You're in a Drum Line?

another of my fav funny parts: breaking on "chicken and a roll"....SAD

also, ANY part involving the basses makes me what to SCREAM.... i HAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE their "technique" and that whole "I LOOOOOVVVEEEE MY DRUM!!!" ########!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another of my fav funny parts: breaking on "chicken and a roll"....SAD

also, ANY part involving the basses makes me what to SCREAM.... i HAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE their "technique" and that whole "I LOOOOOVVVEEEE MY DRUM!!!" ########!!!

Don't forget that when you challenge another bass drummer for their spot, to do it with choreography.

Did anyone else think that the "other" drumline should have won the drum off at the end of the movie versus Nick's drumline? I thought they were waaay better, seriously. I think their judging may be as biased as DCI's! :tongue:

I've never seen the film. However, a couple weeks ago I mentioned in a non-corps forum that I had just seen the Massillon show, and by way of explaining drum corps, I linked to a clip of BK's brass line warming up. In response a friend wrote, "But can they play 'Flight of the Bumblebee'?" and posted an image from the film. I didn't follow the reference, so he elaborated:

It's used as a symbol of bad band programming. In the context of the film, the domineering Dr. Lee confuses musicianship with showmanship. His band's proficiency at the technically difficult "Bumblebee" impresses the middle-class audience not at all; they much prefer the modified hip-hop and jazz rhythms of the opposing band. Luckily our bad-boy hero drummer excels at such stuff, and in the end Dr. Lee has to admit defeat and let him play lead in the drumline in order to win the competition.

I've added the emphasis to note what struck me as an interesting parallel to discussions here about this year's DCI season.

After a few moments of watching those dirty and cheesy drumlines, my mind wandered, "if only they could have featured the '75 SCV snareline," sigh. I know, I was dreaming. What a blown opportunity.

I alway thought it would be funny to put the same parts into "virtual drumline" and re-dub the movie with clean, computerized drumming.

Bottom line, you can't make a REAL drum line into a movie script, it's something you can't recreate. And...........

I'm sure you would be able to hear an audition from a car far away to hear rudiments, stick heights, accents, see proper technique, and all that fun stuff.

If there were marching contests like that out there, shame on whoever puts those on.

A rookie wouldn't be that high up on a snareline, it takes more work and dedication than that.

That much drama on a line? Come on. If a line has that much drama, they've got some ISSUES.

There aren't these intense SOLO moments where 3/4 of the show is a snare solo. 1) There are 2 other sections on drum line that are just as important. 2) The rest of the band matters just as much.

NO BASS SPLITS? COME ON! You can't challange another bass for their spot with some dancing around and some quarter notes, a bass line works TOGETHER, not as individuals.

NO PIT. You can't have an awesome band without a pit. :/

If every section in your band says "WE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT SECTION" they've got some issues........

A good band has SO much more class then this one.

You can't just trade off players to other schools, that's ridiculous.

I could go on every day about how much I hate this movie. If my drum line and band were like that. I'D QUIT. You can say this movie showcases southern style bands, but they take it too far with some of it.

My general statement anytime ANYONE mentions this movie: "I personally enjoy the movie from an entertainment standpoint, but it is the worst movie ever made for the marching activity. Now every punk with drumsticks thinks they're Devon Miles, and when REAL lines (especially corps-style) aren't that way, they quit."

Oh, and Morris Brown wiped the floor with A&T at the Dome. Just sayin'.

NO PIT. You can't have an awesome band without a pit. :/

I've seen some awesome "show-style" bands without pits. Texas Southern, Bethune-Cookman, among others. A trip to the Dome for a HBCU Battle of the Bands a few years ago did that for me. That show opened my eyes to just how good some show bands really are. I saw some impressive drill that day. Out of all those bands, I was sorely disappointed to see only ONE drumline moment that impressed me, and that was Texas Southern's field entrance. The movie Drumline has it all wrong, apparently.