You know drum corps is dying when.............

Yes, I am a stats junky. lol

Lady after my own heart. After I graduated college I found out I was four credits shy of a minor in Math (whatever the #### that means).

And Jim, Yes I have all the corps names listed as well. Keep in mind I only listed the corps that the DCA score history database provided. There might be information missing (shows, corps...)

Understand on the missing data. Info on the other Sr circuits is hard to find too. About all I have of the RCA <69-78> is the championships and a few other shows. As for the 1980s ICA I only have a few shows. LOL, never found the scores from the 1985 ICA Championship.... and I was in it!!! :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what the IRS requires them to publish, of course. The 990 seems to require that the "current highest compensated employees" be listed if they earn more than $100,000. As Hopkins isn't listed, he presumably earns less than this. Presuming the form isn't wrong, the figure garfield reported is either incorrect or from a different year. In any case, I don't care about this; I trust he's paid fairly and not exorbitantly, and was just trying to work out the discrepancy.

The 900s ask for PAST officers and directors currently earning more than $100m. Current o/d's earning more than $50m are required.

I don't care either what GH makes (more power to him!), after all, he YEA! is a $4mm operation. What I object to is his contention that DCI staff is "bloated" when the ED runs a $10mm organization and makes as much he does.

I think very few non-profits see an annual surplus of 25%! Certainly not on a regular basis.

I'll ask again: DCI paid out $2.4mm to the corps (about 24%). I consider this "surplus" in the context of DCI's mission. And they kept some for the office as well. Wouldn't you consider this to be a "great" return, and according to your comment, Brigade, a better return than most non-profits on a regular basis?

Please listen again to the Finals performance...much of the first half of the show is based on Los Tontos...also they reprise it at the end of the show. Really there is much more of Cuban Fire Suite in the show than most people realize.

This is the crux of the problem - people don't recognize the music. I am pretty familiar with Cuban Fire and I only recognized about 2 bars of La Suerte De Los Tontos (aka "The Sweat of Tonto").

Also - you say "listen again". This is another big problem in my opinion. It seems to me that more and more, it takes multple viewings of a corps to connect with and start appreciating their show. The vast majority of people that see a drumcorps show during the summer attend one show. They don't get a chance to see it again. And so they don't connect.

That could explain why you don't see growth in the fan base like you used to. We aren't creating very many new fans because it's only the people who are hardcore (hardcorps?) enough to go to multiple shows in a summer that are becoming fans anyway.

This is the crux of the problem - people don't recognize the music. I am pretty familiar with Cuban Fire and I only recognized about 2 bars of La Suerte De Los Tontos (aka "The Sweat of Tonto").

Also - you say "listen again". This is another big problem in my opinion. It seems to me that more and more, it takes multple viewings of a corps to connect with and start appreciating their show. The vast majority of people that see a drumcorps show during the summer attend one show. They don't get a chance to see it again. And so they don't connect.

That could explain why you don't see growth in the fan base like you used to. We aren't creating very many new fans because it's only the people who are hardcore (hardcorps?) enough to go to multiple shows in a summer that are becoming fans anyway.

Just because you didn't recognize the original source music (which I did) in their music, doesn't mean you can't be entertained by it.

Just because you didn't recognize the original source music (which I did) in their music, doesn't mean you can't be entertained by it.

Before high school my only exposure to music consisted of Soul Train and top 40 radio. I found Drum Corps and a whole world opened up. My favorite type of music is Classical with Aaron Copeland's Ballet for Martha being my favorite pieceof music.

But I have only found a couple of pieces if music that I want to find out about. I think people saying "theres nothing I could hum to on the way out" is a problem. That means people aren't being entertained enough to remember the music once the show is over.

Drum corps is getting to be like a drunk one night stand. Its good while its happening but yu can't rmemeber her name the next day.

Let's put it this way...it seems as though a large number of people had a hard time connecting to the musical selection of Blue Devils show this year. Strangely, people aren't saying similar things about Madison. I am not saying they need to do a Madison show, but if you want people to offer up more than a smattering of applause you need to choose more wisely.

As I said to my friend after I saw BD, "They're the best corps out there, but if they want people to get up off their butts and applaud, they need to pick music that more people will enjoy."

Before high school my only exposure to music consisted of Soul Train and top 40 radio. I found Drum Corps and a whole world opened up. My favorite type of music is Classical with Aaron Copeland's Ballet for Martha being my favorite piece of music.

But I have only found a couple of pieces if music that I want to find out about. I think people saying "theres nothing I could hum to on the way out" is a problem. That means people aren't being entertained enough to remember the music once the show is over.

Drum corps is getting to be like a drunk one night stand. Its good while its happening but yu can't rmemeber her name the next day.

That is certainly one thing that matters. It's not the most important thing to me, it's to learn, but I don't do that at a drum corps show for sure.

Let's put it this way...it seems as though a large number of people had a hard time connecting to the musical selection of Blue Devils show this year. Strangely, people aren't saying similar things about Madison. I am not saying they need to do a Madison show, but if you want people to offer up more than a smattering of applause you need to choose more wisely.

As I said to my friend after I saw BD, "They're the best corps out there, but if they want people to get up off their butts and applaud, they need to pick music that more people will enjoy."

It's just a matter of preference. I'm not interested in shows that require no thought or energy to enjoy.

I dont ever think in my thirty years that I had to "think" about a show to enjoy it....getting "involved" is just an option and usually just happens as I watch it.....I remember back in 1981, I was baffled and confused when 27th Lancers came otl and it wasnt "Folk song suite" ...by the time they were done with Crown Imperial, I was intrigued and entertained by a song I never heard before and thus started my exploring and I have unearthed a multitude of songs I never even knew existed..the beauty of loving the activity.

G

I dont ever think in my thirty years that I had to "think" about a show to enjoy it....getting "involved" is just an option and usually just happens as I watch it.....I remember back in 1981, I was baffled and confused when 27th Lancers came otl and it wasnt "Folk song suite" ...by the time they were done with Crown Imperial, I was intrigued and entertained by a song I never heard before and thus started my exploring and I have unearthed a multitude of songs I never even knew existed..the beauty of loving the activity.

G

I'm talking about levels of enjoyment. The best shows, and art, have an intellectual component and enjoyment component and can satisfy both. There are plenty of shows that require energy to get a certain level of show, or just simply enjoy the good performance levels.