Madison Scouts 2011

I am an alum. I am sure the powers that be will do what they feel is best for the corps . That is fine with me !

But, take a look at the recap's from prelims in 1981 (side 2 ). We had only 6 tick's the entire show . We had spats on . They were more than likely all on me ! :lookaround: We had an instructor that would throw rocks at ya if you messed up . I think it worked because we got pretty darn good !!!!! :tongue: Maybe that's why I limp today ? :rock: I saw many a rock come my way !

I hear you. It's just a matter of cost/benefit analysis. Every day it's "Where will our time best be spent?" There will probably be a long list of items above "throw rocks at tic'ers all day" :-) That's not to say that fundamentals aren't important ; they fix a whole basketful of problems (many not even related to marching). But I just don't see the sense in putting a high-contrast item like spats on performers -- it's like attaching strobe lights to shoe laces. Sounds cool until they step off.

Edited by corpsband

In other words, I don't think it's likely that any visual staff in their right mind would willingly put spats back on the field. Alumni -- yes. But a competitive corps would have to be insane.

Wouldn’t they get credit for the spats in the same way a difficult horn book would get credit?

Difficult horn book gets no credit unless it's successfully performed.

I agree, and subtle, miniscule mistakes that would be hard to pick out of a well performed brass book would be as obvious as the sky when talking about white feet at the bottom of green pants.

Just saw a video (somewhere :cool:) from last night's show and really

like what I saw. There's certainly work to be done, but this is sure

to be a crowd favorite. Lots of cool things happening in this show!

Edited by madalumni

Exactly, it may be a nice bone to throw the fans/alumni, but adding them will do nothing from a scoring potential except possibly in the negative sense. I just fail to see why it would be worth the risk.

Because we're the Madison Scouts...and we laugh at risk.

The risk may be there, but they potential payoff is worth it. And make no mistake, if they are marching spectactularly, it will definitely be rewarded with the spats drawing attention to that. So there is a risk/reward element...contrary to what you are both stating.

Because we're the Madison Scouts...and we laugh at risk.

The risk may be there, but they potential payoff is worth it. And make no mistake, if they are marching spectactularly, it will definitely be rewarded with the spats drawing attention to that. So there is a risk/reward element...contrary to what you are both stating.

There are MAYBE 2-3 corps in DCI that could pull of spats, and unless Scouts have a top 3 marching program... well....ya.

There is a reason that the best marching corps in the activity don't go out of their way to draw attention to their feet.

Edited by BozzlyB

There are MAYBE 2-3 corps in DCI that could pull of spats, and unless Scouts have a top 3 marching program... well....ya.

There is a reason that the best marching corps in the activity don't go out of their way to draw attention to their feet.

Just out of curiosity, while at work, if a particular part of your job is going to fall under stricter scrutiny, don't you tend to pay more attention to it and work more diligently at it? I think goes for pretty much anything. The more attention is drawn to something, the more care and diligence is paid to it. I'd rather they strive for that than to fall into the mediocrity of "hiding" flaws.