The 150 member increase.

Hmmm...now I can finally get to my point (and sorry it's taking so long). A little birdie told me that the Glassmen had SEVEN holes in their hornline this year. How many did they really march? Not sure. I'm certain it was a LOW 70s number or maybe even a high 60s number.

Yes, maybe at one point in JUNE, but they marched a FULL 78 at Finals. Insert applicable check your facts bashing here.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, maybe at one point in JUNE, but they marched a FULL 78 at Finals. Insert applicable check your facts bashing here.

Ummm.....never mind. I was going to refute. But I'll just let you slide on this one. I want to focus on the 09 stuff for now. At least until my phone re-charges and I'm able to finish.

Ok, I went through the 1987 legacy DVD. First of all, you may find that I might be off by 1 or 2 brass. If it wasn't clear I counted again and went with the higher number. Field percussion should be spot on. A couple of the guards I could be off on because of characters in Star's, VK, and SCV's shows. I might be one low and I gave each corps 2 drum majors. So take it for what it's worth...if anything.

This is how I will do it...

corps - brass - snare/tenors/bass drum/cymbals if any = ? - guard - pit - dm=?

Coats 56 - 7/5/6/4 = 22 30 - 7 - 2 = 116

You have a couple mistakes in your count for us.

Brass - 56

Percussion - 23 (we had 5 cymbals not 4)

Pit - 7

Guard - 31 (we had an equipment person)

DM - 2

Total - 119

Sigh! Yes, I know. If you read my whole post, you would have seen where I mentioned the "bus seat" reason. Then I said in the very next sentence that I did not intend for this to be another tired old discussion about why we changed the number max. This discussion is meant to be about the success of the change (or lack there of)

Yeah People don't stick with what the OP intended hardly ever on this forum <sigh> Sorry. But I will.

I think it has been succesfull. I love the large hornlines. Marching holes is an age old problem. I don't think the

corps size increase changed this. I always heard discussion of holes even when the rules were 128 members.

34th season of following drum corps here.

Edited by Perry S

You have a couple mistakes in your count for us.

Brass - 56

Percussion - 23 (we had 5 cymbals not 4)

Pit - 7

Guard - 31 (we had an equipment person)

DM - 2

Total - 119

Thanks and I stand corrected. Remember my post, I wasn't claiming exact accuracy like the other guy. Just trying to show that most corps have never marched the max no matter the limit.

THAT is going to be my next project...because I SAW your figures and am 100% certain that you were WAY off the mark on SEVERAL of your figures. If any corps had hornlines in the 70s that year, it was Cadets and Star. NOBODY else! I KNOW you were off on several!

I welcome you to. Just remember if I was over that proves my point and you further wrong. I have said that many corps were not at the max in the 128 days and you said 90% of the top 25 were when you marched, whenever that was. I just showed that almost all of the top 12 didn't have 128. I did get confirmation from a member of the Bluecoats of 56. I did say that Star and Cadets had 75 and 70. Feel free to count SCV and PR. No matter what number you get there have been many corps that have been under the max over the last 24 years.

Edited by cage

* Carolina Crown - 80 brass (8:09), 18 battery...could not count guard and pit for this one. The cream colored uniforms made it nearly impossible. Though I will guess that they really were probably 150.

Well, you've certainly put a lot of effort into this. Here's a trick to help count: tape a piece of paper over the screen, through which the image shows, and then count by writing a number by each player. That's how I counted the Bluecoats 2009 image posted earlier to this thread.

* Bluecoats - 78 brass (11:10), 18 battery (10:45), guard was too hard to count because they kept hiding behind the front field props. And pit was too hard as well. Ok, since they have no total, we'll go ahead and give them a "150" by default. Though I have my doubts. With a number like 78 for brass (and one person certain earlier in this thread that they had 80), I would bet that there are holes in the brass line and therefore they were likely 148.

I also got 78, but to repeat my earlier question: who's sitting on the DM podium in the shot linked above -- guard members or brass players?

Well, you've certainly put a lot of effort into this. Here's a trick to help count: tape a piece of paper over the screen, through which the image shows, and then count by writing a number by each player. That's how I counted the Bluecoats 2009 image posted earlier to this thread.

I also got 78, but to repeat my earlier question: who's sitting on the DM podium in the shot linked above -- guard members or brass players?

I think those are the other dm's (I could be wrong)

I think those are the other DMs (I could be wrong).

Thanks.

I hear ya, cage - and I did read where you rounded up. Believe it or not, I did the same with the guard pit and DM counts that I was not certain on (and still got lower figures than 150).I also want you to know that I don't intend to come down on you. You seem like a very reasonable person and I appreciate that.

That said, I'm certain (as I marched those years) that you are quite a distance off on a few of them. For example, I'm pretty certain that SCV had 64 horns. Same with Phantom (though I have not counted yet so I might be wrong). Hornlines in the 70s was not a common thing yet. Even when Cadets and Star did it a few times back then, it was considered monsterous. Star's 70 horns in 88 next to everyone elses 58-64 looked like some huge college band or BOA finalist band's hornline. So I have my doubts that anyone other than maybe Cadets (because they experimented with 86 the year before and probably didn't want to deny a bunch of returning vets membership) and MAYBE Star had hornlines as big as big as 70.

Honestly, at that time 58 was still the common number and 64 like today's 80. 70 would have been like a 90 member hornline today (just not something you would LIKELY see... at least not in the near future).

Have a good one, cage. And thanks for your insight. I'll go check those 87 numbers when I get a chance (and maybe a few other years just for the fun of it...I think we can all relax and just enjoy this discussion now anyway. I actually kind of like studying this stuff. I like statistics).

Edited by txpride