• 2003-Harmonic Journey
    • 2004-Apasionada 874
    • 2005-Rhapsody
    • 2006-Faust
    • 2007-On Air
    • 2008-Spartacus
    • 2009-The Red Violin
    • 2010-Into the Light

Like everyone else except I'm not on the Rhapsody train. I found it... distracting.

2008-Spartacus

2003-Harmonic Journey

2006-Faust

2010-Into the Light

2004-Apasionada 874

2002-Heroic Sketches: The Passion of Shostakovich

2007-On Air

2005-Rhapsody

2000-The Masters of Mystique: The Dawn of Modern Music

2001-Virtuoso

2005-Rhapsody

2009-The Red Violin

This is one of those situations where one year should be excluded, just to give other shows a chance - i.e. "Which show not named 'Spartacus' is the best Phantom show of the decade?" ;)

In my case, excluding the epic greatness of '08:

-'06. Saw it live in Madison. In a sense, this show for me helped to reinforce the reality that Phantom no longer choked on finals night. It kind of helped that Phantom arrived as a percussive powerhouse by winning high drums. :) And bonus points to the horn line by going with all low brass during the ballad.

-'03. Phantom has certainly had cleaner drill, but after spending the prior 5 years or so in the wilderness competitively, it seems like this was the year Phantom finally got its groove back. Anytime I really want to get pumped up, I just listen to the closer. (Which I believe I will do after finishing this post!)

-'07. Visually, I just really loved this show. Personally, I thought the aqua/green baldrics and gauntlets were a good addition, and the amber/horizon guard shields on the field were a nice touch. Musically, this extended the great sound of '06. I especially enjoyed the flugelhorn duet in the ballet.

HM: '10. A bit more new-agey than I'm used to out of Phantom, but hands-down this was the most beautiful thing on the field this year. Well done. Now, if they can just get their visual issues under control and switch back to King...

As much as I really, REALLY love the story arc of Spartacus - both in the show and in the way the season unfolded and ultimately ended - my most favorite 2000's show from Phantom is 2003's Harmonic Journey. There is just soooooo much tasty yummy music to listen to from top to bottom.

Im gonna be one of the odd ones out, but I love 07. As much as I love the story from Spartacus, the music of On Air speaks to me beyond all else. ( as weird as that sounds) It was THE show that got me into drum corps. And still the only version of Firebird I can stand to listen too. Thank you two straight seasons of that as my closer in high school ruined it for me, except for how Phantom does it.

Im gonna be one of the odd ones out, but I love 07. As much as I love the story from Spartacus, the music of On Air speaks to me beyond all else. ( as weird as that sounds) It was THE show that got me into drum corps. And still the only version of Firebird I can stand to listen too. Thank you two straight seasons of that as my closer in high school ruined it for me, except for how Phantom does it.

If the guard uniform wasnt so hideous, I would have had this much, much higher.

G

2005 will always have a special place in my heart.

2008 a close second.

And yes, I'm weird, but I think that despite visual and execution problems, the music from 2007 real gripped me! I've listened to that one probably more then almost any other from that year.

1. 2008 (Spartacus) - #1 DCI show of all-time (for me).

2. 2007 (On Air) - Ballad is so-so, but the bookend movements are INCREDIBLE. Okay, the drill at the very end stunk, but I'm a music man, and this is one of the best ending ever.

3. 2003 (Harmonic Journeys) - Was real, real high on this show for a long time. Still love it, but my goodness is the brass over-blowing in the finale. Ick.

4. 2000 (The Masters of Mystique: The Dawn of Modern Music) - Don't let the placement fool you: a solid musical show top to bottom. One of Phantom's best ballads, with that gorgeous solo.

5. 2004 (Apasionada 874) - Under-appreciated show, I think, with great finish.

6. 2001 (Virtuoso) - Under-appreciated show, I think, with great finish (but my oh my were there some musical tears before the big finish).

7. 2006 (Faust) - Great sound, but really pales in musical effect compared to most of their shows.

8. 2002 (Heroic Sketches) - This is the year the corps "found themselves" again after four years in the wilderness.

9. 2010 (Into the Light) - I wanted to like this show a lot, but it didn't do a whole lot for me outside the ingenious entrance and exit.

10. 2005 (Rhapsody) - I wanted to like this show a lot, but it didn't do a whole lot for me

11. 2009 (Red Violin) - I wanted to like this show a lot, but it didn't do a whole lot for me