Asphalt Cocktail - Short Memories?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well duh, it's a standard scientific measure.

Awesome :thumbup:

I kind of think I like you and your sense of humor!

All respect to Mr. Downey, his arranging style is simply uninteresting to me. Always has been, and I doubt that will change.

The shows I end up loving are always determined by which musical arrangements I like. As a composer, I can't really help it. I listen for it and break it down. As such, it's really all about the arrangers for me, as opposed to the corps themselves. Thus, if I personally prefer, say, Doug Thrower over Wayne Downey, I believe it's a perfectly acceptable position and insults no one. Not everyone can love everything.

All respect to Mr. Downey, his arranging style is simply uninteresting to me. Always has been, and I doubt that will change.

The shows I end up loving are always determined by which musical arrangements I like. As a composer, I can't really help it. I listen for it and break it down. As such, it's really all about the arrangers for me, as opposed to the corps themselves. Thus, if I personally prefer, say, Doug Thrower over Wayne Downey, I believe it's a perfectly acceptable position and insults no one. Not everyone can love everything.

I just called Mr. Downey. He says he's sorry.

I just called Mr. Downey. He says he's sorry.

I don't think the sarcasm is necessary. My opinion is somehow invalid because it isn't yours, Tom? I stated a preference, nothing more. Not everyone will like everything. Downey is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it, and likely does often.

Except for the blink-and-you-miss-it minuscule bit of Niner-Two in the show.

Touche!! I forgot all about that!!

:thumbup:

If I had a thought that I would remotely change your mind...I would PM you.

On the other hand there are still DCP members that are able to decide without an agenda.

FACT FACT FACT !!!! I Love BD. Didn't like all of the show this year. Didn't hate it either. DID NOT CHANGE MY OPINION OF BD ONE BIT!! Still love BD. Excellence rules. BD could have played ASPHALT COCKTAIL if they wanted to. Corps do it all the time when other corps play the same schtuff. Maybe they'll play it in the future. Who knows. Would it have changed my mind about the show? Again, who knows.

more important than you'll ever know. Waffles are everything. On the first day, God created raffles and then he created us to eat them.

I love EATING RAFFLES and WAFFLES TOO !!! YUM YUM

I don't think the sarcasm is necessary. My opinion is somehow invalid because it isn't yours, Tom? I stated a preference, nothing more. Not everyone will like everything. Downey is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle it, and likely does often.

I really like this persons opinion... Simply because they stick to their true thoughts and OBSERVATIONS instead of what other people type or say.. I'm a huge BD fan, they are the biggest reason why I marched drum corps in the first place. Wayne has a UNIQUE style of writing. In my opinion, it appears that he goes for more of the Jazz, Big Band style where the top end dominates the bottom. Somewhat balanced, but definitely a strong suit for the higher tessitura voices. His arranging is STELLAR for this style. Doug Thrower's arranging is DIFFERENT... who is to say what is correct and what is not??? Really... Music is a flexible art. The listeners opinion changes constantly and what the listener wants to hear is ultimately what the reaction portrays... whether or not it may be something fresh or a rendition of an old standard with mild alteration... who cares??? This provides the AUDIENCE the opportunity to make their OWN MIND up about the product presented. Isn't that what every single person does when they listen to a new piece???..... Doug CHOOSES to write more across the voices, putting the melody in every voice.. Do YOU prefer this or not, that is the real question?? Why do some people listen to Bach and some people listen to Wagner?? Don't they write COMPLETELY different from one another... Too many people on these boards, and in life, rely on OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS to establish their own... It doesn't matter what your professor or instructor tells you is "correct", it is what you believe is correct and believe works for you.. That is why music is such a phenomenal art form, opinion is opinion... choose what you think is ideal, that is what makes it unique.

Edited by idlethreats