Madison Scouts 2011

Harmon definitely didn't write any of '96. That was all Mike.

If I remember correctly, '96 was the year that Harmon was on Brass staff, not visual. That would have made basics easier if Ivan weren't there.

Harmon was on visual staff in '96. I can still hear (in his voice, no less) his "first-day-of-the-month basics" speech. He was one of my favorite guys as well. Van Matthews was another. Wish they both had still been with Scouts for the last several years.

Yeah...I thought that what a buddy told me way back 10 years ago. (That Harmon was on visual in 96). I couldve sworn that same person told me he was on brass staff in 95.

Either way, 90's scouts = :thumbup:

I feel like I'm alone on this idea...but I think the Scouts need to go back to doing things the old way. Not in the sense of bringing back old school shows, but in the sense of being as innovative as they were back in the 90's.

M.E.G.

:thumbup:

Edited by Cop
  • Like 1

I feel like I'm alone on this idea...but I think the Scouts need to go back to doing things the old way. Not in the sense of bringing back old school shows, but in the sense of being as innovative as they were back in the 90's.

Yeah, I kinda see that happening now, actually. Scouts got criticized A LOT for seemingly being so "obsessed" with having an entirely (or nearly entirely) closed system...being that the entire staff and design team was FMM's in the 90's. Yet, that group thought outside the box pretty well and put together some of the all-time, best-loved Scouts shows. They certainly knew a thing or two about how to entertain. But, as former Scouts themselves, they also placed a high value on identity (core values, tradition, competitive success).

I kinda get the feeling that Mr. Mason is an outside-the-box kind of guy who places a huge priority on entertainment and tradition as well. Call it a hunch. Most people sway too far to either end of the spectrum (Pioneer vs. BD), but maintaining an equilibrium is where the magic happens.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Perhaps Harmon did something in '96? Either way, Chris was my fav. instructor. Nothing like those old school Madison guys teaching you. 97-99 = best summers of my life.

Was Chris still wearing his 1990 "Lemon Squeeze" tshirt??? :thumbup:

Yeah...I thought that what a buddy told me way back 10 years ago. (That Harmon was on visual in 96). I couldve sworn that same person told me he was on brass staff in 95.

Either way, 90's scouts = :thumbup:

It's entirely possible I have 95 and 96 confused re: Harmon. I just know that one of the years I marched he was on brass staff, and it was weird.

I'm gettin' old, and that was a long time ago, you know? Anyway, now that we've solved that major issue....GO '11 SCOUTS!

Edited by MaestroBen

1989 (Les Miserables). I work for Robert's wife's marching band and have been around Robert quite a bit as a result. His arrangements/compositions are incredible and I am very excited to have him on our staff. I also know that Robert has loved the Madison Scouts and before he ever got the call from Jim Mason, he told me how much he loved the direction the corps is going and talked about how this last season brought back memories from the years that he loved most. I remember in 2009 when he came and watched rehearsal and he knew a good amount of Scouts history (Beyond what is common knowledge). Robert is a very welcome addition to the Madison Scouts!

I agree that Robert Smith is top notch and that Madison is in good hands. The sophistication of his Suncoast arranging and the superior performance musicianship was, indeed, impressive. I am excited to hear what awaits Madison.