Random Comments re: Blue Devil Family Day

I thought this year was the right time for me. I've put off joining since the 15 brass member days.......I had the family ok'd on it....they knew the schedule....when it came down to crunch time, rumblings started.

So........

I am now a spectator.

No regrets or anything, just an adjustment of summer time priorities. I had a great time, thankful for the oppurtunity, and appreciative of the acceptance that I felt trying to be a member of the drum corps.

In spite of the evil mantra......the corps is really a top notch organization. The members are motivated, the staff is excellent, the show is exceptional. I don't buy into the hype that surrounds a drum corps.....but I must say, this years corps has an aura of something special about it. There are no grand illusions.....but the standard of excellence has definitely been raised.

Regardless of placement back east........know this......a lot of members have had successful drum corps careers in their past.....they may be older, but tthe passion and desire is still there.

It's actually quite scary knowing the calibre of talent.......

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually quite scary knowing the calibre of talent.......

Rob,

It was a tough pill losing you so late in the season but I understand your situation. Maybe when the kids are a bit older.

There are a few knowlegable ones in each section of the corps that have been there, done that and know what it takes to be great. You were one of those sparks and I hope your short presence in the line will have a lasting effect. Besides, your replacement is a lot easier to look at than you :huh:

Have a great summer and stay away from the wine and cheese crowd, it's bad for you Evil image.

You were one of those sparks and I hope your short presence in the line will have a lasting effect. 

Thanks Doug!

They know my personal motivation:

Attacks, finish phrases, strive to play every single note of the show, during the show flawlessly.....play LOUD when asked....and the most important thing.......when the horns are down....the entire line needs to face to their right with their second valve finger being warmed by the sun and say "HEY LEADS..........."

Besides, your replacement is a lot easier to look at than you :huh:

LOL! I've heard.

Have a great summer and stay away from the wine and cheese crowd, it's bad for you Evil image.

LOL! How can I do that......I live 45 minutes from Napa. Not only great wine....but some killer pasta sauce as well.....or at least additives for killer pasta sauce.

Well.......If you guys are at mars this summer....being close by and all....if time is available, I'll work on some smoked turkey breasts or marinated shrimp [ the right way....not that little dinky thing way ]

Edited by bd5times

I hear ya Rob...........I too enjoyed my short experience with the 'gades...........however, when it came down to it, my family took priority also. My joining in mid May AFTER plans had been made for the summer, and although the family had backed me doing this, I just didn't feel right, so it looks like November is a better fit for me.

Renegades is truly a class organization, the two camps I attended were fun. I had my reservations attempting to come back to Drum Corps after such a long layoff (23 years), but I was greeted by a support system that made me feel like I could do it again.

Good luck you evil people, and I'll see ya in Hayward, and Concord.

Peace

Wow, two losses!!!! That ain't good. But completely understandable. I'm lucky I get to do this, still! That doesn't mean my wife doesn't give me #### for it. But she's supportive for now. I'm gonna ride this train til she breaks! ^0^

Edited by FYWW