The "Tick" System

7 hours ago, Continental said:

How many loved shows would have done much worse under the tick system?

I'll point to the Crossmen '92 thread.  If that show were judged under the tick system, I don't think it would have done so well.  IMO there are a lot of issues with visual execution. 

But the current system allowed for it to become greater than the sum of it's parts because of the total package.

On top of this, a show like Crossmen '92 would never have been attempted under the tick system. 

One also has to look at what was being done under each system. As some might think todays wouldnt survive under a tic system. corps from back then wouldnt survive in many ways in todays world ....all around...kinda pointless comparing 

They were great BITD for many reasons, including pushing the envelope to lead the way to today, as there are greats today for dozens of reasons

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

One also has to look at what was being done under each system. As some might think todays wouldnt survive under a tic system. corps from back then wouldnt survive in many ways in todays world ....all around...kinda pointless comparing 

Yes, but then there was '82 Garfield Cadets which was still under the tick system and whose approach to show design was quite new.

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

Yes, but then there was '82 Garfield Cadets which was still under the tick system and whose approach to show design was quite new.

Yes , but as I said those of the past are the reason we are where we are today..and IMO thats a great thing

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

Yes but as I said comparing is pointless, as great as it was and still is visually survive today? I don't think so. Not saying one better than the other, just different

Musically I do think it could stand strong today, visually as clean as it was no, guard for sure no, but the point is that wasn;t today and great......for the time

Edited by GUARDLING

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

tYes , but as I said those of the past are the reason we are where we are today..and IMO thats a great thing

Yes biut as I said comparing is pointless, as great as it was and still is visually survive today? I don't think so. Not saying one better than the other, just different

Perhaps my wanting to celebrate Thanksgiving along with you Americans has caused me to suffer under a tryptophan high as a result of too many Swanson Turkey TV dinners.

AKA - I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. 

tv-dinner-1954-swanson.jpg

• Haha 2

Just now, Continental said:

Perhaps my wanting to celebrate Thanksgiving along with you Americans has caused me to suffer under a tryptophan high as a result of too many Swanson Turkey TV dinners.

AKA - I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. 

Sure you do...lol..Oh man remember those dinners in those containers...lol

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep different styles of shows to match different styles of judging. I still think tic and today systems are both subjective as hades. Can write as much verbiage as you want about what makes Box 5 but.... it’s still a judges opinion it the criteria is met

Yes, tics were absolutely subjective. Was event 'X' good or bad? Did it deserve a tic....two...three????

As I noted above, what was and wasn't a tic varied by circuit and level. Each judge had to decide what that event warranted.

Yes, today's system is also subjective. As always. No problem with that. A judge had better provide the commentary to justify the score today. 

IMO tics led to vertically arranged music in brass, with clearly defined attacks and clearly defined releases. A staff did not want any chance for a phrase to possibly get hit because of overlapping horizontally arranged phrases. 

In drumming, one trick I remember was having nice big cymbal crashes at the end of a snare phrase...made it more difficult to tell if the line hit the release cleanly or not. 

It is all judge opinion, and it always has been. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:49 PM, GUARDLING said:

The Tic system was a hot mess and just as now opinion. There was little to no accountability back then and proved pretty much nothing. Nothing consistent and what some called exciting when a corps could jump or fall many spots one day to the next, others would say impossible and shows one judge to another...just opinion..I  also taught and  judged under both systems.

So you are proud that we eliminated any chance of that ever occurring... ?

On 11/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, GUARDLING said:

Those, especially many judges didn't like that there was criteria attached for scoring..gone were the days of " I called it the way I saw it or heard it without accountability. Judges had to also answer for scoring and many didn't like that.

There is plenty you can criticize about the tick system.  But this one makes no sense.  Judges were marking down every tick on a sheet with various context indicating when/where it occurred, and simultaneously describing those same observations in tape-recorded running commentary during the show.  So how was there no accountability?

On 11/27/2020 at 1:44 PM, Continental said:

Wth is price of D69?

Lol my Turkey dinner (courtesy of sis picking up Cracker Barrel family feast) came in Noodles and Company take out bowls. Upped the technology and nuked em...

edit: no zip code, man is that “vintage” 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari