalty, but to me he just jumped on board a thread that really wasn't about that kind of thing to take a quick poke at the system on behalf of his team.

And most recently, from the post to which I responded: "From everything I have read on DCP, the Scouts, like usual, are crowd favorites. It appears that this bugs some fans who are seriously involved with the minutia of the scoring cards and the slotting process (yawn, yawn.)" May as well just say "never mind the realities of performance/scoring, just give these guys the number because they're entertaining" - with that dismissive "yawn, yawn" for all you losers who think "the minutia of the scoring cards" are important, just in case you don't understand where I'm coming from. And can we please, even if just for a minute, give the "slotting process"/conspiracy theory stuff a rest?

If I'm a cranky old curmudgeon (and if I get accused of heresy for my remarks), then so be it. And once again, I think the Scouts have a great corps this year, and I think they're going to do well for themselves come August. But the whole underdog/old-school hero/got-hosed-because-of-the-politics thing with which some folks would want to anoint them wears thin on me - and maybe it "bugs" some other folks out here as well.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

The Allentown show is a decidedly EAST COAST show, so if they were booing, it was just fans in the crowd that enjoyed the show more than others. The stands aren't just full of Scout honks.

The Allentown show is a decidedly EAST COAST show, so if they were booing, it was just fans in the crowd that enjoyed the show more than others. The stands aren't just full of Scout honks.

I dunno -- I've heard plenty of Scouts-scores-booing at J.B.Crum !!

Not to be argumentative, but Allentown has always been a very pro Madison

crowd, at least as far back as when I marched.

Scouts break 80 tonight but come in 1 point behind SCV. Getting crowded in the one point band above and below Madison.

• Like 1

Not to be argumentative, but Allentown has always been a very pro Madison

crowd, at least as far back as when I marched.

Absolutely and plenty of times when their score was "boo'ed" and rightfully so......then again, many scores for many corps are boo'ed in Allentown.

Geoffrey

Met Jim, Jr. Knew his Mom and Dad pretty well (I think of Jim Sr. as a wonderful mentor), and hmm- if Jim would read this- perhaps take a look at something I believe he was involved with a long time ago and re-visit it.

How about Clifton Williams' Symphonic Dance #3, "Fiesta" ???

If anyone could write a tasty, in your face Scouts version of that-- he certainly could, and if he did, it'd be way cool. :thumbup:

Haha my high school Played that for concert season. It was great. I would be amazed if scouts did that :D

I dunno -- I've heard plenty of Scouts-scores-booing at J.B.Crum !!

True, but then again, when I marched, our scores were booed every night we lost.

I'm not saying Allentown is not very supportive and gracious to the Scouts, but that's because the Scouts always entertain. I'm just saying that it's not like it's just overflowing with Scout alumni and honks.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Like it or Not... it's an 80 Baby! :worthy:

Thats What I'm Talking About! Keep working men, they will not deny you. Your show is really good.

The tension is building, see ya on the field this weekend...LIVE! Can't Wait!

"Its so exciting!"

GO! MADISON SCOUTS!