• 2003-Harmonic Journey
    • 2004-Apasionada 874
    • 2005-Rhapsody
    • 2006-Faust
    • 2007-On Air
    • 2008-Spartacus
    • 2009-The Red Violin
    • 2010-Into the Light

This is likened to the BD and Crown threads of similar nature.

Vote for your favorite and discuss.

For Me:

1. 2003 Harmonic Journey

This was the first DCI show I had ever seen, and thus, will always hold a special place in my mind. It's hard to argue with their beautiful renditions of Sanctus. :tongue:. May not be the cleanest show ever but #### can they play.

2. 2006 Faust

Introduced me to some wonderful orchestral music that I most likely would not have discovered for some time. Great arrangements from Mr. Shaw as usual.

3. 2008 Spartacus

Hard for me to watch this show and not want to stand up and cheer at the end of this show. Some of my favorite theatrics ever in a corps show.

4. 2010 Into The Light

Just pure beauty at the beginning and the end. The "conflict" section in between adds a really nice contrast. Hated this show when I first saw it on FN, but after seeing it live, I'm head over heels.

5. 2007 On Air

Some more great music and one of my favorite ballads of all time. Nice visuals as well.

6. 2005 Rhapsody

Who doesn't love Gershwin? Really cool to see American Paris put on the field. One of their "lighter" shows of the decade, IMO.

7. 2000 The Masters of Mystique

This show is probably higher for me than most people, simply because Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky is one of my favorite composers ever. Not too hot on the unis this year. :innocent:

8. 2002 Heroic Sketches

Another one of my favorite composers is featured by my favorite corps!

9. 2004 Apasionada 874

10. 2009 The Red Violin

11. 2001 Virtuoso

I think they hit three out of the park.

2008 (Spartacus) - obviously. I was there, too. :innocent:

2005 (Rhapsody) - I think that guard soloist, in terms of design into the program, is the most well-crafted single character I've ever seen in a show. And he made sure the entire field was all about him, an amazing feat when the audience is at least 30 yards away.

2003 (Harmonic Journey) - Oh yeah - the whole was definitely greater than the sum of its parts. The Sanctus reprise - one of the all-time classics.

Mike

I think they hit three out of the park.

2008 (Spartacus) - obviously. I was there, too. :innocent:

2005 (Rhapsody) - I think that guard soloist, in terms of design into the program, is the most well-crafted single character I've ever seen in a show. And he made sure the entire field was all about him, an amazing feat when the audience is at least 30 yards away.

2003 (Harmonic Journey) - Oh yeah - the whole was definitely greater than the sum of its parts. The Sanctus reprise - one of the all-time classics.

Mike

Totally agree with this, but add in On Air.

1. 2003 Harmonic Journey (Wasn't going to Orlando till I saw them in So Cal, made the reservations the next day)

2. 2006 Faust (Saw it live in Madcow - AWESOME)

3. 2008 Spartacus (Saw it live in San Diego and wondered why they were so far behind BD)

Agree with the top 3 in order. Yes, Spartacus won a championship, but as far as "unique" programming choices, I'll take Harmonic Journey & Faust

4. 2005 Rhapsody (Saw it live in Allentown. Just liked the directional change and they did it well)

5. 2010 Into The Light (Only in theater - initial concerns were unfounded)

6. 2007 On Air (A let down after Faust)

50. 2009 The Red Violin (A mistake from day one, and sufferred due to following the epic that was Spartacus.)

The Regiments problem is this. When they connect, they do so on a level that, IMO, no other corps can do. So, for example, 2003, great connection, 2004 while possibly done really well, didn't have the same connection. Same for 06-07. Then came the 08-09 debacle. Red Violin, no matter how well written or executed, didn't stand a chance after Spartacus. So, 10, decent connection, what will they do in 11, to make that connection even deeper? Son of Spartacus, learns to play the Red Violin while looking Into The Light and takes a Harmonic Journey On Air to see Faust? Who knows?

Edited by Rocketman

1: Spartacus. In a world completely on its own. Absolutely the wildest reaction I've ever seen from a crowd at a drum corps show when they finished performing, only to be topped when the scores were announced.

2: Harmonic Journey. Loved, loved, LOVED this show. To this day I still tear up when I hear that arrangement of Canon.

3: Faust. Tremendous show, just a few pieces away from a title that year.

4: Virtuoso. I view this as a very underrated show for Phantom. It doesn't pop like some of their other programs but there's some really good stuff in this show. Festive Overture was a great piece and I honestly liked their version of Concerto for Orchestra over Vanguard's this year.

5: Rhapsody. Certainly a change of character from them as far as more light, upbeat classical music, but still a really enjoyable program from top to bottom.

6: Into the Light. Low only because it's so recent and I'm still digesting it. Didn't care for it at all the first time I saw it live but I'm liking it a little more every time I listen to it.

7: On Air. Really good closer, but overall it felt like a step back from the previous year.

8: Heroic Sketches. Tried to be a successor to '96, had some good moments but just didn't stack up to the original.

9: Masters of Mystique. Just not a show I'm that familiar with, but I enjoy the closer.

10: Apasionada. Just didn't do it for me.

11: The Red Violin. Certainly the most forgettable show on the list. This one never stood a chance from the start with all the departures and being in the shadow of Spartacus.

1. Spartacus

2. Into the Light

3. On Air

4. Harmonic Journey

5. Faust

6. Rhapsody

7. Red Violin

8. Virtuoso

9. Apasionada 874

10. Masters of Mystique

11. Heroic Sketches

That's one of the harder things I've had to do this week...

Edited by euphononium

4: Virtuoso. I view this as a very underrated show for Phantom. It doesn't pop like some of their other programs but there's some really good stuff in this show. Festive Overture was a great piece and I honestly liked their version of Concerto for Orchestra over Vanguard's this year.

Uh oh. I hate to admit that I've only seen this show once :innocent:

I might have have to go back and watch it now.

I'll bite. So hard - I love many of these shows! Here goes...

1. Spartacus - Drum Corps Bliss - up there with SCV 89, Madison 95. Lightening in a bottle connection with audience

2. On Air - Most under-rated show of the decade, IMO

3. Harmonic Journey - Best music book of the decade. Period. Goose bump city. If only Sage had been onboard already...

4. Faust - Delicious. Ballad & closing sequences just gorgeous. Guard was beautiful

5. Rhapsody - a sheer joy. Highly under-rated

6. Into the Light - Beautiful. Very under-rated brass line

7. Apasionada 874 - the closing minutes saved this show. Better guard needed to take it over the top

8. Masters of Mystique - Love, love, love the music - one of my favorite shows to listen to on CD. Visually awful.

9. Virtuoso - Love, love, love the music. The Bartok was awesome, and wow, that ending was electric!!!

10. Heroic Sketches - a swing & a miss

11. Red Violin - colossal programming & visual disaster

Edited by TexasPRfan