Thank You Indy

I liked Indy for the 3rd straight year...note to all avoid the Sheraton City Centre like the plague. Other than that, I love how nearly everything down down is within reasonable walking distance. The "Raceino's" are not to far away for a little gambling pleasure, Indiana live was a very nice place...hit a couple of simulcast trifectas as well.

My only Beef is why cant DCI start each show an hour or 2 early and get us out of LOS by 10pm or something.

If they didn't have to clear out the stadium and clean up after OC Finals, they might be able to start WC Finals earlier.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phenomenal weekend in Indianapolis.

$5 cab rides!!!!

Monument Circle (South Bend Chocolate Company!!!)

Hampton Inn's haunted elevators.

And two completely full days in drum corps in a great indoor stadium.

Given the hot and humid weather outside, it was great in the cool and breezy Oil Can.

I think my one complaint would be the location of the Fan Marketplace. That's it.

Oh, and Marine Corps D&B Corps playing the corps on....see, DCI listened after last year.

I ran back up to my seats to hear the mass playing of "Battle Hymn" for one of two possible outcomes:

A: Great playing by 12 of this year's best corps

B: The possibility of a repeat of 2008

I am so glad it was A. Bobby Flay loses again on Throwdown.

A weekend in Indy isnt complete without steak dinner & shrimp cocktail at St. Elmos.

Edited by FlamMan

On Wednesday night we ate at Harry and Izzy's. http://www.harryandizzys.com/ "Devour Downtown" was going on Sundays-Thursdays with high end restaurants offering 3 course meals for $30. I like H&I but if I'd known about the Devour Downtown deal in advance we probably would have gone to Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse (really fab meatfest and salad bar) since it is normally $46 without dessert. I am a vegetarian and husband is a carnivore and we both love that place. Salad bar only is $19.50. http://www.fogodechao.com/ Then we dropped into the Hall of Fame Event and grabbed a drink, participated in the raffles and were bathed in the sound of Star of Indiana.

About a week before finals I jumped on Ticketmaster and bought $75 tickets for Fridays semi-finals front and center. Sat in 140, 3rd row so I could have my face peeled off by corps and so I could witness the emotion on the faces of Star alumni during their performance.

Rather than attend finals on Saturday we wandered about White River State Park to watch some of our favorite corps warm up. White River State Park has a number of attractions to check out including the zoo, Victory Field, the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, the Indiana State Museum (complete with a replica old school department store tea room for those with a taste for nostalgia), rentals of Four Wheel Surrey Bikes, Cruisers, Tandems, Pedal Boats and Kayaks and Segway tours around the canal. http://www.in.gov/whiteriver/about/attractions.html

Edited by anniem

Went to the airport Thursday 9:00 a.m. had a 2 hour layover before the our connecting flight, got to the hotel at 8:30 p.m. and had dinner at Fridays. Friday or Saturday 8:30 a.m. went across the street to watch VK drum line warm up. The red high top running shoes were a giveaway. Very cool. We watched lots and lots of corps warm up. Friday semis, Saturday finals. On Sunday, IMS for 3 hours (including the museum, cool) and Fashion Mall for 4 hours (um Brenda and I had a nap at the Sheraton lobby's leather seats 'cause I got 4 drum corps T shirts and ran out of money; neat retro hotel) with 4 hours sleep the night before. Monday up at 6:00 a.m. again with 4 hours sleep, a 3 hour layover at the connecting flight (um, I was bumped to executive class on the 4 hour flight both ways; very cool too) and home by 6:00 p.m. our time. We had a great time! Drum Corps Rocks! We're going to get together in October to exchange notes, stories and photos 'cause Deb is going to Europe as part of her 6 week vacation. Oh yeah, we had lots of fun in Indy. This post is the tip of the iceberg. Downtown Indianapolis is pedestrian friendly and I liked it :innocent:

A weekend in Indy isnt complete without steak dinner & shrimp cocktail at St. Elmos.

a-friggen-men.

the sauce with the shrimp cocktail will clean your sinuses out, and the steak was cooked to prefection.

also reccomend Rock Bottom, Rams Head, Alcatraz and Steak and Shake

a-friggen-men.

the sauce with the shrimp cocktail will clean your sinuses out, and the steak was cooked to prefection.

also reccomend Rock Bottom, Rams Head, Alcatraz and Steak and Shake

I have done that same restaurant lineup in Indy in 1 weekend.

Has a hard core inner city feel to it which doesnt appeal to me. I know my wife felt very unsafe walking back to our hotel.

Serioulsly?! Where are you from? "Hard core inner city feel" is far from anything in downtown Indy.

I thought Indy was okay...plenty of things I liked: flat streets, wide sidewalks, plenty of restaurants, nice canal walk. We went to the Speedway via city bus ($1.75 one way) which was easy. Also like the $7 trip to the airport on the Indo Go Green (or something like that) shuttle. Airport was also very new, clean and easy to understand.

I'm from Atlanta so I am used to a little panhandler action (though it is now illegal here), they were a bit aggressive in Indy. Every other corner, a few that approach you, many shaking the cup of coins. I didn't feel unsafe at all though, and it was nice to see SOOOO many drum corps fans and drum corps members walking the streets. On Saturday we sure took over that Steak and Shake...lots of Open Class corps members and some of the non-finalist World Class members too.

While I had an okay time, there just wasn't enough to do over and over again. If I return next year, I see myself just flying up Saturday morning.

Serioulsly?! Where are you from? "Hard core inner city feel" is far from anything in downtown Indy.

Lolol this +10. I used to stay in Indianpolis all summer for most of my childhood, I've never found it frightening or "hard core" just kinda lame and in some cases dirty. However seeing as how I can't enjoy the bars there it may be more fun for the older crowd. As for dangerous though I guess any city is dangerous but I'm much more wary in my hometown than in Indy...

Lolol this +10. I used to stay in Indianpolis all summer for most of my childhood, I've never found it frightening or "hard core" just kinda lame and in some cases dirty. However seeing as how I can't enjoy the bars there it may be more fun for the older crowd. As for dangerous though I guess any city is dangerous but I'm much more wary in my hometown than in Indy...

No need to feel unsafe in Detroit. This guy's got it locked down...

robocop-the-series.JPG