You know drum corps is dying when.............

not like BD really played it :thumbup:

about half of the opener was Los Tontos and they reprised it at the end of the show.

I say this again...if BD would have performed Asphalt Cocktail regardless if Bluecoats were doing it or not, I don't believe we'd be having any discussion regarding their 2010 repertoire.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about half of the opener was Los Tontos and they reprised it at the end of the show.

I say this again...if BD would have performed Asphalt Cocktail regardless if Bluecoats were doing it or not, I don't believe we'd be having any discussion regarding their 2010 repertoire.

I'll second this on Cocktail. I was quite let down by 'Coats' arrangement and think BD would have done it MUCH better. The original drives and drives and drives, but 'Coats only had about 4 bars that gave me that feeling.

Hope someone- BD or the like - picks it up next year.

Drum corps is not a non profit organization anymore not when you have 40 staff being paid plus huge budgets and the kids pay to be the product.

Staff being paid and organizations running on large budgets has absolutely nothing to do with being classified as a non profit organization...

Touching on a couple things...

You publish your repertoire and you play no RECOGNISABLE songs from it

Heaven forbid that someone decides to sample anything but the main portion of a piece. See: "Amen Break"

The fans are in the stands complaining that they have to wait for an “exciting” corps……..And they are at the World Finals!!!

It's because those 'fans' that are complaining are probably old codgers like you that #### and moan about how much they hate modern drum corps but still show up year after year.

You know drum corps is dying when……………

Sir, you must know your magnificent-if-brief essay has already achieved classic status and is already in the same league as Bill Bastian's prophetic "Drum Corps Died - 1971" t-shirt, and frankly and without modesty (the latter attribute being quite rare in these forums anyway), some of my own doodings here over the past decade.

Those many defensive responses it is arousing can't be so much based on anger as they are on denial, similar to the moment a patient gets bad news from a physician.

(I recall a book along those lines titled "First You Cry".)

You've struck the elusive nerve with sheer truth, and as concisely as a John Donne sonnet. Please keep telling it.

Just looking at corps that went to championships,

11 Open Class corps 2000

13 Open Class corps 2009

5 Class A Corps 2000

11 Class A corps 2009

It looks good like that, but you have to add that while there are more corps now in DCA, the number of members per corps is significantly smaller than in 2000 with in exception maybe the top 3 open class corps.

That situation is even more true when you see 2 corps that have been so succesful in past years struggle with membership and go inactive in 2010. (Brigadiers and Crusaders)

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

Sir, you must know your magnificent-if-brief essay

Is a list an essay?

Bill Bastian's prophetic "Drum Corps Died - 1971" t-shirt

A regular Nostradamus there.

Those many defensive responses it is arousing can't be so much based on anger as they are on denial, similar to the moment a patient gets bad news from a physician ... You've struck the elusive nerve with sheer truth, and as concisely as a John Donne sonnet.

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;

For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow

Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me...

Or maybe the death of drum corps won't be so bad.