Why should any top 12 corp perform in CA?

Why should any corp go to the west coast for a show? Certainly, the DCP favorites rarely get out here, and they have zero downside in their decision. But, any west coast corp MUST come to the east if they are to compete in DCI. So, do you see any downside if Phantom, Cadets, Cavies, Crown never get to CA except for the 1 time in 30 years that we had a finals out here?

the reasons they don't

Money

no need with the finals, tour, qtrs, semis all east of the rockies.

Timing: DCI does not schedule any shows for major corps after june.

False reasons:

Venues are not available. Best venue for me this year, Standford. 2nd best, UOP. Most overrated, Lucas Oil

Since DCI is controlled by the directors, it seems like the directors pretty much don't want to be out here. For most of DCI, it seems like Denver and San Antonio defines the west. Hasn't been like that for 150 years and the CA gold rush.

Makes a lot of folks like me pretty frustrated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there will be a discussion at DCI meetings about touring models that will be addressing just such questions. I also think there is a monster of a fan base out that direction that would benefit from more shows with more corps, and later in the season. Since we're stuck with the 10 year deal in Indy for 6 more seasons (unless there is a get-out-of-jail-free card in the contract somewhere), maybe there is time enough to completely rethink drum corps touring models and support the West Coast fans - and those along the way - who would love to see a docket of 8 or so shows that are complete and well on the road to cleanliness!

Most overrated, Lucas Oil

For something to be overrated wouldnt it have to be rated well? I think most people hate it.

That said, this week in indianapolis with it being so freakin hot and humid, i think we were glad to have it indoors for that at least.

Sort of interesting ... Blue Devils get slammed for making "so much money" ... and they probably use a nice chunk of it for transportation to get the A and B corps across our beautiful country.

BUT, when it comes to getting midwest / east corps out to California, it's hard because "it's too expensive".

So, if people complain about BD making "so much money", they might want to take this into consideration ... it ain't cheap to put two champion drum corps on the road!

As far as drum corps in California ... their (World Class) season ends when SCV and BD leave before July 4th. If you live in California and want to see World Class drum corps you have to travel to TX, AL, PA, or IN to see a decent show. It doesn't seem fair to the California fans.

Why should any corp go to the west coast for a show? Certainly, the DCP favorites rarely get out here, and they have zero downside in their decision. But, any west coast corp MUST come to the east if they are to compete in DCI. So, do you see any downside if Phantom, Cadets, Cavies, Crown never get to CA except for the 1 time in 30 years that we had a finals out here?

the reasons they don't

Money

no need with the finals, tour, qtrs, semis all east of the rockies.

Timing: DCI does not schedule any shows for major corps after june.

False reasons:

Venues are not available. Best venue for me this year, Standford. 2nd best, UOP. Most overrated, Lucas Oil

Since DCI is controlled by the directors, it seems like the directors pretty much don't want to be out here. For most of DCI, it seems like Denver and San Antonio defines the west. Hasn't been like that for 150 years and the CA gold rush.

Makes a lot of folks like me pretty frustrated.

I don't think the individual corps from the midwest and east coast have much incentive to travel to the west coast. The expense and travel time could be better spent on other things from their perspective. I would think DCI has an incentive to encourage top corps to get out west every few years, but maybe not. Compared to other regions, the west coast appears to have a much healthier Open Class ecosystem than the rest of the country. Maybe that's evidence in favor of pushing for *more* regionality rather than less.

The biggest reason why they should is that there is a large fan base on the West coast. 2007 proved it.

The costs are high for individual corps - lots of gas, lots of miles added to tour. OTOH, DCI could certainly draw several 10K audiences with late-season west coast shows of the top corps. I hope their discussions about changing the tour model can figure out a way to make it happen.

Sort of interesting ... Blue Devils get slammed for making "so much money" ... and they probably use a nice chunk of it for transportation to get the A and B corps across our beautiful country.

BUT, when it comes to getting midwest / east corps out to California, it's hard because "it's too expensive".

So, if people complain about BD making "so much money", they might want to take this into consideration ... it ain't cheap to put two champion drum corps on the road!

As far as drum corps in California ... their (World Class) season ends when SCV and BD leave before July 4th. If you live in California and want to see World Class drum corps you have to travel to TX, AL, PA, or IN to see a decent show. It doesn't seem fair to the California fans.

I can't argue with your logic, but I wonder...

If, say, Crown and Cadets trekked out to CA in July and stayed west until August would BD be willing to use some of their travel savings to help defray the cost of Crown and Cadets staying for a month?

I realize that the East Coast corps probably don't supplement BD's trek across the country, but if CA is dying for more shows, and BD makes "all that money"...

Just thinking out loud (and looking for a hiding place for when Plan9 shows up... :tongue: )

when did BD get slammed for making lots of money?

I think that it all comes down to Cash & Time. Imagine the $ The Cadets would have to invest in travelling to CA. The Cavaliers are admittedly a bit closer, but still the costs would be staggering for them, as well as the Regiment, Madison, & Coats. I doubt that "Prize Money" would even come close to offsetting the expense.

when did BD get slammed for making lots of money?

It's something that's been hung on BD -- and SCV to a slightly lesser extent -- for years before you were born.

When I marched, BD was the ONLY bingo game in Contra Costa County....we ran games 6 days a week.

Unfortunately, the fact that BD's revenues have dropped for various reasons hasn't gotten to some people yet.

Edited by 84BDsop