You know drum corps is dying when.............

when, dci still hasnt reached out to its alum that went pro as performers to retain them as consultants and ask them how to sell tickets and make some real money at the shows?

Good idea. Different markets perhaps, but it couldn't hurt to get their perspective.

Given that they aren't always good at figuring things out, maybe you performers out there could reach out to them?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I write this, the top two topic titles read, "You know drum corps is dying when...Rennick resigns."

before i saw Mr. Boo's post, i was going to say "you know drum corps is dying when Rennick resigns from Phantom..." lol

It was, when half your corps were complete rookies with NO prior training on any instrument let alone marching technique. the music major was few and far between in most corps. Average age for a lot of corps in my day was less than 16 and a lot of them had 13 y/o rookies, myself included. Didn't know how to play an instrument let alone read music, then remember the drill???? It was hard, but the drill of nowdays would never have been thought of. We didn't have computers simulate the drill and it was all done by hand, including changes. Dot books never existed. You just memorized it the first time you were told it. There are lots of differences, but we can all pretend it was really easy back then. Almost forgot, your bus had air.....if you opened the window. Inflatable beds DIDN'T exist, bring a sleeping bag and live with it. Could go on and on, but you are right, there ain't nothing easy now days.

Uhm....I get that you were trying to make a point....but we marched right around the same time (different corps, but same time period)....dot books did exist (much to my dismay at the time! :tongue: ), our buses sometimes had A/C (although we also did have to push-start them on occasion), we did have some young rookies, but most had either played an instrument at school or marched somewhere else. (and the 1/2 the corps being rookies, still happens today....Cadets had 60% rookies this year). This wasn't just at Cadets either...the smaller corps I marched in were the similar...with the exception of the dot books.

Sure, there are difference between then and now, but there are more commonalities than differences. Let's not start with the "BITD we marched uphill both ways in the snow stuff."

At the moment I write this, the top two topic titles read, "You know drum corps is dying when...Rennick resigns."

And the next few titles nearly make a coherent sentence; more so if you strike one word:

"What if Finals 2014 snare tilt Indianapolis attendance?"

And right now, it reads, (and I am not jesting), "You know drum corps is dying when...after seeing Star of Indiana alum, Rennick resigns."

Wow; that performance must have had quite an impact on him.

You know drum corps is dead when drum corps stops innovating.

Completely agree. I've stopped liking Crown because they've lately just been rehashing old ideas (popular classical music medley, Cadets '08 remix, Greatest Hits '010). I liked it when they took chances ('04-'07). If they could maintain that adventurous aspect, but with the instructors and attitude of recent years, THEN they have a true shot at the title.

I never said that. My reply was in response to the quick dismissal of being against electronically accompanied and/or enhanced horn lines as dinosauric.

Yeah cause the drill you had when you marched was SOOO much harder then the drill that is out there now. Give me a break.
Edited by ContraJohn

Drum corps is band?
Well, is drum corps not a band of marching musicians? I think it's fair to call them a marching band then. It's like the whole square/rectangle thing. Every drum corps is a marching band. Not every marching band is a drum corps.

banana1.jpg