Game Changers

Makes sense. Star really was the first corps to use wholesale body movement in the hornline, but I think it was limited in the show and really didn't catch on for another 10 years or so. (I know Phantom when they added their horn movement in '03 was a little behind the curve.)

So now we're moving on to the next phase, with more nuanced "dance" movement. I think really '08 was the first time I noticed it, mainly because of Madison's dance moves in Danzon #2. BD and Crown have sort of taken it much further in the last two years (and especially Crown this year).

I wonder if we're heading towards a show that will have a wholesale "choreographed" movement rather than conventional drill?

Mike

Nice post and I agree: However, I think Garfield '87 was the first corps to use dance moves and ballet positions in the horns and drums as integral parts of the show. John Vanderkolff marched in the Garfield Cadets that year and went on to write for Star in '93. I think he wrote choreography for the horns in Star because he knew that horn players could do it. He'd done it himself.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are missing the boat on "innovating" and "mastering". These are issues of introduction, but rather making a good concept that much better.

Hmm, maybe my idea of a game changer is different or maybe I don’t agree with the way that history is being written, or maybe it's really more about fashion, what is currently in vouge, in a notoriously copy-cat idiom...it was interesing to see some of that chicken-headed, big 80's hair a la mad-max this year, I'm glad they got it mastered in time for 80's retro craze

The only game changing I saw this years was rather minor and already mentioned and it was the Bluecoats use of electronics as backing atmospheric tracks (which were mixed horribly for their finals run and are apparently still not being judged as part of music ensemble )

Just wait, soon corps will figure out they can disguise a real-time live click track (with visual clues) as a musical effect and march their field shows to Dr Beat - good bye game changing dut's

Hmm, maybe my idea of a game changer is different or maybe I don’t agree with the way that history is being written, or maybe it's really more about fashion, what is currently in vouge, in a notoriously copy-cat idiom...it was interesing to see some of that chicken-headed, big 80's hair a la mad-max this year, I'm glad they got it mastered in time for 80's retro craze

The only game changing I saw this years was rather minor and already mentioned and it was the Bluecoats use of electronics as backing atmospheric tracks (which were mixed horribly for their finals run and are apparently still not being judged as part of music ensemble )

Just wait, soon corps will figure out they can disguise a real-time live click track (with visual clues) as a musical effect and march their field shows to Dr Beat - good bye game changing dut's

As we see in all art forms, it takes a long time for "game changing" things to take effect, it is certainly not immediate, as I think some of the things that Star 93 did are just now starting to be effectively implemented. The only way to see what, if anything, BD 2010 will bring to the activity is to wait at least 10 years.

As we see in all art forms, it takes a long time for "game changing" things to take effect, it is certainly not immediate, as I think some of the things that Star 93 did are just now starting to be effectively implemented. The only way to see what, if anything, BD 2010 will bring to the activity is to wait at least 10 years.

I disagree, strongly

Most of Star 93 was played out by 99, go back and watch many of the mid-90’s shows and it will become obvious

It’s like that year 27 broke out double sided flags for the first time, about 50% of the corps had them the next year (I forget the year, it was back in the 70’s) then almost everyone had them and then they faded

Next we had a corps actually change their show flag for their finale, corps use to use the same flag for the entire show…the next year, more secondary flags followed and soon we had a different flag for every song

.I’ve seen rifle lines come and go and come and go again and again

They game changers (as being used in this thread) were a little more obvious, simpler to spot back then because they weren’t all used up

It’s mostly trends and gimmicks

The real game changers are the rules, the equipment and occasionally a teaching or marching philosophy

I disagree, strongly

Most of Star 93 was played out by 99, go back and watch many of the mid-90’s shows and it will become obvious

It’s like that year 27 broke out double sided flags for the first time, about 50% of the corps had them the next year (I forget the year, it was back in the 70’s) then almost everyone had them and then they faded

Next we had a corps actually change their show flag for their finale, corps use to use the same flag for the entire show…the next year, more secondary flags followed and soon we had a different flag for every song

.I’ve seen rifle lines come and go and come and go again and again

They game changers (as being used in this thread) were a little more obvious, simpler to spot back then because they weren’t all used up

It’s mostly trends and gimmicks

The real game changers are the rules, the equipment and occasionally a teaching or marching philosophy

I really think you should rewatch Star 93, because the things I'm talking about have nothing to do with what you're talking about

I really think you should rewatch Star 93, because the things I'm talking about have nothing to do with what you're talking about

Oh, I get it now…

Just an FYI, I saw Star 93 several times that year, I’d guess about 10 including finals…so I saw it in context and got the context and spoke with several people involved and I have seen it since on DVD too

Would you care to discuss James Joyce's Ulysses?

More dance, more toe down movement in brass/drumline. More crab stepping in hornline, which allows for much much faster tempos when combined with toe down on forwards. Continued and expanded diversity in visual movement beyond simple body movement and sculpting and towards real dance movement - BD '10.

Oh, I get it now…

Just an FYI, I saw Star 93 several times that year, I’d guess about 10 including finals…so I saw it in context and got the context and spoke with several people involved and I have seen it since on DVD too

Would you care to discuss James Joyce's Ulysses?

I guess I could, but I'll just tell that I'm smarter than you :thumbup:

Listen, this could go on forever, but we just disagree. It's fine.

I guess what we need to boil down, then, is what exactly BD did the last two years that other corps aren't / didn't.

Win.