You're in a Drum Line?

People. Get over yourselves.

IT'S. A. MOVIE.

It's not exactly like what you experienced in your bands or corps because they had to make it understandable to the large audience they were going for. And the audience did understand and relate! That's why it did well at the box office and in DVD rentals/sales and why it gets showed on TBS every once in a while! It's a movie that most movies fail to do, if they attempt to do it all, which is almost never; Make the marching arts look cool! And you're complaining because the drumming is dirty? Because a rookie got as far as he did? Because stuff didn't happen just like in your band/corps or in any other group you know of? It's a movie?

I challenge all of you Drumline Haters to collectively come up with a screenplay about corps-style drumlines, and then take it around to Hollywood types, and if you're fortunate enough to get anyone to give a serious look to it, and if you're fortunate enough for them to say "It has potential", they'll probably say that there are a bunch of things that need to get changed in order for it to work.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7f97a245-b4b6-4d84-9663-78b45b1feb1b.png

"Drumline" (the movie) = fairy tale. Just like "Mr. Holland's Opus," "Fame," "Glee," "High School Musical," etc. If they may be someone's idea of entertainment, then I say to those folks go ahead, indulge yourselves, by all means. But the o.p. is correct. "Drumline" bears little resemblance to the reality as we know it.

peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

lul

hf7y2212.jpg

Did anyone else think that the "other" drumline should have won the drum off at the end of the movie versus Nick's drumline? I thought they were waaay better, seriously. I think their judging may be as biased as DCI's! :cool:

yeah, they were WAYYYYYY better

i also "love" how the hornlines are MUCH better than the drumlines in a movie ABOUT drumlines

People. Get over yourselves.

IT'S. A. MOVIE.

It's not exactly like what you experienced in your bands or corps because they had to make it understandable to the large audience they were going for. And the audience did understand and relate! That's why it did well at the box office and in DVD rentals/sales and why it gets showed on TBS every once in a while! It's a movie that most movies fail to do, if they attempt to do it all, which is almost never; Make the marching arts look cool! And you're complaining because the drumming is dirty? Because a rookie got as far as he did? Because stuff didn't happen just like in your band/corps or in any other group you know of? It's a movie?

I challenge all of you Drumline Haters to collectively come up with a screenplay about corps-style drumlines, and then take it around to Hollywood types, and if you're fortunate enough to get anyone to give a serious look to it, and if you're fortunate enough for them to say "It has potential", they'll probably say that there are a bunch of things that need to get changed in order for it to work.

Nahhhhhhhhh... not "complaining." I think I posted that it wasn't bad for a MOVIE. Hollywood dresses everything up to make a story. And they sure did this movie as well: Inner city kid... no one understands him... he's got issues... goes to a big school... conflict... hot chick and the obligatory make out scene... overcomes issues... does the right thing... everyone lives happily ever after. Very realistic.

It's just an easy movie to pick on... BECAUSE IT'S A MOVIE!! :w00t: No one would watch it if it was more real life, anyway. Too many egos in the snare lines. :thumbup: Of course, they COULD just make a movie about how awesome I think I am sometimes. But then I see like Scott Johnson or the entire Phantom Regiment Snare Line or that middle snare from Madison this year and I suddenly realize I suck. :cool:

Anyway... come on now... this is just a thread that gives us a chance to bust on a movie a little, because most of the people commenting here were IN a drumline so they can justifiably bust on and criticize. No one is saying it shouldn't have been made or that it isn't in SOME way moderately entertaining. You know... cool visuals and all... like the baby powder explosion off the head and all that... :smile: (which Northstar did first by the way... waaaaayyyy back!)

Edited by GGarrett

Instead of getting snooty about how you're so much better than that, use it as an opportunity to tell people what drum corps is all about and what the differences are. And I don't mean "Like, they suck and are totally dirty and don't play anything hard," that's not exactly going to intrigue people about the activity.

Instead of getting snooty about how you're so much better than that, use it as an opportunity to tell people what drum corps is all about and what the differences are. And I don't mean "Like, they suck and are totally dirty and don't play anything hard," that's not exactly going to intrigue people about the activity.

People who don't know anything about this activity (which includes about 99.99% of the population) don't hang out here anyway. There wasn't one kid in that movie who could have cut a WC line. No way!

Drum corps drum lines now have far more gigs to do thanks to the "Drum Line" movie.

It was great exposure. The average Joe six pack couldn't care less about the difference.

It's all just loud banging noise to most people.

The real difference between the drum line in the movie and real drums lines is that the

movie made a whole lot more money.

Edited by BDUFLS