You know drum corps is dying when.............

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Sigh* I promised I wouldn't get back on here after tour/aging out. Oops...

Drum Corps is far from dead. I admit my ignorance when I say that I read very little of this thread, but I feel that it isn't needed. Drum Corps is thriving, at least in the eyes of the performers. I just aged out after marching my second year with the Troopers and I can say that at no point during the season did I feel any lack of support for both the corps and the activity as a whole. Some call it a tear from the activity, some call it a bastardization of what once was, some even consider it marching band. Of course everything evolves. Look at music in general. You can't tell me some die-hard Mozart fans weren't ###### off when they heard Beethoven's 3rd, stating "This isn't what music is supposed to sound like". But I can say without a shred of doubt in my mind that the family that I grew to love and cherish this summer is something that has stayed a standard of DCI since its inception. And that is the most important aspect of all.

I understand the concern. We're on the edge of a major overhaul, I don't think anyone will deny that. But who's to say that's an entirely bad thing? Of course I, along with almost everyone else I know, want to see the activity stay where it is, I love the format that it's taken on and is in the current state of. But there are some things that are going to change, it's just inevitable. How's that saying go - "The only constant in life is change"?

People criticize many things - the show design, the uniforms, the musical selections, the difficulty of the drill - all of that, and yet the staff of each of these corps continue to push their members in the same direction, and here's why - the MEMBERS ENJOY IT. My friends at Cadets will tell you they had fun with their show, as will the friends who marched Coats, Crown, SCV, Glassmen, Academy, and Pioneer. And there's a reason I have the crossed sabers with HLD in front of it tattooed on my left shoulder blade. I'm willing to put money down that it's more about the kids than ever. At least that's what it's like in the organization that I grew up in. And if it's not consistent across the board, then that's something each individual will have to deal with, but I firmly believe that every director of a world class corps is doing it for their members and the salvation of the activity. Even the dreaded George Hopkins stated that he wants to change the activity because that's how he believes it will survive.

Drum Corps is not dying. The drum corps that individuals know it to be may no longer be there, but at the heart of every group lies the same qualities and expectations that have always been. And that's what is keeping drum corps alive.

*Sigh* I promised I wouldn't get back on here after tour/aging out. Oops...

. Even the dreaded George Hopkins stated that he wants to change the activity because that's how he believes it will survive.

Drum Corps is not dying. The drum corps that individuals know it to be may no longer be there, but at the heart of every group lies the same qualities and expectations that have always been. And that's what is keeping drum corps alive.

Your one line tells more than your whole statement even though it was well said. Drum corps isn't dying but the master George wants to change it to KEEP IT ALIVE. If it ain't broke, there is no need to fix it then, right?

Tough to compete with a generation raised by game consoles, cheat codes, and the easy button. They are now showing their influences on the field and selling tickets doing so.

Yeah cause the drill you had when you marched was SOOO much harder then the drill that is out there now. Give me a break.

Your one line tells more than your whole statement even though it was well said. Drum corps isn't dying but the master George wants to change it to KEEP IT ALIVE. If it ain't broke, there is no need to fix it then, right?

Good call, but notice I never said that what George was doing was right, nor do I agree with his actions.

Good call, but notice I never said that what George was doing was right, nor do I agree with his actions.

Touche'

Yeah cause the drill you had when you marched was SOOO much harder then the drill that is out there now. Give me a break.

It was, when half your corps were complete rookies with NO prior training on any instrument let alone marching technique. the music major was few and far between in most corps. Average age for a lot of corps in my day was less than 16 and a lot of them had 13 y/o rookies, myself included. Didn't know how to play an instrument let alone read music, then remember the drill???? It was hard, but the drill of nowdays would never have been thought of. We didn't have computers simulate the drill and it was all done by hand, including changes. Dot books never existed. You just memorized it the first time you were told it. There are lots of differences, but we can all pretend it was really easy back then. Almost forgot, your bus had air.....if you opened the window. Inflatable beds DIDN'T exist, bring a sleeping bag and live with it. Could go on and on, but you are right, there ain't nothing easy now days.

It was, when half your corps were complete rookies with NO prior training on any instrument let alone marching technique. the music major was few and far between in most corps. Average age for a lot of corps in my day was less than 16 and a lot of them had 13 y/o rookies, myself included. Didn't know how to play an instrument let alone read music, then remember the drill???? It was hard, but the drill of nowdays would never have been thought of. We didn't have computers simulate the drill and it was all done by hand, including changes. Dot books never existed. You just memorized it the first time you were told it. There are lots of differences, but we can all pretend it was really easy back then. Almost forgot, your bus had air.....if you opened the window. Inflatable beds DIDN'T exist, bring a sleeping bag and live with it. Could go on and on, but you are right, there ain't nothing easy now days.

You say potato, I say potato. Unprovable arguments are the most fun.

You say potato, I say potato. Unprovable arguments are the most fun.

Not really an argument, both cases have it rough, just in completely different ways. I just get tired of hearing how easy it was back in the day from kids who weren't even alive, "back in the day". I also get tired of my comrade dinos telling the youth how "easy" they have it. There is a reason kids don't march 12 years of corps anymore. They couldn't live through that beating on their bodies.

when, dci still hasnt reached out to its alum that went pro as performers to retain them as consultants and ask them how to sell tickets and make some real money at the shows?