You know drum corps is dying when.............

Star left over 20 years ago...

No, Star left in 1993/1994 (16/17 years ago), and 16/17 is less than 20.

I don't think its about the choice of music. I think its the arranging. While I guess people would consider me a Dinosaur (I marched in 84) my issue is play the dang song. Play the whole song. Not snippets and then bleeps and blaps, but the whole thing. Take Troopers 2009. Take the Blue Devils after 2002-3. Play the dang song.

Like Cadets, Phantom, Spirit, Crossmen, Boston, Bluecoats and others did this year?

Drum Corps is dying. Less than 25 corps in world class (of which some shouldnt be) 15 corps in open class.

There are 24 corps in Open Class...

Um, Cavies mic'd their soloists too (it also sounded like crap) and since when does a microphone actually improve the sound of a live instrument? Especially through those horrid speakers DCI corps are using. Oi vey.

Mics don't improve the sound. The perform must improve the sound by not trying to overblow the instrument and using good technique. Then the better sound can be amplified and heard by all!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, guess drum corps is dead. And who in their right mind would wear military dress shoes for drum corps? That just sounds painful. And as someone who performs in them regularly, I think I can safely say that I'd NEVER want to march a modern drum corps show in anything but, say, Vipers...A hybrid marching and DANCE shoe.

Drum corps is dead. Time for everyone to disperse. Nothing to see here. Except, you know, fantastic outdoor STAGE PRODUCTIONS by talented young PERFORMERS.

Simply don't refer to it as drum corps. DCI doesn't want to touch the drum corps connotation with a 10' flag pole, hence "Summer Music Games."

Mics don't improve the sound. The perform must improve the sound by not trying to overblow the instrument and using good technique. Then the better sound can be amplified and heard by all!

Well that's just ridiculous, it's a dang brass instrument. You know, that ones that originated on the battlefield....because everyone could hear them!!

If a player doesn't have the ability to play loud enough to be heard from the field, while maintaining a good quality sound, they shouldn't be a soloist. Heck, they likely shouldn't be marching in the brass line of a top 12 corps.

You know drum corps is dying when……………

Your drum major doesn't use a baton or a mace but yells, "Plug it in!"

to start the show.

Or the drum major let's someone in the pit know that it's time to "Press the Play button" to start the show!

Simply don't refer to it as drum corps. DCI doesn't want to touch the drum corps connotation with a 10' flag pole, hence "Summer Music Games."

If that were true, it wouldn't be Drum Corps International.

Wow, second time in a week I've encountered that term, that I'd never heard of before. The other was an explanation of why an unremarkable stereo system could cost more than twice as much as a year of college tuition in 1964 and many many times less today. In short, some endeavors simply can't be made significantly more efficient.

Yep. Health care is another of these types of industries.

It really explains why there are so few touring big bands around today. And most of the

ones that still exist are non-profits, like Lincoln Center.

Edited by BDUFLS

You know Drum Corps is dying when....................... people stop saying that it is dying. I love Drum Corps every year, from when I marched 81 to 89 all the way to the great 2010 season we just witnessed. As long as there are fans there will be Drum Corps. Blast away all you want, but 2010 was great. Congrats to all the kids this year that blew me away, cant wait to do it all agian in 2011.

Long live DCI!

GO MADISON SCOUTS!

If a player doesn't have the ability to play loud enough to be heard from the field, while maintaining a good quality sound, they shouldn't be a soloist. Heck, they likely shouldn't be marching in the brass line of a top 12 corps.

What if the solo required actual dynamic contrast? Something beyond f-fffff (in the lower range)?

There is nothing productive AT ALL in such a critical point of view... so, why not instead focus on what can be productive? If you don't like the current trends in drum corps performance, get involved with an alumni corps or one of the senior corps that might be more in line with your current tastes.

Yeah, original poster. Go do one of these other things. Just don't dare express an opinion on the direction of an activity that you love.

First of all, meh.

Secondly, Blast isn't drum corps.

Thirdly, they did a LOT of things wrong and as semi-successful as it has been (I say "semi" because usually successful broadway shows actually pay their performers more than a pittance...though in true drum corps fashion the producers and staff made a lot more cash than the ones doing the actual work, lol), I think there are plenty of examples of corps on the field surpassing what they put up on that stage in many ways (BD 2010 being one example outright, plenty of other examples abound).

Blast is neat, I like Blast. But to call it the "pinnacle" of drum corps is ridiculous. They're just one successful iteration of marching band stuff (and so far removed from drum corps instrumentally AND programming-wise that they really ARE more like a marching band than an actual drum corps, too).

Having said all that, I think Blast is great, so don't get me wrong. :tongue:

BAHAHAHAHA

You SHOW em nOOb,they know nothing about drum corps huh ?

:tongue::worthy::worthy::worthy: