Ways to save money without killing DCI

TEPs pay a set fee to DCI ($7500 in 2010) in addition to the cost of each corps. This fee is meant to cover fixed costs of DCI personnel at local shows (judges, show coordinators, etc)

DCI is getting paid $7500 to attach 10 or 12 people (or so) to a local show, when the Cavaliers or Crown or Phantom show up, having to transport and feed 160-200 people, and get about 1/3 the amount that DCI charges for their people.

If I was a corps, I'd begin to wonder about the financial thinking of the "league office" too.

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supersop, your intent is admirable, and I fully agree with it. I'm not trying to squelch anyone's opinion here, but opinions based on misleading financial documents can lead to wayward ideas (and "solutions") that are based on inaccurate or misleading data - a complete waste of time and effort.

To make this thread viable and useful (beyond simple ideas like "...use local judges instead of flying them in and housing them") the discussion should start with QUESTIONS of the 990 data then have those questions answered by an authority from within DCI. Then, once we have the facts, we can put our collective brain trust (such that it is :lookaround: ) in gear to offer possible money-saving alternatives.

So, MODS, please delete this thread and, SuperSop, start it again with questions about the numbers and let's try to get answers from DCI itself.

IMHO, this thread should be left wide open.

In all of the other G7 threads, there is unfounded speculation on the G7 corps ... why can't there also be unfounded speculation about DCI?

I do agree with you that to be more "thread friendly" things should be phrased in questions ... and I would HOPE that would also hold about the intent of G7 as well.

To the other posters points. There is hard evidence that shows the pay structure for all the corps. I have it in my file folder at the bottom of my desk. If you want a copy for yourself, contact DCI as a potential show sponsor and they will send you packet in the mail that breaks it down for you.

That will only tell you what the TEP pays DCI....not what the corps receives from DCI.

I guess I need to restate the intent more clearly.

There is much speculation about the G7 looking for opportunities to create revenue for themselves

There is much speculation about DCI (by the G7) that there are areas of unsustainable overhead in the DCI fiscal structure.

Feel free to speculate in whatever direction you want. There's plenty of opportunity to do so.

While the G7's intent is suspect .... they point out specific areas where they felt improvements could be made.

I would prefer to assist in coming up with solutions to the problem without taking away from anyone, nor giving advantage to a few rather than the whole. I would hope the drum corps community, including those of us on DCP, would feel the same. I also believe in transparency and offering informational source material that others haven't had the opportunity to look at so far in this entire section of WSODC on DCP.

There are "general" ways to make suggestions and potential improvements to the bottom line.

There are "somewhat informed" ways to make the suggestions.

There are "totally informed" ways to make the suggestions.

2 out of 3 ain't bad!!

I came up with a few ideas that haven't been commented on. There have been suggestions of a larger judging pool to minimize travel expenses........ and that's about it so far.

That will only tell you what the TEP pays DCI....not what the corps receives from DCI.

I only have a hard copy of the pay structure from 2007. I'm sure it's changed a bit since then so I won't comment.

TEPs pay a set fee to DCI ($7500 in 2010) in addition to the cost of each corps. This fee is meant to cover fixed costs of DCI personnel at local shows (judges, show coordinators, etc)

So this amount hasn't changed in a few years. But, I do remember there being 3 or 4 different packages offered to TEP's. One included the 7500 plus performance fees. One was without the performance fees. Another had no performance fees and a smaller judging panel. And I believe the last was an exhibition situation.

I can't image that the first package has changed. If the TEP isn't paying the performance fees, then the gate cut structure must have changed since I was involved. Any TEP's care to share on this?

Edited by supersop

DCI is getting paid $7500 to attach 10 or 12 people (or so) to a local show, when the Cavaliers or Crown or Phantom show up, having to transport and feed 160-200 people, and get about 1/3 the amount that DCI charges for their people.

Good grief.

1. As has been established in this subforum, the corps you name above receive far more than $2500 per show in the end, when revenue sharing payments are made.

2. You might also recall that kids don't get paid to perform in this activity....actually, they pay for the privilege of participating.

In light of recent rumors about Blue Devils leaving DCI to do their own thing in 2011, I take a new perspective on this item:

Slide 27:

"Business Relationships

Corps and their related organizations will have the ability, and first choice, to provide services required by DCI.

ï‚ Official Education Provider

ï‚ Official Ticketing Agency

ï‚ Office Marching Music Event Manager

ï‚ Official Merchandise Seller and Provider

I can't accept the concept of delegating vital services to individual corps when any one of these corps might leave DCI at any time (and take that vital service with them). That's why we have a DCI office.

Good grief.

1. As has been established in this subforum, the corps you name above receive far more than $2500 per show in the end, when revenue sharing payments are made.

2. You might also recall that kids don't get paid to perform in this activity....actually, they pay for the privilege of participating.

The costs of transporting the corps to the show is a MAJOR expense to those organizations, and unlike the judges, the corps actually sell tickets, and have an inherently greater value to the show promoter. Do you think that $7,500 for a panel of judges is a reasonable fee in the relative world of show expenses? It seems a little out of proportion to me, when the performing organizations are given a relative pittance for their work that night.

You've been mentioning this "far greater" amount that the major corps receive from DCI, but as of yet, no one has come through with verifiable numbers to back up the assertion. Since it sounds like you feel confident that you know what these amounts are, how about putting them up here?

Edited by mobrien

Not true at all. Raising questions about information provided in the 990s is perfectly legitimate. However, drawing conclusions and casting aspersions on the efficacy of DCI's administration based on 990's is irresponsible, at best.

Further, there is no qualified representation from DCI (i.e. the CFO) on these boards to counter the assertions or clarify the numbers.

Again, I fully agree with the intent of the thread. However, reaching conclusions without stating professional qualification is potentially damaging to the reputation of the administration staff at a time when they are under attack from member corps.

To ask for clarification of financial numbers is reasonable. To assert an opinion as factual is irresponsible.

This is an opinion board, to be sure. But basing opinions on data as poorly presented as 990s in far from appropriate.

DCP mods should protect the reputation of the board by closing this thread now.

then every thread on here should be closed because people do exactly what you cry about here everywhere.

it's easy how to solve the problem...prove the poster wrong