• 2004-Apasionada 874
    • 2005-Rhapsody
    • 2006-Faust
    • 2007-On Air
    • 2008-Spartacus
    • 2009-The Red Violin
    • 2010-Into the Light

Touche, Vinny. :innocent:

I picked Spartacus, with A Harmonic Journey a close second, Rhapsody a close third (that front ensemble...), and Faust a close 4th.

Come to think of it, there really aren't a lot of Phantom Regiment showings I haven't liked, at least from some perspective.

Of course, being a honker and living in Rockford, I am bias.

Its hard to rank Phantom's music when you have see and heard it from tryouts to finals.

I love each one in a different way.

But....I will talk about 2 recent shows.

In the gym, before outdoor pratice starts, I often have a chance to hear the entire horn section play the entire show.

The Red Violin was so beatiful it brought me to tears.....now my least favorite show of the decade.

Sparticus had me puzzled. There wasnt any part of the music I liked. But at the end it is my favorite PR show of the 20+ years I have gone to finals.

....hoping Phantom builds on this year's sucesses and comes back from the light with a show that is both musically and visually inspiring........

Favorite = 2003 (Harmonic Journeys)

>>I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more votes so far. Maybe people let placement cloud their judgment?

If I include my own subjective idea of their "best" show... Favorite Plus Best = 2006 (Faust)

>>I think this is a better show than 2008 Spartacus, and just as well performed, IMO

1. 2008 - Spartacus - I heard it was a pretty good show ;-P

2. 2003 - Harmonic Journey - Loved it from the first corpsgasm in Sanctus. Enjoyed the heck out of The Lords Prayer too!

3. 2005 - Rhapsody - That jam out session at the 9 minute mark blows my mind everytime. Thought this show should've placed 2nd.

4. 2004 - Apasionada 874 - I LOVE the source music although the show itself left a little to be desired.

5. 2006 - Faust - I didn't get it early.....and I still hate Scythian Suite....but you knew they were about to do something great.....too bad it took them 2 years to do it.

6. 2001 - Virtuoso - LOVED Festive and I really liked some of the stuff in the middle. I was literally a plane ride away from marching this show my age-out year but I pussed out at the last minute because of a girl and a sudden fear of flying (9/11 was 2 months later...go figure) I regret this to this day...and am unable to watch this show because of that.

7. 2009 - Red Violin - Hey I really dug the music and although it could NEVER have succeeded after Spartacus....I enjoyed it...even with its flaws.

8. 2010 - Into the Light - I appreciate it more now that I know the personal nature of it to the designer. It's a beautiful show, but my only problem was that it seemed like one really long ballad. ....and when the best part of your show is when everyone runs on the field and when everyone runs off.....that's a bad sign. I never got that "moment" except for maybe when Mr. Pringles was introduced...err I mean the Chevron.

9. 2000 - Masters of Mystique - The only Stravinsky I can stand to listen to honestly. They were pretty good that year.

10. 2007 - On Air! Never got into it. Thought the ballad was taken WAAAAY too fast for my taste. I LOATHE The Firebird.

11. 2002 - Heroic Sketches - Admittedly this is the ONLY PR show I did not see live in the past 14 years....with that said....it left alot to be desired.

Yeah - I did it. I voted for Red Violin.

In all honesty, it's hard to top 2008 and I should have voted for it. But I seem to be the only person on the planet the liked 2009 so I thought I'd give it some love.

Honorable mentions to 2006 and 2007.

Edited by bartyount

1. 2008 - Spartacus - not just my Phantom phavorite of the decade, but one of my all-time phavorites in all of DCI (most days THE pick)

2. 2006 - Faust - the ballad and closer were simply awesome

3. 2003 - Harmonic Journey - it's all about the song selections and arrangements. Wish the opener was better in tune, but the reprise in the closer was off the hook

4. 2010 - Into the Light - outstanding program choice and design. the only things keeping it from being my second phavorite of the decade are: 1) bass synth, and 2) horn line too reserved volume-wise (not Phantom-y enough). I really appreciate the drill, soloist, and emotional levels of this show. I'm not a percussionist, but even I can tell that this percussion section is smokin'.

5. 2007 - On Air! - the block form with the upper brass trill and then the beastly low-brass entry a little over 3 minutes in is phantastic, and the Flower Duet is superb

I also liked a lot of 2002, but really didn't get in to many of the other years of Phantom from this decade. 2004 had great talent but the program did not sell. 2005 was enjoyable in person, but I do not like to listen to it on the CDs. 2009 PROGRAM was very disappointing.

Favorite = 2003 (Harmonic Journeys)

>>I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more votes so far. Maybe people let placement cloud their judgment?

If I include my own subjective idea of their "best" show... Favorite Plus Best = 2006 (Faust)

>>I think this is a better show than 2008 Spartacus, and just as well performed, IMO

AGREED.