Prior to Finals Retreat....

Pardon the salty response here, but that's why we have online videos these days. It's a nice gesture to the fans, and no doubt the alums had a fabulous time getting back together. But a few points to consider: 1) If the people next to you didn't even know about drum corps, or have ever heard Planets played live, or whatever - how could they possibly appreciate the value as we consider it? The simple fact that some people lived and performed those shows adds value TEN FOLD compared to someone hearing it or learning about it for the first time. 2) When I heard of the Star Alumni corps I was PSYCHED. I got incredibly less psyched when I learned that a number, if not many, of the "alumni" on the field had no affiliation whatsoever with Star of Indian other than perhaps, say, Donnie Van Doren consulted with the corps for a couple weeks during their summer tour. That makes them an alum? Maybe they needed numbers to perform, but this was pretty silly to me, and took away from the entire idea for me. That being said, I hope everyone involved, and especially the actual alums that were present had the time of their life, again. The historical contribution Star made to DCI deserves to be honored, but i would have been happier under the impression that it was the actual corps members.If nothing else, bring back the members and introduce them - but as Tom said, playing with the Star alum corps for the sake of trying to be a part of Star is ... well :tongue:

As far as i know, all (or at least most) of those who were in there that werent alums were filling out sections for balance, and werent just there because 'donnie van doren consulted with them a couple weeks' but they were students of star alumni who have been on staff (mainly at Crown and Blue Stars), trained in Star's brass philosophy. The second generation of Star, if you will. The vast majority, from what i could see when i got down on the field later, were 85-93 star alums.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Star's performance was excellent. Using the video screens was an innovative idea. I'm glad they didn't waste time trying to learn some watered-down drill.

The I & E fiasco was a massive fail (especially the bass drum ensemble.)

The vast majority of webcast viewers would logoff prior to the age out ceremony if the top two scores were announced prior to the ceremony.

As far as i know, all (or at least most) of those who were in there that werent alums were filling out sections for balance, and werent just there because 'donnie van doren consulted with them a couple weeks' but they were students of star alumni who have been on staff (mainly at Crown and Blue Stars), trained in Star's brass philosophy. The second generation of Star, if you will. The vast majority, from what i could see when i got down on the field later, were 85-93 star alums.

Filling out sections for balance, just as I alluded to, maybe less elegantly in "needed numbers to perform." If that were the case, I should've been down there drumming with the Star almuni corps - and does not change the fact that I would have felt COMPLETELY out of place in doing so. Could I hang with the notes? Yeah probably. Does being taught by their staff make me part of history? Not a chance.

It's more of a question, I suppose, if the intent was to honor the corps or the music. Whatevs. It was better than Miley Cyrus during retreat last year.

When I heard of the Star Alumni corps I was PSYCHED. I got incredibly less psyched when I learned that a number, if not many, of the "alumni" on the field had no affiliation whatsoever with Star of Indian other than perhaps, say, Donnie Van Doren consulted with the corps for a couple weeks during their summer tour.

I will say this: I talked to a number of Star Alumni about this (true star alumni- mostly those from the 90-93 era), and they explained that the non-star members who were in the alumni corps were invited to be there because they had been taught by star members. One star alumni went so far as to say that, because they share the technique program used by star, they are family, which I thought was awesome.

We have to keep in mind, after all, that star was only around for 9 years of competition. that's not very many alumni, even if you count each member of each year as a new member (aka ignore vets), and I know for a fact that many people marched star for 5+ years. Inviting members of other corps' to participate was, I thought, a very classy move.

As far as the 'football stars, not fantasy players' argument goes- that's all well and good for those who got to see those players in their prime, but was incredibly meaningful to those of us who never got to see Star perform; it was like a dream come true for many of us, both because of their influence in the activity, and the amount we (I) love their shows.

gotta agree. poor kid's are playing their hearts out and the age outs decide to be enteratining in their own right ( and FYI, i just did the slo mo waves because it was that #### funny).

but...i felt bad for Potter trying to talk and the kids playing. IMO, the age outs should have known better.

There never should have been a ceremony added to DCI. Just let them block up on Finals night .... let the ageouts come on to the field and leave their shoes like we used to do. Set down your teddy bear or your poem .... or a thank you letter to whomever you wish. It takes an extra 30 minutes to clear the field on Finals night ... let it be done then.