Prior to Finals Retreat....

Except, we had to wait for the I&E stuff in order to see Star.

Yeah, I figured I saw Star when they were Star. I'm not big on the alumni shows to be honest. I liked these corps in their time...not reliving their memories in front of me. I would imagine for many, the opportunity to get together and rehearse was as, if not more rewarding than displaying their current skill level for us.

They were good in their day. Now, not as good. That's what I have taken away from each one of the Alumni performances. Sorry. Maybe I am missing something, here.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you are missing something...a chance to revisit history and enjoy the legacy of an old friend, or in other cases, the chance to revisit the legacy of current friends.

in my group, 3 people didnt even know about drum corps, let alone Star when they left. They were thrilled to finally hear that music live. yeah they knew we werent going to see cross to cross, but then again, none had ever seen the Cavies play Bully or Softly as I leave you. Hell, none had even seen Cavies play anything from Planets live unless it was an encore.

and the rest of my group...just thrilled to see and hear an old friend back.

celebrating the past is an awesome thing in drum corps when its done right, as all of the alumni reunions that have appeared over the years has been. My god....in 2002 when SCV did the Bottle Dance, or when Royal Airs were "on the starting line"...complete with a starters pistol....the crowds went nuts.

one thing baseball and football do so well is they celebrate the past while going nuts over the current product. Here is where DCI has done a great thing with these alumni projects, including Bayonne at Allentown.

you are missing something...a chance to revisit history and enjoy the legacy of an old friend, or in other cases, the chance to revisit the legacy of current friends.

in my group, 3 people didnt even know about drum corps, let alone Star when they left. They were thrilled to finally hear that music live. yeah they knew we werent going to see cross to cross, but then again, none had ever seen the Cavies play Bully or Softly as I leave you. Hell, none had even seen Cavies play anything from Planets live unless it was an encore.

celebrating the past is an awesome thing in drum corps when its done right, as all of the alumni reunions that have appeared over the years has been. My god....in 2002 when SCV did the Bottle Dance, or when Royal Airs were "on the starting line"...complete with a starters pistol....the crowds went nuts.

one thing baseball and football do so well is they celebrate the past while going nuts over the current product. Here is where DCI has done a great thing with these alumni projects, including Bayonne at Allentown.

Being that I could not possibly add anything to this or say it any better, I'm letting what's above speak for me.

in my group, 3 people didnt even know about drum corps, let alone Star when they left. They were thrilled to finally hear that music live.

This.

Getting to see/hear Star live was absolutely amazing- so many of us in the junior corps activity either now or recently never got to see Star live- I was only 8 in 1993 and didn't know what drum corps was until 2000.

It was an opportunity a lot of the "younger" people in the activity had only dreamed of.

but...i felt bad for Potter trying to talk and the kids playing. IMO, the age outs should have known better.

But even Potter nearly started chuckling at one point, and I thought he was going to lose it. The age outs may have started it, but nearly every person that was left at that point joined in...and it was FUN!!!! I felt it lightened the mood and I thought the age outs were respectful during the I & E performances, it was during the other endless presentations that they got restless. Let me say this...I remember the wave(s), but I don't remember a darn thing Potter said or what the presentations were. :tongue:

I agree with pretty much everything said above.......

I was watching the big screen while the Star Alumni was playing.

Surprisingly, the live sound matched pretty well with the clips on the big screen!

Some friends around me had never seen Star of Indiana live and I tried to explain what made them so special.

The big screen clips, along with the alumni music, helped.

As for the age-outs starting the wave and causing 'trouble'....what do you expect?

Its THEIR TIME!

....kids will be kids, even young adults........

This.

Getting to see/hear Star live was absolutely amazing- so many of us in the junior corps activity either now or recently never got to see Star live- I was only 8 in 1993 and didn't know what drum corps was until 2000.

It was an opportunity a lot of the "younger" people in the activity had only dreamed of.

Exactly.

yeah, just not for me. I prefer athletes in their prime. Not as fantasy camp players.

Pardon the salty response here, but that's why we have online videos these days. It's a nice gesture to the fans, and no doubt the alums had a fabulous time getting back together. But a few points to consider: 1) If the people next to you didn't even know about drum corps, or have ever heard Planets played live, or whatever - how could they possibly appreciate the value as we consider it? The simple fact that some people lived and performed those shows adds value TEN FOLD compared to someone hearing it or learning about it for the first time. 2) When I heard of the Star Alumni corps I was PSYCHED. I got incredibly less psyched when I learned that a number, if not many, of the "alumni" on the field had no affiliation whatsoever with Star of Indian other than perhaps, say, Donnie Van Doren consulted with the corps for a couple weeks during their summer tour. That makes them an alum? Maybe they needed numbers to perform, but this was pretty silly to me, and took away from the entire idea for me. That being said, I hope everyone involved, and especially the actual alums that were present had the time of their life, again. The historical contribution Star made to DCI deserves to be honored, but i would have been happier under the impression that it was the actual corps members.If nothing else, bring back the members and introduce them - but as Tom said, playing with the Star alum corps for the sake of trying to be a part of Star is ... well :tongue:

Edited by 08Hawkeye

Pardon the salty response here, but that's why we have online videos these days. It's a nice gesture to the fans, and no doubt the alums had a fabulous time getting back together. But a few points to consider: 1) If the people next to you didn't even know about drum corps, or have ever heard Planets played live, or whatever - how could they possibly appreciate the value as we consider it? The simple fact that some people lived and performed those shows adds value TEN FOLD compared to someone hearing it or learning about it for the first time. 2) When I heard of the Star Alumni corps I was PSYCHED. I got incredibly less psyched when I learned that a number, if not many, of the "alumni" on the field had no affiliation whatsoever with Star of Indian other than perhaps, say, Donnie Van Doren consulted with the corps for a couple weeks during their summer tour. That makes them an alum? Maybe they needed numbers to perform, but this was pretty silly to me, and took away from the entire idea for me. That being said, I hope everyone involved, and especially the actual alums that were present had the time of their life, again. The historical contribution Star made to DCI deserves to be honored, but i would have been happier under the impression that it was the actual corps members.

and I thought I was the lone voice in the woods. Thanks for this.

Athletes in their prime. Not fantasy camp memories.